Firefox downloading/saving has been downgraded

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Firefox downloading/saving has been downgraded

Postby datcha » Jun 14th, '16, 23:34

On Monday June 13 2016. I received an update for my Mageia 5, which I applied as usual.
It changed the behaviour of the file management box, i.e., the interface for downloading a file or saving a page, when accessing the web with Firefox.

My main problem is that I often have to change file names when downloading. The former interface, up to yesterday, would select the basename of the file being dowloaded (but not the suffix), which I could easily replace by a single mouse middle-click on the left of the basename. It was then replaced by whatever text had been previously selected with the mouse.

The important point is that I did not have to delete first (as now required), and that the original basename of the downloaded file did not replace at any time whatever had been previously selected with the mouse, so that I could download easily with consistant basename change files with different suffixes.

It now takes me at least five times longer to do the same work. There are some other points that make me unhappy, but this is the major one.

The previous interface impressed me as subtle ergonomic engineering. The new interface is a pedestrian backward modification, though I can understand that the list of downloading directories may appeal for naive uses. But it could have been easily added to the previous interface.

Could someone explain to me why an important feature has be so degraded?

Is there a way to revert to the previous downloading interface?
datcha

Re: Firefox downloading/saving has been downgraded

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 15th, '16, 17:42

This might be an upstream change from Mozilla, but I can't tell as I'm not using firefox anymore. If it is, you would have to forward your complaints to Mozilla, not to Mageia.

But for some required details, what desktop environment do you use? And what particular firefox version do you use currently, can you please post the output of
Code: Select all
rpm -q firefox
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia