[SOLVED] How to rebuild an src.rpm, using amoebax as example

Here you'll find a place for solutions and hints.

Please use one of the support subforums below for questions or if you have any issues and need support.

[SOLVED] How to rebuild an src.rpm, using amoebax as example

Postby jtwdyp » Jul 6th, '13, 19:54

amoebax is an addictive tetris like game. I found it in the repos of some of my other distro's and quickly got hooked on it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not much of a gamer. But when I'm board, I'd much rather fight a losing battle against the relentless progression of amoebax than to watch TV.

It's not a big deal that I can't find it in Mageia's repos. I mean I can always just reboot into a distro where I do have it. But that solution is less than Ideal if I've got files open.

I think I read something somewhere about Mageia being compatable with mandriva rpms?

I found a link to
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandriva/2011/x86_64/media/contrib/backports/amoebax-0.2.0-1.x86_64.html

Which contains a link to
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandriva/official/2011/SRPMS/amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm

The first link above also refers to
http://www.emma-soft.com/games/amoebax/

Which offers some kind of free download for "GNU/Linux (Autopackage)" which points at
http://www.emma-soft.com/games/amoebax/download/amoebax-0.2.0.x86.package

Is there a way I can use any of that to safely add amoebax to my Mageia3 system {Which was installed from the Mageia-3-x86_64-DVD.iso} ???

And if so is there a good tutorial on how?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 9th, '13, 22:54, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: adjusted thread title
--
JtWdyP
jtwdyp

Re: Loving Mageia But: missing favorite time waster amoebax

Postby Symbioxy » Jul 8th, '13, 13:04

Hi,

There is a very good tutorial on the wiki : https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packagers_RPM_tutorial
I am a beginner for building packages but I managed to build a few simple ones with this tutorial, following it step by step.
Symbioxy

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 8th, '13, 19:46

No need to start from scratch, should be sufficient to just install buildrequires and run a rebuild of the Mandriva src.rpm, after downloading it, do
Code: Select all
urpmi --buildrequires amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
urpmi rpm-build

and then. as normal user run the rebuild:
rpmbuild --rebuild amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jtwdyp » Jul 8th, '13, 19:56

Symbioxy wrote:Hi,

There is a very good tutorial on the wiki : https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packagers_RPM_tutorial
I am a beginner for building packages but I managed to build a few simple ones with this tutorial, following it step by step.

But I'm not sure it will help me safely get amoebax on Mageia 3...

Some of the links I quoted are broken. For example the source rpm:

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandriva/official/2011/SRPMS/amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm

Gets me an
Opera wrote:File not found

You tried to access the address ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandriva/of ... -1.src.rpm, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

550 Failed to open file.

Then theres that autopackage file which is neither an rpm nor a tarball {as far as I can see} And the downloaded files text
says :
# This is an autopackage (http://autopackage.org/)

But when I try to open http://autopackage.org to find out anything about it, what I get is:
opera wrote:Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.

You can do the following:
Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel.

There was another rpm link on the page at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandriva/2011/x86_64/media/contrib/backports/amoebax-0.2.0-1.x86_64.html
Which contains a link to:

The viewable text within the downloaded rpm {extracted via less & the clipboard} can be found at:
http://pastebin.com/nNwSSFnX

I'm no expert but I don't think it's a source rpm. But it is compiled for the right architecture for my machine. Still I'm not so sure it's safe to install pure mandriver rpms on Mageia

I suppose I could mount my Mageia partition from another of my installed linux and make a big tgz back-up of it's entire file structure, just before installing from the above rpm. Then if the results dammage my system, I'd at least have something to restore it from... But I'm NOT happy with the idea. AND if I go there I'm not sure if I'd be better off using:

rpm -i ~/Downloads/amoebax-0.2.~0.x86_64.rpm
??

Or {if I'm understanding the man output} should I use instead:

urpmi ~/Downloads/amoebax-0.2.~0.x86_64.rpm
??

(Of course, in either case, it would only be after making a backup of my Mageia installation that I would dare to try with an rpm that didn't come from an Mageia repository...)
--
JtWdyP
jtwdyp

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 8th, '13, 20:02

Please don't mangle rpms and autopackage together, and maybe even less in onee single post - makes it quite hard to follow.
Please have a look at my previous post, if you need the src.rpm you can also get it from here: http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=amoebax
and try the one from Fedora or Rosa.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jtwdyp » Jul 9th, '13, 15:34

doktor5000 wrote:Please don't mangle rpms and autopackage together, and maybe even less in onee single post - makes it quite hard to follow.

Sorry, to me it was just a list of possible options that I had asked if any of which were safe, and then discovered broken links... In the mean time I've found a wiki on autopackage and don't think I'd want to use it anyway so do please disregaurd any all previous mention of it, I won't likely mention it again.

doktor5000 wrote:Please have a look at my previous post,
I do wish I'd seen that earlier, I must have started to compose my reply to Symbioxy just before you posted it.
If I'm beginning to understand it, the "--buildrequires" option to urpmi means I don't even have to personally know what the dependencies are to rebuild a source rpm, as urpmi will take care of suggesting all of them?

doktor5000 wrote: if you need the src.rpm you can also get it from here: http://pkgs.org/search/?keyword=amoebax
and try the one from Fedora or Rosa.

So those are all src.rpm even if bone of the file names include the string "src" in them? And/or perhaps more to the point does it need to be an actual source rpm for the "urpmi --buildrequires..." method to work?

And how would you actually download the rpm listed by pkgs.org? When I tried to follow the Rosa link, for example, I found lots of info on the Rosa rpm, but the closest to an download link I found was this instruction:
http://pkgs.org/rosa-2012.1/rosa-contrib-release-x86_64/amoebax-0.2.0-1-rosa2012.1.x86_64.rpm.html wrote:Download amoebax

pkgs.org provides
amoebax-0.2.0-1-rosa2012.1.x86_64.rpm package
only from the official ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 mirrors.

I did a web search for Rosa mirrors and eventually found one from which I could get:
"amoebax-0.2.0-1-rosa2012.1.x86_64.rpm " But I don't think it's a "src.rpm"...

If it must be a source rpm for the "--buildrequires" method to work, does it matter much which fedora core the source rpm came from? I ask because in the meantime I did manage to find a link to an actual downloadable fedora src rpm "amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm" but fc15 is I think a bit dated by now...

On the other hand If Mandriver src rpms work as well as Fedora/Rosa ones, I also found an 2012 {buildtime} Mandriver src rpm "amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm" Which happens to match the filename from your previous example:

Which of the above rpm would you recommend I use for the:
urpmi --buildrequires amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
urpmi rpm-build

command sequence??
--
JtWdyP
jtwdyp

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '13, 19:43

Ok, one after another. Just wanted to make you aware i've already posted this - No hard feelings :D

For pkgs.org, it's just a search engine for packages of quite a number of distributions.
First it will show you only the binary packages, contents of those package and stuff like that,
but after you click on download button on e.g. http://pkgs.org/rosa-2012.1/rosa-contri ... 4.rpm.html
you get this:

http://pkgs.org/rosa-2012.1/rosa-contrib-release-x86_64/amoebax-0.2.0-1-rosa2012.1.x86_64.rpm/download/ wrote:
[snip]

Official mirror: mirror.rosalab.ru

Download packages from the official mirror:
binary package, source package

source package = src.rpm

For the question at the end, probably the Mandriva 2012.0 package is probably the exact same as the one used by ROSA,
as both distros use the same basis. For our example, it doesn't really matter, as you can adjust and change it to your liking.

I'll just show you how you would do it, and then explain:

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ wget http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2012.1/repository/SRPMS/contrib/release/amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
--2013-07-09 19:25:55--  http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2012.1/repository/SRPMS/contrib/release/amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
Auflösen des Hostnamen »mirror.rosalab.ru (mirror.rosalab.ru)«... 37.220.161.201, 37.220.165.199, 37.220.163.247
Verbindungsaufbau zu mirror.rosalab.ru (mirror.rosalab.ru)|37.220.161.201|:80... verbunden.
HTTP-Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 200 OK
Länge: 10589634 (10M) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
In »»amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm«« speichern.

100%[==============================================================================================================================>] 10.589.634   465KB/s   in 22s   

2013-07-09 19:26:18 (466 KB/s) - »»amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm«« gespeichert [10589634/10589634]

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ sudo urpmi --buildrequires amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
Um die Abhängigkeiten zu erfüllen, werden die folgenden Pakete installiert:
  Paket                          Version      Release       Arch   
(Medium »Core Release«)                                                                                                                                                 
  doxygen                        1.8.3        2.mga3        x86_64                                                                                                     
  lib64SDL_image-devel           1.2.12       2.mga3        x86_64                                                                                                     
  lib64SDL_image1.2_0            1.2.12       2.mga3        x86_64                                                                                                     
  lib64SDL_mixer-devel           1.2.12       4.mga3        x86_64 
  lib64mikmod-devel              3.2.0        4.mga3        x86_64 
19MB zusätzlicher Speicher werden benötigt
12MB an Paketen werden geholt
Fortfahren mit der Installation der 5 Pakete? (J/n)

ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/distrib/3/x86_64/media/core/release/lib64SDL_image-devel-1.2.12-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm
    ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/distrib/3/x86_64/media/core/release/lib64mikmod-devel-3.2.0-4.mga3.x86_64.rpm                                   
    ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/distrib/3/x86_64/media/core/release/lib64SDL_image1.2_0-1.2.12-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm                                 
    ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/distrib/3/x86_64/media/core/release/doxygen-1.8.3-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm                                             
    ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/Mageia/distrib/3/x86_64/media/core/release/lib64SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.12-4.mga3.x86_64.rpm                               
Warnung: amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, Schlüssel-ID c325b53b: NOKEY                                                                           
Folgendes Paket hat eine inkorrekte Signatur:
amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm: Falsche Signatur (NOT OK (no key): amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, Schlüssel-ID c325b53b: NOKEY)
Wollen Sie die Installation fortsetzen? (j/N) j
lib64SDL_image-devel-1.2.12-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm lib64mikmod-devel-3.2.0-4.mga3.x86_64.rpm lib64SDL_image1.2_0-1.2.12-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm lib64SDL_mixer-devel-1.2.12-4.mga3.x86_64.rpm doxygen-1.8.3-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm von /var/cache/urpmi/rpms wird installiert
Vorbereiten …                    #####################################################################################################################################
      1/5: lib64SDL_image1.2_0   #####################################################################################################################################
      2/5: lib64mikmod-devel     #####################################################################################################################################
      3/5: lib64SDL_mixer-devel  #####################################################################################################################################
      4/5: lib64SDL_image-devel  #####################################################################################################################################
      5/5: doxygen               #####################################################################################################################################

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ sudo urpmi rpm-build
Paket rpm-build-4.11.0.1-1.mga3.x86_64 ist installiert

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ rpmbuild --rebuild amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
Installiere amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm
Warnung: amoebax-0.2.0-1.src.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, Schlüssel-ID c325b53b: NOKEY
Ausführung(%prep): /bin/sh -e /home/doktor5000/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.x5zL0Z
+ umask 022
+ cd /home/doktor5000/rpm/BUILD

[snip]

Prüfe auf nicht gepackte Datei(en): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files /home/doktor5000/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-1.x86_64
Erstellt: /home/doktor5000/rpm/RPMS/x86_64/amoebax-0.2.0-1mga3.tainted.x86_64.rpm
Erstellt: /home/doktor5000/rpm/RPMS/x86_64/amoebax-debuginfo-0.2.0-1mga3.tainted.x86_64.rpm
Ausführung(%clean): /bin/sh -e /home/doktor5000/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.JxWvZK
+ umask 022
+ cd amoebax-0.2.0
+ /usr/bin/rm -rf /home/doktor5000/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-1.x86_64
+ exit 0
Ausführung(--clean): /bin/sh -e /home/doktor5000/rpm/tmp/rpm-tmp.j1ZE4h
+ umask 022
+ rm -rf amoebax-0.2.0
+ exit 0

Now for the explanations. BuildRequires are tags within the SPEC, which are facilities required to compile this package.
Looks like this (i've just installed the src.rpm as user, it will be installed into /home/username/rpmbuild by default)

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ grep -i buildrequires rpm/SPECS/amoebax.spec
BuildRequires:  SDL_mixer-devel
BuildRequires:  SDL_image-devel
BuildRequires:  zlib-devel
BuildRequires:  png-devel
BuildRequires:  pkgconfig(vorbis)
BuildRequires:  doxygen

This is what urpmi uses to install the necessary packages, you can also easily query this information,
asking which packages satisfies the pkgconfig(vorbis) Require (development headers for ogg/vorbis):

[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ urpmq --whatprovides 'pkgconfig(vorbis)'
lib64vorbis-devel

Ok so far, so good. In yourtrain of thought you may just need the separate the process of installing the buildrequires,
from the process of rebuilding the src.rpm - those are followed one by the other, but they don't have anything to do with each other.
You could also simply hunt down each required package for the rebuild manually by other means,
install it and then run the rebuild. It's just that --buildrequires function of urpmi is there to do this dumb work ;)

For
urpmi rpm-build
that just installs the rpmbuild executable, which is used to build packages.
It's a requirement for the rebuild, not more not less. rpmbuild --rebuild is the command which actually runs the rebuild.
----
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jul 9th, '13, 20:21

Thank you doktor5000, followed your clear tutorial with great fun.
And, as a result, have now a brand-new game installed. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '13, 21:00

You're welcome :)

@jtwdyp: Do you have a problem with me abusing this thread as an explanation/howto and move it over to the tips&tricks section?
----
doktor5000

Postby jtwdyp » Jul 9th, '13, 21:28

doktor5000 wrote:Ok, one after another. Just wanted to make you aware i've already posted this - No hard feelings :D

You are so very kind. At most I deserved just the url to the previous posting. But you gave so much more that All I can say is:

THANKS!

doktor5000 wrote:For pkgs.org, it's just a search engine for packages of quite a number of distributions.
First it will show you only the binary packages, contents of those package and stuff like that,
but after you click on download button on e.g. http://pkgs.org/rosa-2012.1/rosa-contri ... 4.rpm.html

Now I feel sheepishly idiotic... "Download button, What downloa... OH! I forgot to turn on javascript for pkgs.org in my opera site prefs... DuH!

On the other hand, perhaps it was a lucky oversight for otherwise you wouldn't have reproduced such a
isadora wrote:clear tutorial
that isadora is already enjoying a new game.

Since I already had the Mandriva, & fc15 src.rpms downloaded I experimented with them...

The fc15 one appeared to have a slightly higher version so I started there. When I got to the:
rpmbuild --rebuild amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm
step however the process exited with
RPM build errors:
    amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a82ba4b7: NOKEY
    user mockbuild does not exist - using root
    group mockbuild does not exist - using root
    File not found: /home/jtwdyp/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.x86_64/usr/share/man/man6/amoebax.6.gz
And didn't write an rebuilt rpm... I think it must have choked on the fact that Mageia created instead an:
/home/jtwdyp/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.x86_64/usr/share/man/man6/amoebax.6.xz

And I have no idea how I could have fixed that... So instead I emptied the ~/rpm tree, did an:
urpme amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm
and started over with the Mandriva rpm...

This one worked. I now have an rpm that rpmlint finds only "0 errors & 3 warnings" which warnings would only matter if I wanted to upload the rpm somewhere...

I'm still not sure if I want to use "rpm -i $rpmPathname" or "urpmi $rpmPathname" to actually install it. But I doubt it matters much. Wait..., I just peeked inside with mc and the INSTALL script says to use:
rpm --nosignature -ivh $rpmPathname
And I've now got a working copy...

Much THANKS to all of you...
--
JtWdyP
jtwdyp

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '13, 22:53

jtwdyp wrote:The fc15 one appeared to have a slightly higher version so I started there. When I got to the:
rpmbuild --rebuild amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm
step however the process exited with
RPM build errors:
    amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.src.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a82ba4b7: NOKEY
    File not found: /home/jtwdyp/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.x86_64/usr/share/man/man6/amoebax.6.gz
And didn't write an rebuilt rpm... I think it must have choked on the fact that Mageia created instead an:
/home/jtwdyp/rpm/BUILDROOT/amoebax-0.2.0-7.fc15.x86_64/usr/share/man/man6/amoebax.6.xz

And I have no idea how I could have fixed that...

Well, this is a tricky bit - By default mageia uses .xz compression for manpages (and other stuff)
so if a package includes manpages, they will be automatically be compressed with that.
And if a packages uses complete filenames, and not using wildcards, you will end up with such an error,
as the complete path/filename are hardcoded.

Such problems can only be fixed by installing the src.rpm with rpm -ihv as normal user,
it will be extracted into /home/username/rpmbuild as mentioned previously briefly,
and you would need to edit the .SPEC file to adjust for the new filename.
But rather easy change ...

The ROSA packages uses
%{_mandir}/man6/%{name}.6.*
and your fedora package probably uses
%{_mandir}/man6/%{name}.6.gz
for the manpage.
Exchange the latter with the former, rpmbuild -ba amoebax.spec and you're done.

FWIW, if you want to know to what those % macros expand, use rpm --eval on the macro (short form is rpm -E, that's a capital e, not to be confused with -e :twisted: )
[doktor5000@Mageia3 ~]$ rpm -E %{_mandir}
/usr/share/man

jtwdyp wrote:I'm still not sure if I want to use "rpm -i $rpmPathname" or "urpmi $rpmPathname" to actually install it. But I doubt it matters much.

That's quite an easy question, as the latter uses the former. With the addition that urpmi does dependency resolution,
and downloads other required packages automatically, rpm doesn't do this and just tells you what else is missing,
you've got to query and install all Requires manually.

So best always use urpmi, be it on local rpm files or for package management.

FWIW, another dirty trick, related to buildrequires installation - partly inherited from rpm (rpm also has downloaders for all protocols builtin)
You can use urpmi --buildrequires on some remote package, and it will fetch you all the buildrequires, but leave the src.rpm alone - so you can save yourself the download.
If you only want to rebuild a src.rpm, that's quite useless, but really useful if you want to compile something that comes as a tarball.
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '13, 23:00

jtwdyp wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:Ok, one after another. Just wanted to make you aware i've already posted this - No hard feelings :D

You are so very kind. At most I deserved just the url to the previous posting. But you gave so much more that All I can say is:

THANKS!

No problem, you're welcome.
If somebody asks properly, and is really interested then i've got no problems with providing extensive
instructions/explanations, but that is tightly linked to the attitude encountered ;)

Apart from that i've moved the thread and adjusted the subject.
----
doktor5000

Return to The magician suggests...