Mageia 2 XFS default file system possible?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Mageia 2 XFS default file system possible?

Postby PietroTux88 » Aug 18th, '11, 12:02

Hi all users and moderators and administrators , i have idea if possible make mageia 2 with XFS file system default i believe be very stable and faster than btrfs.
Eat a piece of bread and after you're gone suddenly become a skeleton
PietroTux88

Re: Mageia 2 XFS default file system possible?

Postby PietroTux88 » Sep 3rd, '11, 23:58

xfs now is very stable
Eat a piece of bread and after you're gone suddenly become a skeleton
PietroTux88

Postby dave » Sep 4th, '11, 01:33

I hope when mageia 2 will born btrfs will be stable and the default choice
dave

Postby ruel24 » Sep 5th, '11, 17:27

I hope not. Both XFS and BTFS are slugs compared to other systems like ReiserFS and Ext3 and 4. I know they're chock full of features, but they trade them for a loss in speed. The choice is there, just use it.
ruel24

Postby dave » Sep 6th, '11, 18:01

Btrfs is the evolution of ext4. Mageia 2 will launch in April so I hope that btrfs will be stable and ready to be used. If by that date it will not stable will continue to use ext4.
dave

Postby scubajim » Sep 12th, '11, 13:57

I have to say that I'd prefer btrfs. I've found it very useful for the root filesystem as enabling compression saves a load of disk space. I'd imagine that the same would be true of /home but because the vast majority of my files (by size) are video I don't get any compression on them.

Performancewise I've found btrfs to be very good. I've also used ReiserFS a lot but it's not being so maintained or actively developed these days.

The ext family is rapidly becoming history.

I have to ask the person who said btrfs was slow about which kernel version they were using and what they were doing.
scubajim

Postby ghmitch » Sep 23rd, '11, 06:06

When the time comes, BtrFS is destined to replace ext4 as the Linux FS of choice according to the top Linux file system devs. In fact, ext4 was created as a bridge of sorts between the old ext3 and BtrFS. The primary hang up with BtrFS at this point is lack of a comprehensive fsck tool. That is supposedly being addressed now. Other problems with BtrFS include issues with legacy grub which is not being updated to support the complexity of BtrFS. Moving to grub2 with label support AND GPT support would be helpful, but moving to grub2 gets us into the old chicken/egg conundrum. If we move to grub2, we risk incompatibility with other distros on dual boot systems. Additionally complicating this whole process is the need for a workaround for older non-EFI boards, since grub boot loader is unable to install on ordinary GPT hard disks without the addition of a dedicated bootloader partition. So there are a whole lot of issues to be unraveled before we can move forward to the future. The problem is that many of us really *need* this new technology *now*. But the huge risk is instability if we move forward too fast. I am using Mageia right now INSTEAD of Mandriva for this very reason. Mageia is being very conservative on issue like this whereas Mandriva has always tended to push the envelope. I really *like* the advanced "features" of Mandriva, but I simply can't deal with the side effects. So I am very happy that Mageia is *wisely* waiting until some of these gotcha's get worked out before trying to push forward.

While there is a lot to like about XFS, it is a non-starter for me simply because it is not portable across system architectures. Unlike all other file systems you can not read an XFS file system from a 32 bit machine on a 64 bit machine or visa verse. They are incompatible. That doesn't work for me. Additionally, XFS is not native to Linux and there are some questions about its future maintenance and development. BtrFS, on the other hand, will continue to be supported and developed long into the future. While ext4 is based on ext3, BtrFS is based on ReiserFS. So a lot of the concepts behind BtrFS are not new but are proven concepts from the proven Reiser system. I *REALLY* do want to move on to BtrFS, but I am not willing to pay the price of getting on board before it is *ready*.
ghmitch

Return to General discussions about Mageia