[SOLUTION] for audio problems with HP DV6 and DV7

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLUTION] for audio problems with HP DV6 and DV7

Postby thesleeplessdream » Aug 13th, '12, 13:35

After coming close to abandoning linux because of the poor shape of the debian based distros, which I usually used, I decided to try out Mageia and have fallen in love with it. The reason being is while hardware is automatically setup, Mageia provides utilities allowing for tweaking and even for alternative drivers to be chosen from a list. With that said, I had one small problem and that was with audio. My laptop is specifically an HP Pavilion DV7-3165dx* using the intel_hda drivers.

Now, after I had created an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file and added "options snd-hda-intel model=hp dv5 enable_msi=1" like I always had to under Linux to fix the problem of sound coming out of both the headphone port AND the speakers at the same time, sound would only come out of the headphone port.

After some research, it became apparent that this was a problem with the kernel version used. So my solution is simple for fixing this. The solution is to upgrade the kernel. ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib ... x86_64.rpm will give you the Linux Kernel 3.5.1, which fixed the problem and so far seems to be running quite stable. I did read some problems with people who are using the proprietary drivers, but I'm sure this issue could be worked around.

If I notice any problems with the kernel or stability, I'll post it on here, but until the older kernel gets patched or something, this seems like the easiest solution. :mrgreen:
Last edited by thesleeplessdream on Aug 15th, '12, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
thesleeplessdream

Re: Solution for the Audio Problems with the DV6, DV7

Postby thesleeplessdream » Aug 13th, '12, 13:37

Also, if that link were to not work because they updated the kernel, then use this link: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib ... e/release/ and look for the packaged labeled kernel-desktop-xxx. Also, if you have Google Chrome installed, I have found that with the new kernel, the html5 player is no longer glitchy :D
thesleeplessdream

Re: [SOLUTION] for audio problems with HP DV6 and DV7

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '12, 20:16

Thanks for sharing that :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLUTION] for audio problems with HP DV6 and DV7

Postby thesleeplessdream » Aug 23rd, '12, 23:03

Hey, just writing to say that the Kernel update: 3.3.8, which I was able to install today does not fix the issue at hand, which is unfortunate... So for those still looking for a solution, look for the 3.5.x kernel from the link posted above.
thesleeplessdream

Return to The magician suggests...