Is there no Mageia hosting providers ?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Is there no Mageia hosting providers ?

Postby finkel » Apr 18th, '16, 17:57

I am a member of an association where I am the only guy in the association who knows computer so I'm in change of everything-computer. We recently voted a budget to rent a virtual server to host our website. And I though, why not use Mageia ? Mageia can be used to host websites, right ?

In theory, yes, it can. In practice, good luck finding a hosting provider which provides Mageia virtual servers: Mission Impossible.

I looked at the commercial vendors page on the wiki. A few providers were listed. Well, in reality, they either dropped support for Mageia long ago, or did not update it past Mageia 2. It's a wiki, I updated the list, it's empty now.

Question: does anyone know of any hosting provider which have support for Mageia ?

And if the answer is no, any idea why there is none ? Is Mageia not a relevant distribution for website hosting ?
finkel

Re: Is there no Mageia hosting providers ?

Postby xboxboy » Apr 19th, '16, 01:53

It's not so much that mageia isn't relevant for hosting websites. i develop all mine on mageia. Then just ftp up to the host to put it on line.

As a communitee, rather than commercial distro, we don't offer any 'official' or 'paid' support. That's the difference between us and the big boys:
Red Hat
Ubuntu (canonical)
Suse
Cloud linux

If a host has these, and something goes awry, they phone up the commercial partner and it gets fixed.

Who do you call when mageia goes awry? It doesn't very often, but nothings perfect.

So what you might have to do is rent a blank server and install mageia on it, but then you'll have little support from the host. I know when I've faced hacking issues, a few emails and it gets sorted out, but if i'd installed mageia I'd probably get told to sort it myself.

of course the other option is host your own site on you're own server. If it's not a big site, or one that's accessed by thousands of people at the same time, this can easily be done.
xboxboy

Postby finkel » Apr 19th, '16, 19:55

I have to disagree. The most common distributions available on virtual servers are the following:
Debian, Centos, Fedora, FreeBSD, Ubuntu.

With the notable exception of Ubuntu, none of them offer any kind of paid support.
finkel

Postby finkel » Apr 19th, '16, 22:49

Another reason that make me dubious of the paid support story is that in the first years of the project, several hosting providers started offering Mageia, as documented in the history of the commercial vendors page. What I find intriguing is that none considered it worthwhile to continue to offer it.

How can we explain that ? Did we have a major change in the LAMP stack ? Unfixed bugs ? Lack of critical packages ? Too short support periods between releases ? Is it the long delays in the recent releases ? Or is it that the Mageia user base is generally declining ?

Those questions used to have precise answers in the yearly reports. Sadly, there is no such reports for the past 2 years.
finkel

Return to General discussions about Mageia