Smaller ISOs?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Smaller ISOs?

Postby d3drocks » Apr 15th, '11, 05:29

hello,
I've been interested in Mageia for a long time now. I find the ISOs so far to be incredibly large. with my internet plan, I only get 60 GB a month (believe it or not, its the best plan around, considering price and bandwith in these parts), so downloading the beta release really puts a dent in it. will there be a future release with a smaller image? I honestly only want the standard KDE desktop and essentials. I can slowly install what i need as i go. will the images get smaller in future?
d3drocks

Re: Smaller ISOs?

Postby Ken-Bergen » Apr 15th, '11, 05:44

d3drocks wrote:hello,
I've been interested in Mageia for a long time now. I find the ISOs so far to be incredibly large. with my internet plan, I only get 60 GB a month (believe it or not, its the best plan around, considering price and bandwith in these parts), so downloading the beta release really puts a dent in it. will there be a future release with a smaller image? I honestly only want the standard KDE desktop and essentials. I can slowly install what i need as i go. will the images get smaller in future?
The live images are in the works, only 700MB +/_ but the full installer will I think be full DVD size.
There is of course the Dual Arch which is CD size but only has LXDE and can be built up to what you want.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby dave » Apr 15th, '11, 08:10

Would be a good thing, after the installation from a live cd, it opens a window listing the beauty of mageia and opening the possibility of "upgrading the DVD version" by installing the that isn't in the cd.
dave

Postby ahmad » Apr 17th, '11, 04:59

dave wrote:Would be a good thing, after the installation from a live cd, it opens a window listing the beauty of mageia and opening the possibility of "upgrading the DVD version" by installing the that isn't in the cd.

Why would you want it to "upgrade the DVD version"? just add the online sources (from the Mageia control centre -> s/w management -> configure media sources), then install the packages you want.
ahmad

Postby dave » Apr 18th, '11, 08:02

ahmad wrote:
dave wrote:Would be a good thing, after the installation from a live cd, it opens a window listing the beauty of mageia and opening the possibility of "upgrading the DVD version" by installing the that isn't in the cd.

Why would you want it to "upgrade the DVD version"? just add the online sources (from the Mageia control centre -> s/w management -> configure media sources), then install the packages you want.

simply because I have not thought of that possibility XD And why for someone without experience could be so much easier.
dave

Postby wobo » Apr 18th, '11, 12:57

I experienced users at exhibitions, picking up a live cd as giveaway and asking if this cd contains the whole distribution. We should be aware that there will be people using a live cd as first time Linux experience, not knowing the full extent of Mageia's offer nor how they could get their paws on that treasure of software.

An icon on the desktop saying "More Mageia!" (pun intended) could lead straight to the media configurator and add the full set. Experienced users don't need to use this icon (but they could use it as a convenient way of adding the media set).
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby ahmad » Apr 18th, '11, 21:03

IIRC, on first boot of a live installation the online repos are added automatically if there's an active internet connection.

But indeed an icon on the desktop to add the online repos looks like a good idea (a bug report would help track this enhancement). Only problem is, if the online repos were already added, and the user clicks that icon and adds a second/redundant set... that's not good as it may confuse urpmi.

FWIW, the Live ISO's for both GNOME and KDE try to have as many useful apps/packages installed by default, if so you see some essential package missing file a bug report (but also keep in mind the size constraints).
ahmad

Return to General discussions about Mageia