Network management question

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Network management question

Postby novsky » Apr 4th, '15, 21:50

Hi guys.

Quick question. I've been running Mageia 4 Live KDE, exploring it, and i can see that the wifi icon is not stock. + establishing a network was different to my networkmanager experience. Then I've seen the network center in the MCC: http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/4/en/content/ ... enter.html
Is that a Mageia specific way of handling the internet connections? If yes, is it possible to get stock KDE systray icons for it, so it's not green?
Is Network center better than alternatives (networkmanager, nm-applet and nm plasmoid?).

Thanks and as a welcome, i'm learning to inkscape slowly, so here's a little picture i made as an homage to your distribution as my learning experience.

novsky

Re: Network management question

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 4th, '15, 22:00

novsky wrote:Is that a Mageia specific way of handling the internet connections? If yes, is it possible to get stock KDE systray icons for it, so it's not green?

Yes, it is Mageia-specific, it is the default and called net_applet. You'd have to exchange the icons yourself, they are located below /usr/share/libDrakX/pixmaps/
novsky wrote:Is Network center better than alternatives (networkmanager, nm-applet and nm plasmoid?).

Judging from long experience and quite a lot of frustrated users and bugs, it is definitely worse. There are also some longstanding bugs,
that usually happen when you switch between different wireless networks.

Apart from that, networkmanager's native nm-applet and the KDE plasmoid, plasma-applet-nm offer the same functionality, as they are simply two different frontends to the same backend.
Also using plasma-applet-nm here since over a year and I'd never go back. I'd always encourage users to switch to networkmanager, as it's upstream is actually alife.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby novsky » Apr 4th, '15, 22:04

doktor5000 wrote:Judging from long experience and quite a lot of frustrated users and bugs, it is definitely worse. There are also some longstanding bugs,
that usually happen when you switch between different wireless networks.

Apart from that, networkmanager's native nm-applet and the KDE plasmoid, plasma-applet-nm offer the same functionality, as they are simply two different frontends to the same backend.
Also using plasma-applet-nm here since over a year and I'd never go back. I'd always encourage users to switch to networkmanager, as it's upstream is actually alife.

Than why is it actually used as default? for the sake of uniformity, or...?
novsky

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 4th, '15, 22:49

Because it was always the default and because of the integration with the installer, hardware recognition and the integration with the Mageia control center.
It requires quite some efforts to port all those to networkmanager (or anything else for that matter).
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby novsky » Apr 5th, '15, 08:45

Thanks for your answers, Doktor5k :)
novsky

Return to General discussions about Mageia