How is everything going with Mageia

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

How is everything going with Mageia

Postby PCSoftware3 » Oct 30th, '16, 22:45

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask how everything is going with Mageia, because it looks like it is a little bit silent here (Maybe its just me, just created account today, but checking forums for a long time). Also, Mageia 6 development is taking some time.

Sorry for my bad English.
PCSoftware3

Re: How is everything going with Mageia

Postby PCSoftware3 » Oct 31st, '16, 11:15

Sorry, I didn't see the blog post about Mageia 5.1 ISO and update on Mageia 6.
PCSoftware3

Postby xboxboy » Nov 1st, '16, 00:21

Hi Pc,
the beautiful thing about a community distro is there's no over riding corporate needs: I read the latest Ubuntu wasn't great at launch....

The updates are still streaming through for mageia 5, so it's completely supported, it just may not have the latest version of some apps you may need; If this is the case, I'm sure the guys here can help you install the latest version of what you need from source.

Sadly there's been some serious health issues, plus the normal real life issues, affect the dev team. I haven't tested a mageia 6 test iso for a while, but the last one I did looked great. So it will be worth the wait :)
xboxboy

Postby ozky » Nov 7th, '16, 15:10

You could just make network install and it's more up to date than any released iso always.
I run in my main install Mga6 already because Mga5 have too slow performance with my laptop,plus apps are more up to date don't need to backport half of system from src.rpm or spec files with rpmbuild.
Mageia user
ozky

Postby wintpe » Nov 8th, '16, 11:00

I also noticed the forum, is generally a much quieter place, and going by the people i support on mageia 5,
and 3 i would say this has alot to do with how satisfied people are with their PC's running mageia.

I think mageia 5 has become so stable and useable now for everyday tasks, that people are not gunning for new unstable versions, and would rather wait.

I too am testing mageia 6 and do updates, every week just to see if they break anything so i can report my findings.

Im also trying out the 5.1 iso's just to provide feedback, but summing it up, mageia5 is just so good, that people are
not struggling with as many issues as they used to.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to General discussions about Mageia