The Mag on a rental server - nice !

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

The Mag on a rental server - nice !

Postby mmm » Jul 18th, '19, 10:04

I've tried the various server web-GUIs like plesk, Vesta, WebMin, softalicious, Fedora30 (looks nice!), CPanel and so forth ... I've been there, done it. But most of them lack in many fundamental ways like they sometimes are just a pitiful :evil: copy of the Bash interface, so one rather ought to use Bash to begin with.

I brought up a couple of Debians with KDE GUI such as Devuan as well as Arch-Linux and so on. Devuan is quite quick & easy, Arch a little less so.

Mageia 6 is super easy to bring up in VNC KDE GUI mode with my vendor (farnox). The stuff you can do is real versatile and much better than plesk paywarez and all the others. The plesk concept essentially is a huge FAIL. Just stick with KDE for your server too! Big time saver! :mrgreen:
Last edited by mmm on Jul 18th, '19, 22:33, edited 3 times in total.
mmm

Mageia server edition

Postby mmm » Jul 18th, '19, 11:10

A lot many current ISO images, however, do not boot from xyz.ISO in Bochs Emu remotely. But the netinstall images often do work.

The Mageia 7 kernel seems to not boot either, while the Mageia-6 kernel (still avail when u upgrade from 6 to 7) works like a charm.

Renting a server is real cheap, you pay by the hour a few microcents (4 € / month) when you delete the server, you are no longer being billed. Then bring back up your server from a saved disk (if and when you can manage to do this, say via clonezilla or such).
Last edited by mmm on Jul 18th, '19, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
mmm

Re: The Mag on a rental server - nice !

Postby mmm » Jul 18th, '19, 22:38

you also can get reverse DNS there as well as SMTP unblocked which makes it a dang nice offer IMHO
mmm

Return to General discussions about Mageia