Rasberry port of Mageia

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

My Raspberry Pi is here.

Postby dwhite » Sep 8th, '12, 00:04

Moved
Last edited by dwhite on Sep 9th, '12, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Rasberry port of Mageia

Postby dwhite » Sep 8th, '12, 11:31

I said I was thinking about it,and now YES I've got one. True I paid to much but rather than wait 12 weeks at £25+VAT to pre-order one I paid £44 inc VAT to get one now. Raspian the OS that comes pre-installed to the HCSD card it boots from is not the best. You need command line to even get in, it took me an hour.
Nothing enthuses me more than something I think needs fixing, I'm not much of a programmer, fact is I'm disabled, non-malignant tumour in my hind-brain. I walk funny, talk funny and people often think I'm drunk so I use my crutches, I type terribly, typeo's and other gobbledy-gooke so Command line is a no no, But I've got time and I want to push the ARM port to fruition. I might even pay for a mirror How long it will take me to install my new wireless keyboard on that is anyone's guess

In fact I would like an ARM port of Mageia for myself. Who wants to help? or is someone doing it already.?
Last edited by dwhite on Sep 8th, '12, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
dwhite

Re: My Raspberry Pi is here.

Postby marja » Sep 8th, '12, 18:11

dwhite wrote:I said I was thinking about it,and now YES I've got one :oops: True I paid to much but rather than wait 12 weeks at £25+VAT to pre-order one I paid £44 inc VAT to get one now. :cry: Raspian the OS that comes pre-installed to the HCSD card it boots from is not the best. :cry: In fact it could be as it's based on debaien be why Linux has such a hard time. only geeks want to use it. While Mageia you only use the command line if you want, and the root partition has a GUI

You say the same here: https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3461, and to be honest, I think that is a better place. Can you please remove this thread here?
marja

Re: Rasberry port of Mageia

Postby marja » Sep 8th, '12, 18:19

dwhite wrote:In fact I would like an ARM port of Mageia for myself. Who wants to help? or is someone doing it already.?

rtp (Arnaud Patard) started working on it, many more are interested and/or bought a Raspberry, too
marja

Postby dwhite » Sep 8th, '12, 18:38

Good. I'm trying to download anything better than debian. Don't quite need assistive tech yet, but command line takes forever. It's so frustrating command line was easy 20 years ago. :cry:
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '12, 17:52

marja wrote:You say the same here: https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3461, and to be honest, I think that is a better place. Can you please remove this thread here?

No he can't, users can only remove their own posts, only moderators can split/merge threads. I've merged the threads now.

EDIT: Unfortunately i can't, as i don't have write access to General discussions subforum :/ Notified a moderator ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Sep 9th, '12, 19:35

I tried but that post was different versions at different at times. Don't know why the spell checker is suddenly off, I have to edit posts in libre. You can delete it before anyone responds.
dwhite

Postby wilcal » Nov 28th, '12, 22:50

I now also have my own Pi now. It's the 512MB version. It's up and running using my Samsung HDTV as a terminal
and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have confirmed that it indeed does have a high performance GPU and can easily
display a 1920x1080 mp4 video file. I've successfully connected a HD SATA -> USB converter box with a 250GB drive
installed and that worked just fine.

I am using the 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img firmware.
"DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
is my friend
wilcal

Return to General discussions about Mageia