Do you plan selling genuine DVD media?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 16:02

I know I won't buy Linux, just the original beautiful install media with some manual maybe with some expert support.
But sometimes I want to have an original physical copy...
Like in 2010 I could buy at Mandriva
DSC_0150.JPG
My Mandriva Powerpack 2010
DSC_0150.JPG (97.8 KiB) Viewed 243 times
tis

Re: Do you plan selling genuine DVD media?

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 18th, '21, 16:40

As you can read at https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/support/
Professional Support
Mageia.Org does not provide or endorse commercial/professional support or other services around the distribution. But there are organisations providing such services and more.

Please check the commercial vendors list https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Commercial_vendors
sturmvogel

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 18:36

Covers are usually made available freely so you can print your own CD/DVD if you really want that: https://www.mageia.org/about/media/
Otherwise there are quite a few sites that sell CD/DVDs for a small fee, you may want to order there.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 20:07

Ty guys,

I could do if I would like write a legal copy of this Linux, and I can print any media for it, but this is just a copy I've made to a writeable DVD, not the same.

Then I'll create bootable pendrive for mga8... Ty
tis

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 20:45

How do you define "legal copy" and how do you think is your copy different then one that would be commissioned by someone else in the community ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 20:58

Not there the difference...

Maybe you could understand better if I choose different product.
e.g. Before I restarted using Linuxes, I played some games and also bought them. Now I can buy them on internet as a downloadable version or just playable if I logged in. But that is not same when You got in a box with manuals, factory made CD's, factory printed documents...
Another feeling get and touch, so not the code is different....
tis

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 21:39

and aaahh,
I think I understand what did you think.

It is an original Mandriva PWP I've ordered from Mandriva, nothing modified, It is as they made and it is not written by me.
Why I said my? because I've paid for it so this is my property... And before you think again, not the code is my property, only the install media, and as licence specified I can use it, modify it, ....
tis

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 23:42

Well, Mageia does not produce CD/DVD media or printed documentation for sale, mostly because we are a nonprofit organisation. Have a look at https://www.mageia.org/about/constitution/
The only difference is for events where Mageia attends and/or has a booth, there are usually a bunch of goodies like CD/DVD or stickers that are being given away for free.
There were ideas a few years back to create USB drives with Mageia on it for a small fee like 5 or 10€ to cover the costs for those, but I don't know how that turned out.

So if you want an actual CD/DVD including documentation, you can either reach out to some of those sites (e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Commercial_v ... re_vendors ) that offer linux CD/DVDs for a very small fee,
or you can burn a CD/DVD and print the documentation yourself, which is freely available. Or create your own business creating and selling such CD/DVDs including documentation, if you think that there's a market for that.
----
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia