<DONE> Mageia 5 and Release 6

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

<DONE> Mageia 5 and Release 6

Postby rbeltz48 » Aug 25th, '16, 21:36

I have been using Linux since 2006, mostly Debian and Ubuntu flavors. Plus I test many distros as well. I just installed Mageia 5 MATE 32-bit yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be a well polished distro. I have managed to install virtually everything I currently have on my Linux Mint MATE & Ubuntu MATE laptops (4 Lenovo Thinkpads T61 & T400). I have tested other RPM based distros in the past. But Mageia 5 seems to be easier to use and more user friendly than any of them, although installation did take considerably longer than Mint or Ubuntu MATE.

My one suggestion to the developers is to make installation of various packages easier than it currently is with Mageia. I had to go on the web and take considerable time to find a couple of the packages I use, rather than finding them in the package manager as I do with Mint & Ubuntu MATE.

As far as Mageia 6 goes, how does one do a release upgrade? Can it be done straight from the web or does one have to do a fresh install from media such as a DVD iso? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rbeltz48 on Aug 28th, '16, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
rbeltz48

Re: Mageia 5 and Release 6

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 25th, '16, 23:06

rbeltz48 wrote:My one suggestion to the developers is to make installation of various packages easier than it currently is with Mageia. I had to go on the web and take considerable time to find a couple of the packages I use, rather than finding them in the package manager as I do with Mint & Ubuntu MATE.

Hi there :)
Please be a little more verbose, and describe
  • what particular issues you had to find packages
  • why you needed to go to the web to find packages
  • which packages you were looking for
  • and finally some particular proposals how this could be improved

I suggest you should also take a look at http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/rpmdrake.html and in our wiki at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... rrectly.3F
and maybe https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Install_medi ... _beginners to get started with software management in Mageia.

rbeltz48 wrote:As far as Mageia 6 goes, how does one do a release upgrade? Can it be done straight from the web or does one have to do a fresh install from media such as a DVD iso? Thanks in advance.

You can upgrade via the DVD or via online repos, take a look: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_6_Rel ... m_Mageia_5
(Please keep in mind that those are preliminary release notes and the upgrade will only work once Mageia 6 has been released and mirrors have synced).
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rbeltz48 » Aug 27th, '16, 17:34

Please be a little more verbose, and describe

what particular issues you had to find packages
why you needed to go to the web to find packages
which packages you were looking for
and finally some particular proposals how this could be improved

I found Bibletime in the repository but not Xiphos, also a Bible study program. I had to go to the Fedora database and spent considerable time trying to figure out which version of Xiphos and a required program (libsword 1.7.3) was needed to allow Xiphos to run. I downloaded several releases and tried to install them before I hit on the right one which had all the required dependencies met.

I wonder why Bibletime was in the respository but Xiphos was not. I prefer Xiphos and have used it extensively for many years, along with Bibletime and both "eSword" and "The Word" which run under Wine.

I hope that any future program installs will not take this much time and research. Thanks.
rbeltz48

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 27th, '16, 22:59

Well, your problem (program not yet contained in Mageia repositories) will not be solved by improving the software management.

Before you spent considerable time trying to get xiphos & dependencies installed, you could have simply asked here.
Or used the forum search function, which would have yielded: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9810

For the question why xiphos hasn't been packaged for Mageia yet, see e.g. the package request for it: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1900
As Mageia consists solely of contributors doing this in their spare time, there has been nobody so far who stepped up to package, import and and maintain xiphos for Mageia.
Feel free to contribute, become a Mageia packager to add xiphos to the Mageia repositories.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rbeltz48 » Aug 28th, '16, 00:59

Before you spent considerable time trying to get xiphos & dependencies installed, you could have simply asked here.
Or used the forum search function, which would have yielded: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9810

Thanks doktor5000. But what I did to get Xiphos installed was much easier than what I found at that topic post. I am a happy camper now and have all the needed programs installed. I will test Mageia 5 over the next few weeks to see how I like it. Thanks again!
rbeltz48

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 28th, '16, 12:22

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia