[SOLVED] Minecraft on Mageia

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

[SOLVED] Minecraft on Mageia

Postby mla » Sep 16th, '11, 17:04

Has anybody managed to get Minecraft running on Mageia? It works fine for me on Mandriva 10.2 (x64), but crashes on attempting to login under Mageia.
mla

Re: Minecraft on Mageia

Postby Akien » Sep 16th, '11, 21:12

It works fine here, but I think I had a few things to set before.

Did you follow the instructions from minecraft.net?, i.e.:
minecraft.net wrote:The jar is executable and might work as-is. If you run into memory issues, try launching it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame, also please use Sun's JVM.

Mageia is shipped with OpenJDK as a free alternative to Sun's JVM, still you can find java-sun-1.6.0 in the Nonfree repository. Then you have to set it as the default JVM, using this command (IIRC):
Code: Select all
su
update-alternatives --config java
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby mla » Sep 16th, '11, 21:48

Thanks. I have both Mandriva 2010.2 and Mageia 1 dual booting on the same machine (64 bit versions in both cases), so the hardware is identical. As is the Minecraft installation and invocation command, since I mount the same /home on both systems. And yes, I use the long command line as recommended by the Minecraft installation instructions. And both Mandriva and Magia have OpenJDK 1.6.0 (22b22.2mdv2010.2 and 14.b22.5.mga1 respectively).

On Mandriva I have no problem. On Mageia I get the login screen, but when I actually attempt to login, there is a long pause and then the following message appears

"
Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured."

I duly mailed the message several days ago, but to be honest, Mageia is not, at present a major player (yet!), so I don't expect a rapid resolution. Asking on this forum might, I thuoght, be more productive.
mla

Postby mla » Sep 16th, '11, 22:02

By a remarkable coincidence (?) OpenJDK 1.6.0 update has just arrived. Alas, the symptoms remain the same with this update (I even rebooted the system, just to make absolutely sure). Minecraft crashes out with the same message. The principal error being reported is "failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)".

Any ideas anybody?
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 16th, '11, 22:17

Why haven't you tried out what Akien suggested, that should fix your problem.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mla » Sep 16th, '11, 22:33

Um... sorry, I shuold have said... I did try it. No difference. It still crashes in the same manner.

Besides, it would seem to me that if it works with OpenJDK on Mandriva 2010.2, it is rather surprising that it does not on Mageia. Probably naive of me. :-)
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 16th, '11, 23:29

mla wrote:Um... sorry, I shuold have said... I did try it. No difference. It still crashes in the same manner.

Besides, it would seem to me that if it works with OpenJDK on Mandriva 2010.2, it is rather surprising that it does not on Mageia. Probably naive of me. :-)

Well, strange that it works here, with both Java stacks:
[doktor5000@mageia1 ~]$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.10.2) (fedora-14.b22.5.1.mga1-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

Minecraft beta (that's the only thing i found there to download') launches fine.
Then change to Orcales JVM:
[doktor5000@mageia1 ~]$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 2 programs which provide `java'.

Selection    Command
-----------------------------------------------
*+    1        /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java
      2        /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
Using `/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java' to provide `java'.

[doktor5000@mageia1 ~]$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Minecraft beta still launches fine.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mla » Sep 17th, '11, 00:17

Oh, it launches all right. The crash happens when I attempt to start a game, i.e. click on the "login" button (I think you need to register a free Minecraft account to get that) or try to run the game off-line(I get a "play off-line" button in such a case).

FWIW, OpenJDK on Mandriva "java -version" gives IcedTea6 1.10.3 rather rather than 1.10.2 -- the rest is the same.
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '11, 10:22

Have you asked Minecraft developers about this problem?
----
doktor5000

Postby mla » Sep 17th, '11, 11:02

Sure. Got an automated message back saying it might get looked at. As already noted earlier in the thread, Mageia is not yet a platform of sufficient importance to have such things investigated by software providers. And once one adds the fact that Minecraft runs happily on Mandriva 2010.2 with the same Java version, if I were them I'd certainly say: go talk to Mageia people. :-(

In any case, I am beginning to wonder whether this is just a symptom of a much deeper problem. Now that I am trying to use Mageia as my main desktop OS, I see the OS hanging fairly frequently and apparently at random, with no immediately obvious common factor to the hangs.

That's admittedly not the same as a Java program crashing, but I am a great fan of the Occam's Razor. :-)

I'll start a separate thread on the hangs in a mo.
mla

Postby mla » Sep 17th, '11, 17:27

OK, Minecraft problem solved and it may well solve the hangs problem too. Unlike Mandriva, Mageia does *not* by default install NVidia drivers on machines with NVidia graphics. Installing the non-free x11-driver-video-nvidia-current package results in Minecraft working as it should.
mla

Re: [SOLVED] Minecraft on Mageia

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 18th, '11, 19:56

Mandriva does also not install Nvidia driver as default. Maybe you mistaken a Mandriva LiveCD install (includes/uses proprietary stuff by default) with a Mageia FreeDVD install? Per definition the Nvidia driver can't ne distributed on the Free DVDs. Has maybe changed with Mandriva 2011, dunno.
----
doktor5000

Postby mla » Sep 18th, '11, 21:38

True. I was thinking of the Mandriva power-pack. I understand and accept that Mageia is not going that route. OTOH don't be surprised if other former Mandriva users need to be explicitly reminded of the fact.
mla

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 18th, '11, 21:49

Well, you got a point there. But even then, Mandriva Powerpack != Mandriva Linux ;)
----
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia