[WORKAROUND] Mageia 6: Oxygen-GTK limited to Adwaita Icons

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[WORKAROUND] Mageia 6: Oxygen-GTK limited to Adwaita Icons

Postby artificeprime » Aug 12th, '17, 23:15

Okay, for starters, a personal confession: I think Plasma 5's default Breeze theme is gawdawful, so within minutes after logging into Mageia 6 for the first time I wanted to go straight back to cheery old Oxygen. For KDE apps inside Plasma 5 itself, that was no problem, but getting my various GTK2 tools to look right proved a bit more of an uphill battle. Despite having the oxygen-gtk package installed and the GUI and menus looking correct for the most part, the icons refused to switch from anything but Adwaita — regardless of what I selected on the Widget Style of GNOME/GTK Applications panel in System Settings.

It took some time, but by pure fluke, I found a completely bizarro workaround, so here it is:

1. Make sure you've installed oxygen-gtk-1.4.6-3.mga6
  2. As root navigate to /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/
  3. Move or rename the icons4 file somewhere else or to something else (I renamed mine to icons4.broken) — I suppose you could even delete it outright...
  4. Create a new, emtpy (touch will do) icons4 file
That's it. You're done. Now you can set whatever icons you like for your GTK2 Oxygen theme in System Settings. I have no idea why this works, but I'm guessing all that code in the original icons4 file overrides setting the theme correctly.

Credit goes to Renan for discovering this back in 2013 (while, ironically in his case, trying to prevent Oxygen from locking itself as the default icon style). Here's his original Unix StackExchange thread.
CPU: P4 3.2GHz (Northwood); Mobo: Intel D865PERL; RAM: 3GiB DDR400; VPU: ATI Radeon HD4650 (1GiB); Display: Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD; Sound: integrated ICH5 AC'97; OS: Mageia 5 (i586)
artificeprime

Re: [WORKAROUND] Mageia 6: Oxygen-GTK limited to Adwaita Ico

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 13th, '17, 03:43

Thanks for sharing :)
You may want to report that so that either it can be fixed for oxygen-gtk or for adwaita itself, if that's possible.
Then please report that as a bug, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
For completeness's sake and also to allow others to follow up on that bug report, please also post the link to it here in the thread, thanks.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [WORKAROUND] Mageia 6: Oxygen-GTK limited to Adwaita Ico

Postby Gelsenbury » Jan 16th, '18, 01:31

Is there an Oxygen style for GTK 3 too? I have the same misgivings about Breeze, but the latest versions of Firefox and LibreOffice seem to use GTK 3, and the Oxygen style for GTK 2 makes no difference.
Gelsenbury

Return to The magician suggests...