KDE Plasma 5 lock screen background settings not working

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

KDE Plasma 5 lock screen background settings not working

Postby MagicD3VIL » Dec 19th, '20, 22:49

Greetings magicians,
so today I stumbled on a long headache with Plasma 5, namely the lock screen. As you might know, you can change the background of your lock screen via "System Settings --> Desktop Behavior --> Screen Locking" but in my case, those settings didn't work. Google didn't seem that anyone had the same issue (or because of the same reasons) so the Googling didn't really help. Since I found a solution to my case, I want to share it with you guys.

I am using "Starcraft" as my Workspace Theme and no matter what I did set in the Screen Locking settings, it just wouldn't work and the background would keep the same blue color from the theme. After giving up on searching if someone had the same problem I looked into the files of the theme directly, which are were located (in my case) here:
Code: Select all
~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.starcraft/contents/lockscreen/

After using the KFind to look for the word "background" in the files, I got 3 results and one of the files was called "LockScreenUI.qml". After looking into it I found this chunk of code that seemed promising
Rectangle {
    id: sceneColorBackground
    color: "#00101d"
    anchors.fill: parent
}
which, as you might have already assumed, changes the color of the parent (background) to the theme's iconic dark blue color (#00101d).

The solution: Marking this chunk of code as a comment no longer forces the background to use the dark blue color and the Screen Locking settings are not overwritten anymore. So the chunk now looks like this:
/*
Rectangle {
    id: sceneColorBackground
    color: "#00101d"
    anchors.fill: parent
}
*/

I have no idea if "Starcraft" is the only theme that does this or it's a common practice by the theme makers to make the lock screen look unified with the rest of the Workspace. Anyway, I hope this post might help someone if the future or at least it made an interesting read. Thanks for reading.
MagicD3VIL

Return to The magician suggests...