[SOLUTION] pipelight error class 29 / MCC showing errors

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLUTION] pipelight error class 29 / MCC showing errors

Postby artee » Apr 11th, '16, 19:15

Upon installing pipelight (wine wrapper for Silverlight, necessary for DRM-protected streaming content), I ran into a nasty problem, for which the solution was hard to find.

I followed the regular instructions to install pipelight on Mageia 5: http://pipelight.net/cms/install/installation-mageia.html (it's for Mageia 4, so I just had to substitute the 4 with a 5 in the links on that page), some more Mageia info here: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11078.
After enabling the plugins as per the pipelight installation page, I found that the page I wanted to access which requires MS Silverlight just kept telling me "there is some kind of problem" over and over. I restarted the web browser from the command line, so I got to see the errors/debug info.

The error in question was this one:
Code: Select all
err:ntdll:NtQueryInformationToken Unhandled Token Information class 29!

I tried all kinds of things, since there are 3 different versions of Silverlight (4, 5.0 and 5.1) which can also be configured with graphics acceleration or not (in the config files such as /usr/share/pipelight/configs/pipelight-silverlight5.1), the mozilla plugins can be created or removed, one may have to remove/move the pluginreg.dat file of firefox, etc.
Aside that, I wasn't 100% sure there were no other things interfering, like other plugins or settings (user agent could be the issue, it wasn't in this case; adblockers, flashblockers, etc) so I tried to switch off as much as I could.

Nothing really helped until after quite a bit of searching, I found this page: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=185199 where the solution included the removal of some older config files in the user account (I built this machine new, but used an older /home with the user data on it):
rm -rf ~/.wine-pipelight

To avoid burning bridges, I did this:
mv ~/.wine-pipelight ~/.wine-pipelight.old
mv ~/.wine-pipelight64 ~/.wine-pipelight64.old

and then, suddenly things worked.

After that I did mess about with enabling some plugins that I switched off before, but that was basically the blocking point.
I'm posting here so that others may benefit, as well as making sure I will find the solution again should I need it.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Apr 16th, '16, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted thread title
artee

Re: [solved] pipelight error class 29

Postby artee » Apr 16th, '16, 16:58

Just a quick update, since I ran into weird messages related to pipelight when starting mcc from the command line:

# mcc
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] attached to process.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] checking environment variable PIPELIGHT_X64-FLASH_CONFIG.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] searching for config file pipelight-x64-flash.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/root/.config/pipelight-x64-flash'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/etc/pipelight-x64-flash'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] trying to load config file from '/usr/share/pipelight/configs/pipelight-x64-flash'.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:unknown] sandbox not found or not installed!
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] using wine prefix directory /root/.wine-pipelight64.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] checking plugin installation - this might take some time.
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] -------------------------------------------------------
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] WARNING! YOU ARE RUNNING THIS PIPELIGHT PLUGIN AS ROOT!
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] THIS IS USUALLY NOT A GOOD IDEA! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
[PIPELIGHT:LIN:x64-flash] -------------------------------------------------------

Well, I found that mcc probably loads plugins, which included the system-wide available plugins of pipelight.

See also here:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11078

Doing the following as root:
pipelight-plugin --disable-all

and then as user:
pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight5.1 x64-flash

fixed the scary warnings. not sure if running mcc with pipelight would actually have given MS Silverlight root rights, but anyone can guess that that would be quite catastrophic.. :-)
artee

Re: [SOLUTION] pipelight error class 29 / MCC showing errors

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 16th, '16, 18:04

FWIW, I've moved this into our tips&tricks section and slightly adjusted the subject, in any case thanks for sharing :D
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to The magician suggests...