Linux live for beginners

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Linux live for beginners

Postby Weatherlawyer » Feb 13th, '15, 23:58

I would like to be able to offer live CDs to members of writing groups I associate with in my home town. This is primary so I don't have any problems sharing my work as Microsoft Word. Documents written with a Linux OS inevitably prove difficult to open on their product.

The problem is that getting a download of Mageia 4 requires I fill a DVD completely with a ton of stuff that most writers will never use. I am in love with KDE because it has an app on the bottom bar that houses all your copied items. A tool that is invaluable to a budding author. Also I love the way KDE fits all its apps together. For example the PDF writing tool that permits easy clipping and OCR so you can turn quotes into text with very little hassle.

How can I obtain a live CD download with minimum stuff on it. I am not after a light version. The average beginner won't know how to find their modem without a lot of help and I love the way all the Linux distros I have ever tried just work out of the box with Firefox or what have you browser. So is there a cut down version out there I can get, please?
Weatherlawyer

Re: Linux live for beginners

Postby filip » Feb 14th, '15, 13:00

There are English only Live CDs available on our DL page. Other languages can be added in live session and you can logout and back in to use them but of course they're lost on reboot.
filip

Postby Weatherlawyer » Feb 14th, '15, 16:23

I can't believe I missed this:
LiveCD KDE
English only 700MB 32bit

That will fit on a CD (Not that I have any of course. Ahemmm...)

I was so taken aback by the 4GB version I was blinded. So WTH is the reason for such an extremely large one?
Desktop: GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE.
Are people so astute here that they have trouble making up their minds?
All for one and one for all?
Weatherlawyer

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 14th, '15, 19:09

Weatherlawyer wrote:I was so taken aback by the 4GB version I was blinded. So WTH is the reason for such an extremely large one?
Desktop: GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE.

Most people are not bandwith constrained, so the use the full DVD, as for one it allows for upgrades, which are not possible via the Live media,
and it contains all major desktop environment, so you can easily tailor the installation to the target computer in question, either a totally
minimalised install with no X. Or a full-blown install with all desktop environments and games and multimedia stuff on the DVD.

What's your problem with that?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Weatherlawyer » Feb 15th, '15, 02:36

Apart from the time it takes even with cable to download?
And that it fills a DVD?
Or that I don't think it is a good idea?

Nothing. Carry on.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Feb 15th, '15, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
Weatherlawyer

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 15th, '15, 19:36

Well, here it takes 15 minutes to get the DVD. And as I don't like wasting DVDs/CDs I'll just put it on some USB flash drive.

Totally unrelated, please next time do not use fullquotes, but only use the Reply function. Greatly improves clarity and reading flow ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia