Updating policy

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Updating policy

Postby adhefe » Dec 10th, '19, 04:04

Hi,

In despite of many advantages of using a distro with such a portfolio of well built packages like mageia, I don't appreciate that much its updating policy ...

I guess Mageia has not necessarily to become a rolling release distro to keep some basic packages up to date:

Example: why to keep Firefox at 68.3 when the 71 release is already available at Mozilla's site?
Example: why not to update gnu's gcc to 9.1 given that it is already considered stable at gnu's site?

These packages are not found in backport repos as well.

That's just a personal opinion, I know.

Thanks for reading this anyway
adhefe

Re: Updating policy

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 11th, '19, 20:32

adhefe wrote:Example: why to keep Firefox at 68.3 when the 71 release is already available at Mozilla's site?

Because 68 is the most recent ESR release, which is what we're using. If you want the latest version, you can easily install that from the tarball provided by Mozilla.

adhefe wrote:Example: why not to update gnu's gcc to 9.1 given that it is already considered stable at gnu's site?

Because the toolchain is usually frozen during the release process of a new stable release.

If you want a rolling release and the most recent versions, feel free to use cauldron (which already has gcc 9)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia