[COLLECTION] Unofficial Mageia repositories.

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[COLLECTION] Unofficial Mageia repositories.

Postby zugunder » Mar 1st, '12, 00:16

edit doktor5000 02/2022: As an update to the list, the following repositories are still active. The original post can be found further below, but after a quick check none of the other repositories seem to be available anymore.

Some more can be found in our wiki at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Ways_to_install_programs

As you probably already know, there exist several unofficial Mageia repositories, maintained by enthusiasts :-).
I know 5 of them, and hope you'll find something useful there, which will justify the work of their maintainers.
So, in alphabetical order of the countries of origin:

1. Czech Republic
http://petos.cz/rpms/mageia-1
For 32- and 64-bit distributions, contains many games, but not only them (for example, clementine-1.0.1 is available). Has a list of the packages with brief description, but it looks like everything is in Czech. Additional repos for Mandriva are available as well. However, I did not find out how to download separate packages manually...

2. Greece.
http://mageia-gr.org/
A repo with minimalistic design, assorted 32- and 64-bit packages. Links to the Greek Mageia subforum page if I understood it correctly. Also available are ISOs of CD versions of some "openrp-1.0.3-KDE4" distribution, international and Greek, 32-bit only. I think the guys from the Greek sub-forum should know about it more...

3. Poland.
http://repo.mageia.org.pl/
Serious guys... have separate stable and testing 32- and 64-bit repositories - great respect for that. As far as I could see, no package description and everything is in Polish. Also their own "The Magic Remix" distribution is available.

4. Russia.
http://mageia1.ru/
A set of various packages (32- and 64-bit) with brief descriptions in Russian AND English. Mostly office- , multimedia- and communication-oriented (contains cuneiform, yagf, goldendict, deluge, IMs and players).

5. Spain (?)
ftp://ftp.blogdrake.net/mageia/mageia1/
This repo is probably the biggest one of all 5. No descriptions, just a list of packages (32- and 64-bit). Looks like it's been around for rather a long time. If you visit http://blogdrake.net/ and speak Spanish, you'll find lots of interesting on Mageia1 and Mandriva 2011.

So here they are and good luck! But, guys, if anything from the above mentioned repos doesn't work as expected or does something bad to your system - you know who is to blame and who is not ;-).
Last edited by doktor5000 on Mar 8th, '22, 00:49, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: adjusted thread title, updated list of repositories
zugunder

Re: Unofficial Mageia1 repositories.

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 1st, '12, 12:50

I've got another one:

6. http://mageia.beranger.org/mageia/
Only for Cauldron so far, and only a small but well-chosen selection of packages, for example:
calibre (complete e-book library solution)
pushover (once a famous MS-DOS puzzle)
gnome-mastermind
pytraffic (a Rush Hour puzzle)
quarry (multi-purpose GUI for several board games, notably for GNU Go, which should be added as “gnugo --mode gtp”)
gnome-specimen (it allows you to compare visually several typefaces at once)
cuneiform-qt, yagf and kbookocr (different GUIs for cuneiform-linux 1.1.0, a rather good multilanguage OCR)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Mar 1st, '12, 14:41

I understand that all these repositories contain only packages which are [not | not yet] available in the official repos, is that right?
If so it would be interesting to ask each of the maintainers of these repos about their reasons to run that repository and not use the official Mageia packaging path. Don't get me wrong, this is not some kind of attempt to round up everybody into the official Mageia ranch, I am interested in the reasons they have. May be we could learn something there.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby zugunder » Mar 1st, '12, 19:12

I think all those guys know well about "the official Mageia packaging path", so that the main reason for running their separate repositories is actually independence... and from Mageia team as well. I talked to one of them, but he obviously preferred to stay aside from any organization - and I am not going to investigate his reasons. He just doesn't want - and that's not my business why...
zugunder

Postby wobo » Mar 1st, '12, 19:29

Of course everybody is free to do so, my intention here is to see if there is anything Mageia can do to improve the situation. Sometimes the reason is independence from any organisation (meaning the freedom from any obligation or commitment), sometimes it's a different opinion about this or that rule. But sometimes it is misunderstanding or misinformation. I want to find out those because IMHO each single external repo is one too much. We are not at Mandriva any more.

From my personal view: I'd never use a 3rd-party repo. Even if there is a package I need I would first try to get it packed inside Mageia.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby zugunder » Mar 1st, '12, 19:47

wobo wrote:Sometimes the reason is independence from any organization (meaning the freedom from any obligation or commitment)...

I'd say this is the main reason, at least for the guy I talked to.
wobo wrote:But sometimes it is misunderstanding or misinformation. I want to find out those because IMHO each single external repo is one too much. We are not at Mandriva any more.

I'm afraid I did not quite understand what you mean here - especially "each single external repo is one too much". Could you explain that in more detail?
On the other hand, several of the repos I mentioned have existed for a while (some have sub-repos for Mandriva 2009 for example), so I do not think that misinformation is the actual reason - too much time has passed...
UPD. Sorry, I think I got you wrong here - did you mean that the problem might be that those guys still think that Magaia equals to former Mandriva, just having a different name and that's why they don't want to collaborate?
Last edited by zugunder on Mar 1st, '12, 20:12, edited 3 times in total.
zugunder

Postby alf » Mar 1st, '12, 19:58

I agree to wobo, if i'm looking for a mageia package I'd like to find it in the official mageia repos and not in any other thirdparty repo spread all over the world.
Therefore "each single external repo is one too much".
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby wobo » Mar 1st, '12, 20:10

zugunder wrote:I'm afraid I did not quite understand what you mean here - especially "each single external repo is one too much". Could you explain that in more detail?

With this sentence I'm coming from the understanding that one central repo (implying overall cooperation of packagers, using same standards and policies, same level of QA, etc.) has an advantage over small repos scattered all over the place.
I know that a lot of communities and even single packagers maintained their own repos outside of Mandriva (there's one on my server: MUD). This caused some problems here and there because not all were following the same policies and standards - there were even people who violated license terms in their repo. OTOH those repos often had the latest version of popular applications earlier than the official repos (sometimes because they did not spend as much time on QA as the "official" guys). Result: young and eager grasshoppers saw that there was a new version of Foo somewhere, installed that and then came to the forums with egg in their face.

Yes, that's one of the extreme examples, but such things can best be avoided when all are following same policies and doing same level of QA. Ergo: the less 3rd-party repos, the better.

As for the "Mandriva" argument: well, we all know that not everybody was happy all over with the Mandriva company. So many groups/communities had exactly the dislike of the company as main reason to do their own. Then, Mageia is a community project where we try to have a different understanding of community than Mandriva was always ready to announce on paper.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 1st, '12, 23:19

Well, there are different reasons for different persons. As an example maybe an explanatory quote from Beranger, emphasis added by me:
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: By creating this small repository and by using Mageia Linux I do not imply that this distribution is better than others, nor do I offer any guarantees with regards to this repository. This is only a pragmatic decision. Mageia Linux has a good deal of very professional developers and packagers, however a number of them are as narrow-minded as any teenager Linux fanboy, eagerly using terms such as “trolling” and “flamewar”. I am using the result of their work, but from a human standpoint there is no such thing as a mentally-sane Linux developer (not that FreeBSD developers are any better).

Please make up your own opinion about that. I can partly comprehend, but he's also not the most insightful and was mostly complaining over the same issues again and again, which is not very constructive (and hence often referred to as "trolling") and there's no gain for anyone. See the mailing list archives for the discussions (june/july 2011)

For the blogdrake repo, IIRC they had that up really fast, and had an enormous selection of packages, and during that time there were just not enough packagers available to import more than the packages needed to bootstrap Mageia and allow a working migration path from Mandriva 2010.2 -> Mageia 1. But nowadays they are working hard together with some of our packagers to get all those imported into Mageia, and that is really appreciated.

For the greek repo, Dimitrios (aka dglent) offered his help and his packages really early, but just got into our mentoring program recently, and is slowly importing his packages now into Mageia.

On top of my head, i don't really know about the others who they belong to and what their situation is.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zugunder » Mar 2nd, '12, 00:43

doktor5000 wrote:On top of my head, i don't really know about the others who they belong to and what their situation is.

The Chech guy (Peťoš Šafařík), running his own repo, describes himself as a co-author of several books on (Mandriva) Linux, packager and Mageia developer, so you guys must know him. He says he is an astrophysisist, working as Unix system administrator.
The maintainer of the Russian repository (Alexander Afanasin) is a college student and it seems he does it for self-education and fun.
As for the Polish repository, there is no information about its maintainers on the website. However, the guy who filed the bug #3729 (Kamil Rytarowski) might know them as the package he requested (task-codecs) is available in that repo.
So, as you see, they are totally different people... having their reasons for doing what they are doing.

TO WOBO (mostly):
As I see it, there always will be people, preferring to not join ANY organization, due to laziness, desire for fame or personal respect, probably not money though... I agree that in the long run an organization always beats an individual, but these people will always exist - regardless of your attitude to them. I personally do not feel bad about using someone's else packages (if the packager agrees of course), and if it doesn't work - it is my fault and I am responsible for that. And as for those whining youngsters - they have been warned and if someone's system gets broken after using a 3rd party package - it is not such a tragedy... more a lesson, unpleasant, but rather harmless I'd say. Nobody's died. I am not calling Mageia to support or advertise the 3rd party repos (that are unwilling to collaborate themselves), but there might be a list of them somewhere in FAQ for the people who might be interested. A small list with a big warning :mrgreen: And of course, no complains are accepted.
My question is if there is any general consensus on this matter in Mageia community?
Last edited by zugunder on Mar 2nd, '12, 01:51, edited 5 times in total.
zugunder

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 2nd, '12, 01:10

zugunder wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:On top of my head, i don't really know about the others who they belong to and what their situation is.

The Chech guy (Peťoš Šafařík), running his own repo, describes himself as a co-author of several books on (Mandriva) Linux, packager and Mageia developer, so you guys must know him.

Well, only because someone calls himself something, doesn't mean that is really the case.
But i recall his name from a few mailing list replies, he maintains a few packages, but he's not around that much, especially not in IRC.

I'll try to ask ryoshu (Kamil Rytarowski, he's a Mageia packager and really active :) ) about the state of the polish repo.
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Mar 2nd, '12, 12:03

zugunder wrote:The Chech guy (Peťoš Šafařík), running his own repo, describes himself as a co-author of several books on (Mandriva) Linux, packager and Mageia developer, so you guys must know him.
Apart from some mails in the mailing lists I haven't seen anything by him. That does not mean anything, he may be well known in his language area. Same with me, I have done a lot myself in German but only few know me outside of the German language area.

As for people who run their own I already wrote that I do not have any bad feelings, much less an attitude of any kind. Getting into a communication with them is a way to find out if and how this situation could be improved.

About the general consensus about 3rd-party repos for Mageia: I think there is none, as with all repos for all distributions all over the world. The source is free to be used by everybody.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby zugunder » Mar 2nd, '12, 19:16

wobo
Thanks, now it is clear to me.
zugunder

Mirror CodeLinSoft for Mageia

Postby specialworld83 » May 25th, '12, 20:05

New reposity for mageia. Support 64 bit version.

Code: Select all
su

passwd

urpmi.addmedia --update Codelinsoft http://www.codelinsoft.it/mirror/

We expect many, introduced new packages:

banshee 2.4.0
firefox 12
rosadesktop
kdenlive
and others.

~message merged by moderator
specialworld83

Re: [SOLVED] Unofficial Mageia1 repositories.

Postby zugunder » May 26th, '12, 20:00

Just FYI guys, the maintainer of the unofficial repo #4 from the list said he was going to close it down and concentrate on a new one for Mageia 2.
So if you need something from there, download it now:
http://mageia1.ru/
zugunder

Re: Mirror CodeLinSoft for Mageia

Postby doktor5000 » May 27th, '12, 22:52

Mind to join the packaging team and get some of your packages directly integrated with the distro? https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager ;)

----
doktor5000

Postby specialworld83 » May 28th, '12, 15:25

specialworld83 wrote:New reposity for mageia. Support 64 bit version.

Code: Select all
su

passwd

urpmi.addmedia --update Codelinsoft http://www.codelinsoft.it/mirror/

We expect many, introduced new packages:

banshee 2.4.0
firefox 12
rosadesktop
kdenlive
and others.

Mirror merged for mageia 2 official release.
specialworld83

Postby wobo » May 28th, '12, 17:55

specialworld83 wrote:Mirror merged for mageia 2 official release.

Merged where? Does it mean you are going to port your packages to the Mageia repositories?
wobo
---
wobo

Postby zugunder » May 28th, '12, 19:28

doktor5000 wrote:Mind to join the packaging team and get some of your packages directly integrated with the distro? https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager ;)

I asked him about it a while ago (I am not an expert myself), but for some reasons he prefers to stay aside, maybe with a couple of colleagues, but definitely not as a part of Mageia team. My (humble) guess that since this guy is quite young (a student I think) he has some ambitions - that's why he wants to have HIS OWN project.
But if you'd like, I can contact him once again.
Thank you.
zugunder

Postby doktor5000 » May 28th, '12, 20:43

Well, normally 3rd party repositories are discouraged, as we'd like to have the same set of quality for all Mageia packages,
so it would be nice if you get get in contact with him and ask him to post his opinion about this here or forward it, as he didn't reply to my proposal.
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 9th, '13, 21:11

There's also a set of gnome shell extensions available at http://rpm.staticthings.com/

• gnome-shell-extension-alternate-tab-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-apps-menu-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-auto-move-windows-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-common-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-dock-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-drive-menu-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-native-window-placement-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-places-menu-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-remove-accessibility-icon-20111008-3.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-systemMonitor-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-user-theme-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-windowsNavigator-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-workspace-indicator-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm
  • gnome-shell-extension-xrandr-indicator-3.4.0-1.noarch.rpm

Posted via mageia-discuss mailing list: https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia ... 09039.html
----
doktor5000

Postby dglent » Feb 26th, '13, 12:35

I made a script (python 3) to search a package in unofficial repositories

After launch it, you can add / delete any repo you like to configure, and if there is a repo configured, you can launch it with the name of a rpm as an argument.
the script:
http://glenbox.free.fr/mga3prepo/0.5/mga3prepo.py

rpm:
http://www.mageia-gr.org/rpm/2/noarch/m ... noarch.rpm
dglent

Postby dglent » May 10th, '13, 16:34

zugunder wrote:
3. Poland.
Serious guys... have separate stable and testing 32- and 64-bit repositories - great respect for that. As far as I could see, no package description and everything is in Polish. Also their own "The Magic Remix" distribution is available.

This repo is down now
Anyone know something about or who do i contact for more info ?

The script is improved now, and the code is in git repository:
https://github.com/dglent/mga3prepo
dglent

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '13, 17:48

dglent wrote:
zugunder wrote:3. Poland.

This repo is down now
Anyone know something about or who do i contact for more info ?

Maybe ask in the forums there?
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... .org.pl%2F
----
doktor5000

Postby dglent » May 11th, '13, 06:51

Thanks, i looked in the forum to find some infos, but i think that i found the right person:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ma ... repository
dglent

Next

Return to The magician suggests...