Taking Mageia to Android

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Taking Mageia to Android

Postby schultz » Oct 10th, '16, 00:07

Hey Everyone,

Well, maybe a slightly misleading title, but for those that want a Mageia inspired Android boot theme, here you go.

You'll need a rooted phone with a root browser. Before I saw more, please take all the precautions that doing anything with a rooted device requires.

To install, rename the bootanimation.zip in /system/media and place the Mageia bootanimation.zip in that directory. This may vary based on your device and or rom, please check before proceeding.

As already stated, anything involving root, just like on Linux can cause issues, so please have proper backups as I won't be offering any tech support with this :)

Hope you enjoy

Image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35tx4 ... sp=sharing

Schultz
Atelier leader
schultz
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10th, '11, 14:08
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby evaldas » Mar 5th, '17, 19:35

do you meant one can't have mageia phone?
evaldas
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Feb 9th, '14, 19:06

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby ozky » Mar 10th, '17, 20:55

No mean that Mageia branded custom boot theme can have problems,you need to root your phone and change it manually it can cause problems with phones.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/change-and ... animation/
Image
Just leave me alone i know what i'm drinking.
User avatar
ozky
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Jul 2nd, '11, 08:48
Location: Ulvila Finland

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 10th, '17, 21:57

evaldas wrote:do you meant one can't have mageia phone?

That is not what he meant, but nevertheless that is currently the case - there is no Mageia Phone or Mageia for Android as of now.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 16072
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby schultz » Mar 10th, '17, 22:12

No it's just a boot theme.

There is an arm build of Mageia, however, it is more for arm based computers as the hardware in phones is pretty specialised.
Atelier leader
schultz
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 10th, '11, 14:08
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby evaldas » Mar 11th, '17, 12:35

But I think pc will disappear in few years, only phones and servers will left. Is it not time to prepare mageia 8 for phones?
evaldas
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Feb 9th, '14, 19:06

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '17, 20:51

Sure, go ahead.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
User avatar
doktor5000
 
Posts: 16072
Joined: Jun 4th, '11, 10:10
Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby wintpe » Aug 22nd, '17, 11:11

Re PC's will disappear.

I dont think so, certainly not in data centers and support roles like i do.

in Homes, well yes you may have a point there from the perspective of family who have no interest in technology itself and only want to interact with the future world.

But I really dont think PC's will disappear, as if they did , what will those android/windows/ios/anyother interact with.

remember servers are just PC's without a graphics card, and this is the area where linux is king

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: May 22nd, '11, 17:08
Location: Rayleigh,, Essex , UK

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 18th, '20, 07:26

doktor5000 wrote:
evaldas wrote:do you meant one can't have mageia phone?

That is not what he meant, but nevertheless that is currently the case - there is no Mageia Phone or Mageia for Android as of now.


I am a bit new to Mageia but I was a Mandriva fan and am thrilled to see the project still going so I am back.

About Android. :evil: If you like being tracked 24/7 by Goggle the next OS Empire. On the other hand, the Librem phone and that other really expensive company I can't remember at the moment.
Sorry their mobile is JUST too expensive for me but both these devices and I think there may be another project are aiming at basically running Linux straight. For example I am using Sailfish X on
a Sony Xperia... :cry: (I hate using a sealed battery device, I really do. But to have a removable battery my devices were from 2013 & 2014, they were getting old so I picked this up recently) I find
the experience and being FREE of Goggle nice. But they have to use some kind of stack linked to Android because all mobile devices made by the major companies have no real available hardware
drivers for LINUX or for anything that isn't Goggle Bot.

So as those projects mature and Mageia with 8 here and in the future focuses more on ARM architecture compatibility, maybe we can see a Mageia image for one of those 2 devices mentioned above?

Oh, Pine Phone, those are the really expensive guys... especially when the device isn't really READY? I decided that I refuse to pay over a certain amount, like $150 as paid for my Xperia Xa2 here, for
a mobile toy. They just don't have that much impact in my life personally.

Just a thought as there is more clamor over getting away from Goggle and Crapple!! Seems many see open source Linux as the answer...
Sabungayam
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 18th, '20, 06:52

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby xboxboy » Aug 19th, '20, 01:49

If you're serious about living in a google free world, then please check out:

https://e.foundation/

Guess who started that??? Ah yes, Gaël Duval

Ring any bells???

Gael was founder of Mandrake Linux :o

Check it out!
xboxboy
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Jun 2nd, '13, 06:41

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 02:29

Yes, that name does sound familiar. I will have a look at that. Thanks for the link.

At least to some degree, I am minimizing how much Goggle is 'in' my life. Getting rid of their mobiles. If I still use them, I have one rooted or else I will NOT use
a Goggle device. It is why I bought my Sailfish X device. I had so much trouble rooting 1 and the other was unable to be rooted because LG decided they felt
the bootloader should not be unlocked.

Welcome to Anti-rollback!!! This is a new feature by Goggle on their Goggle Bot.

A friend of mine had an older device like mine and it died. Said they didn't care so I sent them the unit that I couldn't root. I certainly won't use it.

No sign in with Goggle account and being rooted getting rid of as much Goggle stuff as I can. It is unfortunate the root method is kind of a hack that goes under the bootloader? At least there was a way.

So the Bootloader is not unlocked and I cannot install say, LineageOS. Which would be Goggle free when it comes. But honestly, when my Win 2 didn't have a broken hinge, that's what I carried with my
pocket WiFi. I don't see anything for my life necessary to do with a Mobile Toi that I can't do with a computer.

Mostly if you're into the social thing, which I am not, then that's where they suck people in because all these social media things don't have a valid computer version. Need your phone number etc to sign into.

I told people the very few, sorry, I can't use these apps because I cannot move them fully to the accounts, app with data to Sailfish X because it is not Goggle Bot and the root app I use to do this can not function
there.

Use an altenative, Skype? Or don't... keep in touch. It will have to work on a computer...

So yeah, I will read your link, thank you. At the moment trying to install Windoz in Virtualbox but it says the Guest additions are missing. Thought those were installed? So trying to get that done.

Thank you again. From my understanding, Europe feels they're having a bit of trouble with Goggle and Crapple too, but mostly Goggle from a few things I have been reading.
Sabungayam
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 18th, '20, 06:52

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby varrin » Aug 22nd, '20, 12:55

evaldas wrote:But I think pc will disappear in few years, only phones and servers will left. Is it not time to prepare mageia 8 for phones?


Apparently from 2017 to 2020 wasn't enough. How about Mageia 12???

Seriously, though, the prevalence of Android is both an opportunity and a problem for desktop linux distros.

On one end of the spectrum, Plasma Mobile replaces Android. KDE's answer is to take the desktop to the handset with a 'mobile mode'. Not a bad choice, but not without drawbacks (no Android apps).

On the other end of the spectrum, Google's answer (maybe inspired by Samsung's DeX) is to desktop-ize Android. They quietly introduced a desktop mode to Android 10. Not a bad choice, but not without drawbacks (no GNU/Linux apps).

I've tried DeX and, though dandy in some ways, it simply can't do some important tasks that my laptop, running Mageia, can do. It won't run full Java, won't run a full office suite that can successfully mail merge, prints wonky, and, maybe most importantly, doesn't have an email app that can handle maildir with a million emails (okay, so I exaggerate... barely over 1/4 million, and since Kmail2 even Kmail doesn't handle it *well*, but it continues to work). But going the Plasma Mobile route introduces another set of problems: dependence on Android apps (or, for those so inclined, their iOS equivalents). The ideal solution would offer both. Also note that I'm not insisting that Google per se is an absolute requirement (though it should be an option). Just that Android apps have become essential for many use cases.

A potential both/and solution exists. Maru keeps Android (via Lineage) and runs Debian for desktop mode (Android mode keeps running on the handset). I haven't dug deeply into the architecture but I'm guessing it runs the same kernel to support both Android and the desktop. It depends on Lineage, so it's not a self-contained solution at the moment. But it seems like a step in the right direction. The slickest solution of all would be something akin to Maru but that could run either desktop apps or Android apps on either the desktop or the phone screen.

I understand that's way beyond the scope of Mageia, but I've longed for that sort of solution since before the Motorola Atrix (2011). The Atrix took a swing at it, DeX and Plasma Mobile take a different sort of swing at it, Maru takes a swing at it. But what seems to me to be the 'deal maker' now is the fact that the hardware is sufficient to pull something like this off. Modern chipsets are many times more capable than in the Atrix era (~2011), and the power/video/data/docking situation is vastly improved (see eg. NexDock, or any $30 Amazon USB-C/Thunderbolt dock solution). This should be possible now.

So in some form or another, this concept of phone replacing desktop is at least due, if not overdue. I put this out there not to place some unrealistic expectation specifically on the Mageia devs. But I am interested in moving in this direction and have been long enough that I hoped that my current laptop (2013 vintage) would last until it's time to ditch the laptop completely. After recently testing DeX and Maru (alas, not truly production ready), I think we're close but not quite there yet. I'll probably have to buy one more laptop.

The question for Mageia is, will it be there when it's time to go phone-only? If so, that will mean embracing some sort of idea along these lines. That's more involved than merely compiling Mageia for ARM. But if Mageia doesn't start thinking about that, I imagine its days are numbered. I don't say that to be a discouragement, rather to inspire some visionary planning.

V-
(full-time Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia user since 2003)
varrin
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Nov 20th, '11, 03:12

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 22nd, '20, 13:47

I think the projects I mentioned earlier are more likely to HELP in what you hope for. Everything you mentioned about the shortcoming of the Half baked Mobile systems is what hate about using them.

Add to this that just like Linux and open source Operating systems struggled on the computer and still do, the Mobile Hardware is LOCKED. More than computer hardware. By the time something can be gotten to accept a Linux OS fully on mobile it's like 50 generations behind and even those of us who want Linux pure on a mobile device are then reluctant to use said devices because, they're old and slow.

So those mobiles, like Purism and the other I mentioned are a step in the right direction. It's gotta be roll you own hardware and that has been the biggest problem from day one.

There are more and more attempts to get these Moblie apps to the desktop and as I do use this Sailfish OS with android support, it's doable. They run pretty well and most of your biggest problem with them is
my NEXT big sore point.

The tracking, the data mining, the privacy invasion. Who wants that? These apps REFUSE to work without Goggle Playstore installed. Even if you get them from other sources they may NOT act right not
because you Goggle Bot compatibility layer is not so good but because they can not find Gapps.

So myself personally, ditch the garbage... but that's me and I am an big time introvert so I don't need social media. But realizing that others do, so you have to make you own choice about it.

This is why I bought a very small compute, 8 inches.

I thought some of the 7 inchers were nice too and I have a 6 in. I will happily carry a pockte Wifi and my computers that are small enough to carry and a dumb phone... or something old that can take a SIM
and make a call. The hardware that's most affordable for LINUX to run full on are these smaller & smaller computers.

Given that we often carry power banks with us, if you are a heavy mobile toi user, you will have a power bank because what I see is that the battery life in REAL life is not that much better than what I was
getting with my 6 inch palm top.

What you may miss is the constant notifications... I think it's a distraction. It could be nice for people to unplug.

So the future of Linux Mobile would be with projects like very small computers or if you want ARM someone doing something different with the littel Arm computer. Rasberry. If someone found a way to get it on a board with a wireless radio.

When you get down to it, the only thing a mobile device is, is something that can connect to the mobile Data networks. The hope is someone makes something else that is accessable.

Intel had somethig but suddenly no longer are making a mobile radio. The nice thing about the design was that it was meant to be plugged in not like Qualcomm does it making you buy a whole chipset
from them with all their crap on it which they only give drivers to those who pay them large sums of money.

This would then make it possible to get components that are Linux compatible fully with a mobile radio but again seems intel stepped away from it.

I personally cringe to think in anyway of MORE mobile adoption with the way the devices are designed to trace track and invade my privacy...

But for now, the place to look is in the small computing area where computer makers are basically trying to fight back by making computers not too much bigger than Mobile Toiz and with much better use cases.

That's why I will personally no longer pay any more than $200 max inculding shipping for a mobile toi. But again, that's just me.

Interesting to see what the near future brings. By the way, some of the little laptops or palmtops as I like to call them, some of them come with the ability to accept a SIM card directly. Forgot which companies were doing that.

So here we are again with that thought. There is because of Linux mobile projects a linux dialer. Plus other things to deal with setting up mobile networks. If the computer has mobile network capabilty what do we need a mobile toi for with all it's limits? Especially if a good project matures that enables running those mobile apps on a computer?

Yeah, a kind of dilemma for some...
Sabungayam
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 18th, '20, 06:52

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby varrin » Aug 25th, '20, 16:15

Sabungayam wrote:The tracking, the data mining, the privacy invasion. Who wants that? These apps REFUSE to work without Goggle Playstore installed. Even if you get them from other sources they may NOT act right not
because you Goggle Bot compatibility layer is not so good but because they can not find Gapps.


Sure, that's a problem. And it's one that I'm not totally unconcerned with. But the reason people accept all that nonsense is because it's usable. Google and Facebook put a lot of energy into making useful tools. They afford to do that by learning everything they can about you and monetizing that information. Love it or hate it, that's a functional business model that works as long as people accept it. And they accept it for exactly one reason: it works. Obviously those companies (and many more like them) have a *dis*incentive to keep it usable when you fire them, so they try to break as much as possible when you go away.

At first glance, the solution appears to be getting rid of them. But I disagree. Building a google-free environment sounds great, but nobody will use it if it's not usable. I think the first step is to build something usable.... which *can* not depend on Google, whether or not it actually does at the moment. And then learn how to prune Google/Facebook/etc. out from that highly usable environment. Mageia's heritage is usability. The Drake tools brought in people who weren't ready to hack away on the command line. They were happy to abandon Windows, but *first* they must have something usable. I think the same will be true regarding mobile architecture.

Given that we often carry power banks with us, .... notifications... I think it's a distraction....


Many people don't carry power banks. Many people want notifications. Usability is the path to adoption.

So the future of Linux Mobile would be with projects like very small computers...


... called cell phones. Usability, again. Normal people aren't going to carry around SBCs in homemade boxes paired to hotspots just because developers can't figure out how to keep up with the usability leaders. I'm not an Apple fan, but it's absolutely undeniable that they changed the world with the iPhone. One device does so much. And here is a vision for deconstructing that elegant solution all to get rid of Google (or Apple, or whatever)??? Maybe that's fine for you. But it's not *usable* for me. The evil solutions are better.

Anyway, I don't mean to completely oppose what you're saying. There's a lot of value in your observations. But it seems you underestimate the value of modern mobile OS's to so many people. Fundamentally, Android is Linux, so it's not that there's some problem with Linux. The problem is building it into something useful for a wide swath of the populace. That's going to require some vision...

V-
varrin
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Nov 20th, '11, 03:12

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby jiml8 » Aug 28th, '20, 02:58

The tracking, the data mining, the privacy invasions...all can be addressed successfully, although it takes a lot of configuration and a fair amount of knowledge. My 6 year old Galaxy S5, running Lineage OS, does have google stuff on it...because the company I work with uses google tools so I have to have access.

To deal with this, I have three different firewall profiles. One profile blocks everything google from the internet. The second profile - the one I use most of the time - allows enough google traffic for the Hangouts app and the Meet app to work, because I need those for my work. The third profile allows a lot more google traffic, for those occasions (mostly when I am overseas or when I am doing updates from the play store) when I don't mind the tracking and need location-related services to navigate in these foreign lands.

In my day to day use, my phone does not spy on me. I do access FB and some other social media sites using my phone, but I never use their dedicated apps; they DO spy and you can't stop them. I just use a browser. Usually Brave, which works just fine.

Now, the point about a built-in battery is well-taken. I presently have started to shop for a new phone; mine is getting a bit twitchy due to its advancing age, and at this point I have not identified any phone that both has a removable battery and is supported by Lineage OS. I am thinking maybe the FairPhone 3 will become supported, but so far it is not.

I recently purchased a smart TV that runs android. Can't root it...won't let it spy...so I have to reorganize my network. I deployed a vlan (which I call the IOT vlan) just for the TV. I then deployed 2 raspberry pi computers (both running raspberry pi OS on arm processors, btw). One RPI has become a pihole DNS server for my entire network. It resides on both the main LAN and the IOT VLAN, and provides ad- and tracker- blocking DNS to every one of my devices and VMs. On the IOT VLAN, it is firewalled off completely except for port 53, thus permitting the TV to use it for DNS but not to have any access to it other than DNS.

The other pi has been configured to reside completely on the IOT VLAN, with no connection to the main LAN, and to function as a filtering VPN gateway/proxy for the IOT VLAN.

This VLAN is firewalled off at the router so that no internet traffic to or from it is allowed, except for traffic from this raspberry pi. Naturally, the router also denies traffic between LAN/VLANs; the whole point is to prevent this. Thus, the IOT VLAN is fully isolated from my other systems and traffic, and its DNS comes from a device that filters and its gateway also filters as well as conceals my location.

The TV is told to use the RPI as its gateway. The RPI receives traffic from the VLAN, filters it to remove any packets that have a destination that is identified as a DNS server (thus filtering out DoH and DoT traffic), then sends the traffic out a VPN.

I confess that my main NAS also resides on the IOT VLAN (as well as another vlan and the main lan) with one SMB share exposed (named Videos). and devices on the IOT vlan have access to this share as read-only guests. This NAS is quite secure, though, and I don't anticipate any malware on the TV being able to break into it.

I have been monitoring the TV since I set it up (about 3 weeks ago) and I have all tracking blocked. I do have to allow a bit of it for certain content to work, but it is a tradeoff I can choose to make or not, and the security means that my location is anonymous and no other systems that I own and use are being identified and targeted.

As for a portable roll-your-own device that can access the cell network, take a look at https://www.quectel.com. I am presently evaluating and using several different models of their pcie LTE modems, and I must say I am quite impressed. If you were to purchase one of these (I presently am looking at the EC-25AF and EC-25AFX, and have previously evaluated the EP-06, and I can recommend any of them, depending on your particular needs) and install it in a pcie to USB adapter that will handle a SIM card (like this https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Express- ... 284&sr=8-4), you could plug it into a USB port on the RPI and you would have your cellular connection. There is driver support for Linux; it would be no problem to get it going and to configure it for data. I am in fact doing that using freebsd as my OS for some work I'm doing. For FreeBSD, I have had to do some driver work, but these modems are working well. I have not investigated how to configure it for voice, but I am sure there is software available.

The point is that you can indeed preserve your privacy and stop the spying. It isn't easy, but it can be done.

Here is the code I wrote to block DoH traffic. I just run it at the end of my normal firewall script. https://github.com/jiml8/blockDoH/blob/ ... lockDoh.py
jiml8
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Jul 7th, '13, 18:09

Re: Taking Mageia to Android

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 28th, '20, 14:19

@varrin...

No no, you observations are really TRUE. That is why people are addicted to the Mobile experience. It is WHY people choose to use it. I have a friend, to underline exactly what you said, I had gotten 2 devices to replace my very old devices. 1 was unrootable and I just will not use Goggle Bot as a personal choice without root. I also was as I stated getting rid of Goggle services.

My friend, was exactly like you said, She said, "I don't care or mind if they spy on me. I would use it." SO I sent her the device I just bought because in fact hers had broken and she was using her husbands 2nd device which was an iToy. She did NOT like the experience and wanted Goggle Bot back. She is actually an Introvert like myself.

But she is more media interested than I am.

I don't think that these things can't be built for computers. They were, FaKeBooK which you mentioned.

Yeah, Crapple is the Marketing ripoff KING and people sniff their bottom and EAT their crap right up. They didn't create the 1st touch screen device. That was Nokia but it flopped. Nokia was working on the linux system for intenet tablets which could have been the forerunner to what we use today but for whatever reason they were slow as Molasses. Goggle announced their project but somehow Crapple jump started and got ahead but maybe was halfway there with those music things they were selling already.

I am really a big time Introvert,,, I do not watch TV and you wouldn't believe the last time I saw a movie.

BUt people are SHEEP that's a sad fact and they are not taking care.... and to them convenience is more of important than privacy, rights or safety.

Sad shame that...

I think a lot of FREE things exist to take over where these things are "convienient" but that marketing drive by a company who worships the HOLY DOLLAR isn't there and that's another truth you spoke.

The only thing I disagree with you on, is it isn't really our developers that can't KEEP up with the hardware. It really IS a lockout and Crapple & Goggle pay lots of money to make sure no one else can get that hardware driver etc... if this were possible no reason that something Linux based can't run on these mobile Toiz out here now.

Even the Sailfish X I'm using is actually running on top of or using some parts from the original Goggle Bot Kernel that came with the Xperia, and because Sony released it to them they can access and run the hardware. It is Linux but not quite direct.

Before we maybe talk about DETOX for the mobile addicted, like you say it's offering them an experience that works.

Yeah, a lot of people don't carry Battery packs... they're the ones standing around looking antsy as their device is about to power down because they've been on it non stop. I do carry a battery pack but I have little need of it because I use my device so little in the 1st place. But I still stand that no matter WHAT CLAIM for batter life is made, use the mobile Toiz heavily and they can run out fast. This is just from watching the antsy folk freak out when there's no outlet available.

I do have to say that's kind of strange. They will carry their charger and cord with them but they can't be bothered to carry a battery pack? Some are pretty small right now... Not big at all.

No worries, you just named all the things I hear from everyone else who can't believe I have no real interest in Mobile Toiz... about how convenient it is. I guess if you do the social networking thing, it may be. ;)

It would be nice to see REAL Linux on a mobile device just for the option of choice.
Sabungayam
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Aug 18th, '20, 06:52


Return to General discussions about Mageia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest