Release dates

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Release dates

Postby cb » Aug 11th, '16, 22:15

Is there some way to get a better idea on the release dates? I have gone to the wiki planning page many times, but is is always out of date. For instance it currently says the RC will be released in early August and snapshot 2 has yet to be released. The reason I am interested in this is because I run a lab of just over 100 Linux boxes in a lab environment for a University. The first week of September is the start of a new term so I need to create a new image with updated software. I was hoping to use Mageia 6 as the OS, but if it will not be ready like the wiki says it will be I will have to use something else. Even if it was at RC I could throw it in the lab and update it when the final release is done, but I have no idea how close Snapshot 2 or RC are from being release. I need to start the image soon so that it will be ready for September.

Thanks for all the effort the developers put into the distribution. I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia for over 16 years and love it.
cb

Re: Release dates

Postby plspls » Aug 16th, '16, 12:52

do we know the release date now?
plspls

Postby cb » Aug 23rd, '16, 23:55

After trying Mageia 6 sta1 I have had to look at a different solution for the lab. Mageia 6 sta1 looked promising until I added LDAP accounts and NFS home directories. The uses just get a black screen with the Mageia welcome window when they login. I have tried to delete config files and even tried with an empty home directory, but I still get the same result. Also, auto mounting nfs directories seems to hang the machine on shutdown/reboot.

It would still be nice if there were more updates on the release dates though.
cb

Postby morgano » Aug 26th, '16, 22:23

Automounting NFS seem to work well here on mga6, but I do not use LDAP. I use it only for kind of local storage though.
NFS server is an Mageia5, clients Mageia5 and 6. I have not tested much on mga6, but yes there have been trouble shutting mageia5 laptops down when they are moved from home and wants to talk to server on LAN... takes ages before they give up, if ever.

My lines in fstab on the computers looks like this:
servername:/mnt/Share /mnt/borg/Library nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=5,retrans=4,hard,intr,async,nolock,noatime,nosuid,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0
No idea if it is optimal, this is not my cup of tea...
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby cb » Aug 26th, '16, 22:41

Thanks for you help. I will try some of the options and see if they work.
cb

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 26th, '16, 22:45

Well, how do you automount the NFS folders? Via automount daemon ?

Actually for remote filesystems you should at least mark them with _netdev so systemd knows that those are only to be started once the network is up.
noauto as option is probably not a good idea for home directories though ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby cb » Aug 26th, '16, 22:58

doktor5000 wrote:Well, how do you automount the NFS folders? Via automount daemon ?

Yes we are using autofs to grab mount information from ldap and the automount daemon takes care of the mounting.
doktor5000 wrote:Actually for remote filesystems you should at least mark them with _netdev so systemd knows that those are only to be started once the network is up.
noauto as option is probably not a good idea for home directories though ;)

We are definitely not using the _netdev option, so I will try that, but the issue only arises on shutdown. I think that the network is being shutdown before the automounts are unmounted. Would this option help with that as well?
cb

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 27th, '16, 05:09

Well, maybe the ldap client starts too late, did you check the ordering when those two start? But in any case that's probably something for a separate thread, any objections on splitting that off ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia