General Report 2015, 2014

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

General Report 2015, 2014

Postby rloiseau » Feb 23rd, '16, 15:48

Where can I find the general report for 2014 and 2015? Was it published already?

As far as I can tell, the 2013 and 2012 reports have been published on the wiki.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/General_report_2013
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/General_report_2012

The same URL does not work for 2014 and 2015.

Thanks.
R.L.
rloiseau

Re: General Report 2015, 2014

Postby jkerr82508 » Feb 23rd, '16, 20:14

Financial reports including details of transactions are available:
https://treasurer.mageia.org/y_2014.html
https://treasurer.mageia.org/y_2015.html

I am not aware of any other published reports for those years.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby rloiseau » Feb 23rd, '16, 21:36

Thanks. Do you know if there was a general assembly during those years?
rloiseau

Postby ennael » Feb 23rd, '16, 21:57

Hi

We are indeed late on that point (late is maybe not enough :) ). I will try to update all this in coming month.
Thanks for your patience
ennael

Postby ennael » Feb 23rd, '16, 22:13

rloiseau wrote:Thanks. Do you know if there was a general assembly during those years?

General assembly takes place every year during FOSDEM, en of january, in Bruxelles. This is a good opportunity to have a real meeting with real people. Then vote takes place remotely so that everyone can participate.
ennael

Postby finkel » Apr 18th, '16, 17:38

ennael wrote:Hi

We are indeed late on that point (late is maybe not enough :) ). I will try to update all this in coming month.
Thanks for your patience

We are in April now. Almost 2 months have passed. Has anything been done in that regard?
finkel

Postby finkel » Apr 19th, '16, 19:57

Ping.
finkel

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 19th, '16, 21:17

Do you assume it will be finished quicker if you bump this thread every day? Have a little patience ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby finkel » Apr 19th, '16, 22:21

You are asking us for a little patience, but it has been almost 3 months now. And I'm not even talking about the 2014 report which as far as I know has not been published either. I suspect this will be the same for the 2015 report, which will never be published.

This is a lack of respect for the people who are trying to follow the evolution of the project. If you have no plan to produce such report, whatever the reason, I suggest you set the record straight and stop promising something for the coming month when you have no intention to do it. To be perfectly clear, I'm not complaining about the lack of reports, I understand that writing reports is not a fun exercise for everybody. If you have no time or interest in producing such reports, fine by me, but please don't make promises you won't keep. Setting expectations is one of the basic fundamentals of management.
finkel

Postby xboxboy » Apr 20th, '16, 01:26

This is a lack of respect for the people who are trying to follow the evolution of the project. If you have no plan to produce such report, whatever the reason, I suggest you set the record straight and stop promising something for the coming month when you have no intention to do it. To be perfectly clear, I'm not complaining about the lack of reports, I understand that writing reports is not a fun exercise for everybody. If you have no time or interest in producing such reports, fine by me, but please don't make promises you won't keep. Setting expectations is one of the basic fundamentals of management.

Please check https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/contribute/

You're more than welcome to contribute. We are all volunteers who have regular lives outside Mageia. Hard to believe I know, but paying the bills and putting food on my family (see what i did there lol) rank higher than a volunteer project.

If you're worried about the 2016/17 reports, put in some contribution, we're on irc 24/7, most teams have regular irc meetings, the mailing lists are highly active, and you can work towards writing the reports :P
xboxboy

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 02:14

Nonsense. If I knew what should be in this report, I wouldn't be asking here when is it going to be published. I'm not involved in the management of the project, I have no legitimacy to write such report, I wasn't even there at the board meeting in Bruxelles, how would I know what was said in that room ?

Most. Useless. Answer. Ever.

Volunteer project, yeah ... I knew someone would say something of that sort, I knew it, and this is exactly why I added the clarification that I'm not complaining about the lack of reports. I knew it. What I didn't know was that someone would answer without bothering to read my message in its entirety. Meh...
finkel

Postby xboxboy » Apr 20th, '16, 02:46

finkel wrote:If I knew what should be in this report, I wouldn't be asking here when is it going to be published. I'm not involved in the management of the project, I have no legitimacy to write such report, I wasn't even there at the board meeting in Bruxelles...

Volunteer project, yeah ... I knew someone would say something of that sort, .... What I didn't know was that someone would answer without bothering to read my message in its entirety. Meh...

I did read your post in it's entirety. Just showing how easy it is to contribute. As for not being part of the management, now's your chance.

Money makes the world go round. If you can pay me more than my real job, I'll bang out the reports no questions asked..... That's how volunteer systems work... How bout you get some cash for the project to hire us a secretary??? There report done.

This isn't a commercial product, where having a sook will:
a: Get the staff motivated/fired
b: Make the stake holders take notice

If that's what you want, there's plenty of commercial offerings. And for what it's worth those distro's have their own major short comings. If ours is that the end of year report isn't formally published, I'm cool with that. Join the mailing list, read the irc logs. It's not that difficult.
xboxboy

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 03:32

What a shitload of fuck. I know how open source projects work. And I said it, but I repeat, I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE LACK OF REPORTS !!!!

Isn't that clear ? How should I say it ? Do you understand it with CAPSLOCK ?

Now would you please stop asking me to give money or all this nonsense ... I KNOW THIS IS A VOLUNTEER PROJECT, I'M NOT COMPLAINING !!!!

I'm just asking a simple question, which is, will there be a report published soon ? Yes or No. You can say yes, you can say no, either way, I'd understand. I AM JUST ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION, I AM NOT COMPLAINING, DON'T ANSWER ME TO CONTRIBUTE, DON'T TELL ME THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIAL PROJECT, I KNOW THAT ALREADY !

xboxboy, you don't have the answer to my question, this is pretty clear. Fine. When I don't know the answer to a question, I just shut the fuck up and let someone else answer, I don't ask to send money or to contribute, this is just nonsense. I will contribute if I want to, but not under pressure, if time permit. And time does not permit right now. Here I am just asking a very simple question. That's all, I have no interest in becoming manager of the project.

Sorry about the language and capslocks, but you're getting on my nerves repeating this nonsense.
finkel

Postby Latte » Apr 20th, '16, 09:37

finkel wrote:What a shitload of fuck. ...

Sorry about the language and capslocks, but you're getting on my nerves repeating this nonsense.

No, you're not complaining but getting rude - please stop it, because rudeness is going on my nerves...
Latte

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 12:32

Latte wrote:No, you're not complaining but getting rude - please stop it, because rudeness is going on my nerves...

That's very simple. Stop writing silly nonsense in this thread, and I'll stop answering it. Now your message is a perfect example of that, and as a consequence I regrettably have to answer with more rudeness to your rude message. Not a good way to stop it if you tell me...

Please, pretty please, can we just stop that ? If you don't know the answer to my question, then for fuck's sake, refrain from posting your silly comments. We sure all have better things to do than this unnecessary discussion.

Everything's clear. You don't know the answer to my question. Fine. Don't answer. Nothing to feel bad about, it's ok. Now please, don't tell me to send money, contribute or all this silly nonsense, this is simply rude and off-topic in this thread and is leading to this rude and unnecessary discussion that we're having now.
finkel

Postby isadora » Apr 20th, '16, 12:40

finkel wrote:...

Wow, some kind of introduction, i didn't see before.
But every a day new chances that is, isn't it?

Though i appreciate your contributions, i would very much like to see your emotions a bit tempered.
Thanks for your attention.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 13:26

isadora, are you trying to get this silly discussion going again ? What's the point of your message here ?

I already said I'm sorry about my language in that post you're quoting and explained my reasons, now let's move on please. Your insistence on this is only making things worse by reviving a pointless discussion, is that your goal here ?

Guys, I repeat, but if you don't have anything useful to say, then don't post, and I won't feel obliged to answer.

As I already said, I'm sorry if my language was harsh and a bit rude. I explained the reasons. Now let's move on, there's no point in discussing this forever.
finkel

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 13:37

I'd like to add too that the messages from xboxboy were pretty rude too. But surprisingly, nobody pointed that. Does it mean it is perfectly fine to be rude as long as you're part of the core group of forum participants ? Solidarity between long time forum users against new-comers ?

If my presence is not welcome here, you should get that point straight and I'll get my act together, leaving you together in your core group of forum users.
finkel

Postby jkerr82508 » Apr 20th, '16, 13:42

finkel wrote:

Thanks for your patience

We are in April now. Almost 2 months have passed. Has anything been done in that regard?

Obviously not - ennael has many other responsibilities in Mageia, in addition to having a young family to care for. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, Mageia contributors are not obliged to do anything. They contribute what and when they are able.

The General Assembly is a legal formality. It makes no decisions and has little impact on the evolution of Mageia.

If you are genuinely interested in the evolution of Mageia:
- Past developments can be seen in the extensive Release Notes published with each new release.
- Current developments can be read about in the minutes of Council meetings (Council is the decision making body) or in the devel ML where technical discussions take place.
- For information about future developments see the "proposed features" for future releases.

All of this information is freely available to everyone. If there is specific information that you want, then ask and if it is available we'll try to point you to it.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 14:14

jkerr82508 wrote:
finkel wrote:

Thanks for your patience

Obviously not - ennael has many other responsibilities in Mageia, in addition to having a young family to care for. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, Mageia contributors are not obliged to do anything. They contribute what and when they are able.

This is true, but again, I am not complaining. I am simply asking if there are plans to publish this report, no pressure. Reiterating the fact that I would be interested to read it if or when it is published.

The General Assembly is a legal formality. It makes no decisions and has little impact on the evolution of Mageia.

If you are genuinely interested in the evolution of Mageia:
- Past developments can be seen in the extensive Release Notes published with each new release.
- Current developments can be read about in the minutes of Council meetings (Council is the decision making body) or in the devel ML where technical discussions take place.
- For information about future developments see the "proposed features" for future releases.

All of this information is freely available to everyone. If there is specific information that you want, then ask and if it is available we'll try to point you to it.

I'd be interested in the figures, the evolution of social network followers, distrowatch rank, blog visits, number of mirrors, number of mailing list members, evolution of packagers team ... That is, all the figures we can find in the previous reports to get a gasp of the evolution of the project. The main facts for the year would be of much interest too. I know I could find many of those facts by reading the thousands emails in the mailing list archives, but I have no time for that, which is why I want to read a summary. If I'm expecting too much, just answer with a clear "no, there won't be more reports" and I'll stop asking. To be clear, again, I am not requesting that you publish it. I am informing you that I find this information useful, and asking whether there are plans to publish it again like was done in the first years of the project. I am asking a perfectly simple question and 'no' would be a perfectly valid answer. I am not putting pressure here. Now you don't need to tell me over and over that this is a volunteer project, I already know that, and this doesn't answer my question.
finkel

Postby maat » Apr 20th, '16, 15:48

finkel,

Other contributors may have watermarked the information you're chasing. So let me put it straigh and clear for you:

1) Do you intend to publish reports : YES

And just to answer the questions that may rise in the following heartbeat:

2) Can you provide a Time-To-Publish for the said reports : NO

Detailed explanation= As already said we need man power for some tasks of the project and writing reports are among them. With the volunteering time we have we prefer to focus on the quality of the packaging and the vitality of the community. The task to provide reports is there and well identified but it's got a lower priority than other tasks.
We're sorry for that. But given you have no time to gather data from the mailing lists i bet you will understand our difficulties on this point with kindness.

If you can spare time to help us that will be more than welcome. I understand that time is not something you can spare easily but the door is always open to good wills.

I hope this gives a clearer answer to your question.

And as a result I would like to see all the moods in this topic cool down gently and get back to listening and mutual respect :)

Thanks all for your understanding

(post edited / typos)
maat

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 15:56

maat wrote:finkel,

Other contributors may have watermarked the information you're chasing. So let me put it straigh and clear for you:

1) Do you intend to publish reports : YES

And just to answer the questions that may rise in the following heartbeat:

2) Can you provide a Time-To-Publish for the said reports : NO

That's good to know. Thanks for the detailed and clear answers. This is all that I was asking.

Detailed explanation= As already said we need man power for some tasks of the project and writing reports are among them. With the volunteering time we have we prefer to focus on the quality of the packaging and the vitality of the community. The task to provide reports is there and well identified but it's got a lower priority than other tasks.

It makes perfect sense. Keep up the good work !

If you can spare time to help us that will be more than welcome. I understand that time is not something you can not spare easily but the door is always open to good wills.

My time is quite limited right now, moving to a new house in a few weeks, but thanks for the offer, I'll consider it when things calm down on my side.
finkel

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 16:24

Someone pointed me to the post from xboxboy on the mailing list. This is blowing out of proportion. I did not think that following up on a question in this thread would turn me into public enemy number one.

I'd like to acknowledge the polite and precise answers from maat, this is refreshing. But I also see that Mageia is a close circle of core members where intruders are not welcome, to say the least. Fortunately, there is plenty other Linux Distributions to chose from, with the same technical merits. I wish you good luck in your endeavors, I will myself sail to a more welcoming place.

Finkel, the so-called forum troll
finkel

Postby eatdirt » Apr 20th, '16, 19:00

I agree with you than no promise should be made if one cannot hold them, which was your very first point. Just adding that post here to stress that your very sharp sense of critics, and logic, would make you a perfect asset for the QA-team for instance. Why not joining us? You've already gotten a nickname: "The Forum Troll"

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team_portal

Sharp critics, but without the insults, are much needed for ISO releases.

Cheers,
Eatdirt.
eatdirt

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 20:13

I appreciate the offer, but I have absolutely no intention of getting involved in such an unwelcoming community. Final decision. This is my last message on this forum, pardon me if I don't answer any subsequent message.
finkel

Next

Return to General discussions about Mageia