fglrx works again!

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

fglrx works again!

Postby segfault » Apr 5th, '11, 14:47

Dear boys and girls,

Praise the Lord! (praise those coders too)
fglrx works again, finally!
I just updated yesterday and I installed fglrx via MCC and it works well.
Edit: I forgot to mention, I have all repositories enabled, including testing and backports.
Slightly off-topic but GO HABS!
segfault

Re: fglrx works again!

Postby tallship » Apr 6th, '11, 11:56

Or...

dudes and dudesses | buoys and gulls | guys and gals ;)
Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.
tallship

Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern California USA

Postby saptech » Apr 7th, '11, 09:52

segfault wrote:Dear boys and girls,

Praise the Lord! (praise those coders too)
fglrx works again, finally!
I just updated yesterday and I installed fglrx via MCC and it works well.
Edit: I forgot to mention, I have all repositories enabled, including testing and backports.

What type of card are you using? I just purchased an older AMD 64 system with an ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200 chipset. Do you know if fglrx will work with it? I will be installing the beta either Friday or Saturday.

Thnx.
Each One Teach One
--------------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
HP Compaq Elite 8300 | Intel Core i5 | 8gb | 120gb SSD
--------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb HDD
saptech

Postby segfault » Apr 7th, '11, 13:52

hey saptech,

I've got a Radeon HD 4350. I have no idea if fglrx works with your card. I've been a long time nVidia user (everything just works in nVidia land) and I never realized how lucky I was. A few months ago I decided to go with ATI for graphics when I built my new computer. So I don't have much experience with ATI cards. What I would do If I were you. I would try fglrx and if it doesn't work I would switch back to the open source driver and file a bug. It is relatively easy to switch to the radeon driver in case this thing goes South. Login as root in console mode (not that you have an option here, X won't start anyway :) ) and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vim (replace "fglrx" with "radeon"). Restart and X should start again.
Slightly off-topic but GO HABS!
segfault

Postby saptech » Apr 8th, '11, 11:13

segfault, from what I've read, my ati card is legacy and fglrx wont work with it.

Thnx for the info and good luck!
Each One Teach One
--------------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
HP Compaq Elite 8300 | Intel Core i5 | 8gb | 120gb SSD
--------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb HDD
saptech

Postby ahmad » Apr 17th, '11, 02:34

segfault wrote:hey saptech,

I've got a Radeon HD 4350. I have no idea if fglrx works with your card. I've been a long time nVidia user (everything just works in nVidia land) and I never realized how lucky I was. A few months ago I decided to go with ATI for graphics when I built my new computer. So I don't have much experience with ATI cards. What I would do If I were you. I would try fglrx and if it doesn't work I would switch back to the open source driver and file a bug. It is relatively easy to switch to the radeon driver in case this thing goes South. Login as root in console mode (not that you have an option here, X won't start anyway :) ) and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vim (replace "fglrx" with "radeon"). Restart and X should start again.

To switch the drivers, it's recommended to use drakx11 (it works from text console too). It doesn't only edit xorg.conf, but does some other jobs too that are necessary to complete the switch.
ahmad

Return to General discussions about Mageia