lm-sensors with 570 chipset and Ryzen

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

lm-sensors with 570 chipset and Ryzen

Postby jiml8 » May 8th, '21, 18:40

I had a catastrophic hardware failure in my workstation. Well, I had not done a major upgrade in 8 years and I had been starting to think about doing one, so it looks like it was time.

I now have an ASUS X570-Plus mobo and a Ryzen7 5800X processor, with 64GB of RAM (not fast RAM, but it will be fine). I put a Noctua NH-D15 heatsink on it, and my wallet is now a lot lighter, but the system is performing much better (formerly was an FX-8370 with 32 GB on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX).

My challenge then was to get sensors working so that I could monitor temperatures and voltages. Turned out to be simple enough, though I did have to spend some time searching for the solution.

The sensors-detect command showed me that the required drivers are the k10temp and nct6775. It turns out I had the k10temp blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat.conf file. I don't know whether I did that long ago in an earlier iteration of this workstation, or whether it comes that way with Mageia. Regardless, remove this blacklist entry if it is there.

Even with those drivers installed, I wasn't getting much data. So some searching revealed that a boot command line option was required. Add this option to your kernel boot line:
Code: Select all
acpi_enforce_resources=lax

I still use grub 1 and MBR boot so I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you are more modern and use grub 2 and UEFI you have to add the option to a different file somewhere.

Apparently, the default setting for this flag is "strict" which prevents some drivers (legacy drivers?) from accessing the sensors. I don't know what the logic for this is, and I don't know if that means that sooner or later new drivers will appear. But, to get it working now, this is how you do it.

This, I believe, will work for any mobo that uses the 570 chipset, not just Asus. I don't know if all Ryzens need it; I doubt it. But the 5800X is pretty new and perhaps the linux kernel has not yet caught up.
jiml8

Re: lm-sensors with 570 chipset and Ryzen

Postby doktor5000 » May 8th, '21, 19:49

Thanks for sharing :D
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: lm-sensors with 570 chipset and Ryzen

Postby jiml8 » May 8th, '21, 20:19

doktor5000 wrote:Thanks for sharing :D

LOL. Yeah, my system is now a beast. For now anyway.

Virtual machine performance is very greatly improved; I am quite surprised by that. Seems the AMD-V processor virtualization capability is much improved on this Ryzen over previous generations. In fact, by default it was disabled, and vmware workstation refused to start, informing me that the processor was AMD-V capable but it was disabled. Once I enabled it, things ran very well.

By itself, that justifies the upgrade. Of course, I was forced into it, but...
jiml8

Return to The magician suggests...