[SOLUTION] 802.1x wired authentication via networkmanager

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLUTION] 802.1x wired authentication via networkmanager

Postby azeem_k » Oct 2nd, '12, 07:42

Hello,

My office place is moving to a more secure network and they require even wired ports to be authenticated by 802.1x. The IT supports only Windows and they have configured my machine on Windows appropriately. Linux--no support. Googling reports back results only for wireless clients.

I am using Mageia 2 (x64), KDE 4.8 . How do I go about setting this up?

Thanks,
Azeem
azeem_k

Re: wired 802.1x setup?

Postby isadora » Oct 2nd, '12, 07:50

~topic moved from "Basic support" by moderator ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 2nd, '12, 16:10

Can you please give more details on the setup, like what authentication mechanism is used and so on?
Otherwise, should be possible, just take a look at f.ex. How to configure wired 802.1X for Linux with Network Manager
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby azeem_k » Oct 3rd, '12, 09:02

Hi,
Thanks for replying. From the Android smartphone setup the details are as follows:

Authentication: PEAP
Anonymous Identity: None
Phase 2 Authentication: MSCHAPV2
No CA certificate
No User Certificate

Actually, another colleague was able to setup on his Debian machine using Network Manager and he asked me to do the same. But the instructions for Debian are not matching. Moreover, after installing knetworkmanager, I clicked on the icon and selected the Configure option. However, no option to enable 802.1x is visible anywhere. Only the typical settings you see when you use drakconnect are available in the settings.

Thanks.

doktor5000 wrote:Can you please give more details on the setup, like what authentication mechanism is used and so on?
Otherwise, should be possible, just take a look at f.ex. How to configure wired 802.1X for Linux with Network Manager
azeem_k

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 3rd, '12, 11:10

Well, you should not use knetworkmanager, but networkmanager directly, this comes with the package networkmanager-applet.
But before that, use drakconnect to re-configure your wired connection, but changing nothing, until the last "summary" step, where you make sure that "Allow interface to be controlled by Network Manager" is enabled, and then try to configure it using networkmanager.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby azeem_k » Oct 4th, '12, 11:57

Thank you very much. It worked beautifully.

I uninstalled knetworkmanager.
Ran nm-applet from the command line and configured the eth0 interface for 802.1x

Thanks again.
azeem_k

Re: [SOLUTION] 802.1x wired authentication via networkmanage

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '12, 20:53

I've adjusted the title to something more meaningful, marked it as solution and moved it into the Tips subforum ;)
----
doktor5000

Return to The magician suggests...