Useful packages disappearing for each release

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Useful packages disappearing for each release

Postby pernel » Nov 24th, '20, 11:32

I have been using Mandrake, Mandriva an Mageia for many years. For each new release, support for some useful programs/packages that that i needed is removed from the distro. Most recent examples are between 5 and 6 iwatch, and between 6 and 7 syncthing.
For both of these I filed bugs. For both packages exist simple workarounds. For iwatch I rebuit with Suse open build service and it was only required to change the name of one dependency and it worked. For syncthing I found http://www.mageia-gr.org/rpm/7/x86_64/ at the Greek support forum. Why not include these two packages in the repos for Cauldron? Should be very quick and easy to do this.

Anyhow, I am very greatful for all the the effort that volunteers put into maintaining the distro.
Thank you all!

But I hope anything more will not be broken when it is time to upgrade from Mga 7 to 8...
pernel

Re: Useful packages disappearing for each release

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 24th, '20, 18:33

pernel wrote:Why not include these two packages in the repos for Cauldron? Should be very quick and easy to do this.

If it's quick and easy to do this, why not become a packager and help with that? https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Packagers_Team_portal

From a quick search in bugzilla, there are over 500 requests for new packages. Apart from the open bugreports for existing packages.
If you take a look for the bigger picture, then you may notice that this might be quick and easy for your 2 packages,
but now take hundreds of such requests and it's suddenly not quick and easy to do anymore and a lot of work.

Apart from that, I don't see an open bugreport for syncthing. And iwatch was never imported into Mageia, so it's not "disappearing".
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jibz » Nov 25th, '20, 00:25

On -dev ml, syncthing appears many times, but noone give a nice spec, most of them are not using gomacros and try to vpfownload stuff during build process.
I wrote a better spec, and build it with mga's rules, but I make mistakes on setup, user creatior, and so on. It needs to be fixed and tested by someone who knows well syncthing and can tell what is missing in the installation. (First thing in mind : firewall rules.)
jibz

Postby morgano » Nov 27th, '20, 12:31

Thank you jibz for the effort. Have you asked for help from a dev packager mentor?

This is the bug from pernel: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27659. I too wrote a similar a couple years ago. But the appimage works well.

There are several Ways to install programs in Mageia, if you do not find it packaged. :)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby pernel » Dec 29th, '20, 11:21

Thanks for suggestion to use syncthing appimage. I will try it.
Just found out that the bash debugger "bashdb" that existed in mga7 unfortunately disappeared from the repos for mga8....
pernel

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 29th, '20, 14:03

pernel wrote:Just found out that the bash debugger "bashdb" that existed in mga7 unfortunately disappeared from the repos for mga8....

And did you also check why that's the case currently, or write a bugreport about that ? Or help with a patch to fix that?
bashdb has not been updated for bash 5.1 so it has been obsoleted in the meantime.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia