Changes at openSUSE and how Mageia can benefit

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Changes at openSUSE and how Mageia can benefit

Postby ChuangTzu » May 10th, '15, 05:18

Ok, as some of you know I was a openSUSE user for some time, and still like to be a fly on the wall in their forums so to speak. They are going through a major transition over the next one or two releases, as a result of SUSE/openSUSE being cut free from the other companies that "control" them. They have been kicked around so much the last few years it is hard to keep up, but Attachmate recently sold them as well to Micro Focus.

Basically, SUSE/openSUSE are going to be more tightly integrated and are going to share more of the base/core system. openSUSE is going to model their new releases after a Debian type approach with 3 year support using an already outdated core SUSE, than patching/backporting some newer programs onto the old/stable core. They will also offer a "bleeding edge" tumbleweed edition that is a rolling release, and includes the problems of a rolling release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH99TSrfvq0

Their userbase is quite upset and split at the moment...Not many used or are interested in tumbleweed and they do not like the idea of having their stable release be several years old when it is a "new release".

I think Mageia could step in as a logical switch given its releases are neither old nor bleeding edge, and somewhere comfortably in the middle, which is what openSUSE is leaving/neglecting with all future releases.

Seems that as openSUSE abandons the traditional desktop user to push into the enterprise market more, in the same manner as CentOS and Debian are, then Mageia can step in and claim a nice share of the desktop market.

Thoughts anyone????
ChuangTzu

Re: Changes at openSUSE and how Mageia can benefit

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '15, 11:35

Define "step in". What do you suggest Mageia should do?

Shall we post an announcement in their forums and mailing lists that says "Come over to Mageia, we have cookies" ?
If their userbase wants to use something else, they can do that easily. But this sounds more like a hostile takeover ...

You might want to refer to https://www.mageia.org/about/code-of-conduct/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ChuangTzu » May 10th, '15, 18:30

Acquiring a firm despite the disapproval of, or open resistance from, its board of directors. The acquirer ('raider') usually takes the takeover offer direct to the target firm's stockholders (shareholders) or seeks their approval to remove the obstructing board members.
http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... eover.html

I think you may have misunderstood the intention of my post. Also, not sure why you referenced the code of conduct, perhaps you could point me to the specific area in which the original post was in violation? General Discussions about Mageia does seem an appropriate place to discuss areas where Mageia can focus, remain strong, become a leader etc....

Also, I was not proposing anything, merely starting a conversation about the major changes affecting another distro. that is also .rpm based and KDE centered/focused, and how Mageia could benefit from those changes. Again, not sure where that violates code of conduct, or is in any way hostile.

The fact is in the openSUSE forums, a user posted a question/poll to the community: "If openSUSE did not exist or no longer existed what Distro would you use?" Alot of people, surprising to the moderators and developers, stated that Mageia would be their other option. :) In other words, the changes at openSUSE and them seemingly abandoning the users who want a stable but middle of the spectrum distro. could be very beneficial for Mageia. Not suggesting poaching users or anything of the sort... Merely, a philosophical direction for this distro...and perhaps an area that it/we can continue to focus..."Stable and current, somewhere between old/stale and bleeding edge."

Hope that clarifies the intention of the first post. No harm was intended, nor any flame wars. 8-)
ChuangTzu

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '15, 21:04

I've never wrote that you violated something, it was merely a slight hint. Think you misunderstood something there,
Maybe it's just a wording/understanding thing for a non-native speaker like me, but you still didn't answer what you mean by "step in" as this implies some action to me.
doktor5000 wrote:Define "step in". What do you suggest Mageia should do?

I just think we should not actively try to guide those users to Mageia, but that may be just me.
But in any case, thanks for the hint, I'll try to bring up this topic for the next council meeting to hear what the others think about this and what we can make of this.
If you want, you can also adress this directly to council for discussing, see https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi/info/council for informations on the mailing list.

Apart from that, we always welcome new users and contributors moreso.
For OpenSuSe users, it would be the most logical move, as not much other distros offer multiple supported desktop environment AND a control center similar to YaST.

FWIW, the forum poll you mentioned, is it this one? https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... ld-you-use
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ChuangTzu » May 11th, '15, 00:37

Hi Doktor,

Misunderstandings happen... ;)

By step in, I mainly meant, to help fill a void that may be created by their impending changes. One way is for Mageia to remain desktop end-user centric, with multiple DE's but an emphasis on a great KDE experience etc... I think this could also be a huge area of emphasis as more and more people become dismayed with Unity and Gnome as well...

Just thoughts for down the road, planning wise. :idea:

Yes, that is one of the polls, the comments are more interesting than the raw data... Quite a few people mentioned Mageia as their alternative, especially with its Mandriva roots. Some of them mentioned it as a "club of secret admirers [for Mageia]."

Also, in openSUSE, LXQT and RazorQt are not officially supported, you have to use the build service or "Tumbleweed". One can use RazorQt now or LXQT with 5.0 so another plus for Mageia. :)

Thanks for the prompt responses!!! You do not get that in some communities.
ChuangTzu

Postby doktor5000 » May 11th, '15, 16:44

FWIW, skimmed quickly over that thread/poll in their forum, and there are only 10 posts from this year, the last one before them was in May 2014.
Of the 10 posts, only 3 mentioned Mageia, including one post from you. Not what I'd call mass of their userbase.

Also watched the announcements on the change of the openSuSe release model and some related stuff from just a few days ago,
and nothing is set in stone yet, how often they will release and such. So I don't yet see the masses of users abandoning ship yet.

So we should probably just wait until the end of the year and see what happens, and watch for welcome posts here from openSuSe guys :)
----
doktor5000

Postby ChuangTzu » May 11th, '15, 20:00

;)

sounds like a plan.
ChuangTzu

Postby gohlip » May 11th, '15, 21:04

Well, welcome to Mageia yourself, Chuang Tzu. ;)
欢迎.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Postby ChuangTzu » May 11th, '15, 21:26

谢谢

Thank You.
ChuangTzu

Postby lissacoffey » Jul 2nd, '16, 06:48

openSUSE is going to model their new releases after a Debian type approach, but i think that not many would like the idea of having their stable release be several years old when it is a "new release". and this sounds more like a hostile takeover ... yes, the changes at openSUSE and them seemingly abandoning the users who want a stable but middle of the spectrum distro could be very beneficial for Mageia . . . . . . . . .
lissacoffey

Return to General discussions about Mageia