Mageia 6 Kernel & Release Date

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Mageia 6 Kernel & Release Date

Postby lotn2635599 » Nov 2nd, '15, 19:28

good day several years back i took a look at linux and out of the flavors out there i settled on mandrake/mandriva, and now with windows 10 i''m seriously looking to dump windows. i decided to take a look at various flavors of linux out currently and was very impressed with mageia, and even more impressed to find out that it's a fork off the original mandrake/mandriva. i currently have 5 in vm and am very impressed with it. that said is there any update on which kernel will be used for 6, and is there a tentative released date for 6 yet?thanks in advance for any information and help with this.
lotn2635599

Re: Mageia 6 Kernel & Release Date

Postby Germ » Nov 2nd, '15, 19:41

Mageia 6 is scheduled for release 2016/04/19

Not sure about the kernel.

Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby benmc » Nov 3rd, '15, 05:55

Hello lotn2635599 and welcome to Mageia
lotn2635599 wrote:update on which kernel will be used for 6

Currently Kernel 4.2.25 but it is updated regularly, more so than Mga5.

regards

Benmc
benmc

Postby lotn2635599 » Nov 11th, '15, 16:57

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
lotn2635599

Postby Germ » Nov 11th, '15, 17:36

You're welcome.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 9th, '15, 01:41

Please stop crossposting, that is disregarded. Asking once is sufficient.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 9th, '15, 01:48

You already got an answer in your thread (that is, after you posted the same question 5 different times): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10525
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fargo » Aug 11th, '16, 22:08

Not yet a Mageia user, but I always keep an eye on it. So with that, I have a question. Why was Mageia 6 delayed? I thought Mageia was on a 9 month release cycle. Has that changed? I can appreciate holding back a release to make sure everything is stable and ready if thats the case. I am just surprised to see the release so late. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I didn't see any mention of it in my quick search.
Fargo

Postby Palin » Sep 7th, '16, 08:24

Hi there, I've acquired a brand new XPS15 9550 model, and after doing the usual steps to dual boot it with Windows* I'm now waiting the release of a more stable version of Mageia 6 to install it. Sta1 works quite nicely in live mode but I'm waiting for a beta or rc-level iso release (and then switching away from cauldron when final arrives). I suppose sta1 is like beta1-quality but it's a bit old.

I was having a look on the Development timeline of mga6 on the wiki but I think it's a bit outdated. Any news on current status?

I could settle for mga5 and do the upgrade later but unfortunately the install kernel image is too old and lacks some drivers, the most important one is the nvme driver for the SSD.

* for those interested, I had to reinstall windows because the Dell image came preconfigured to support SSD caching of magnetic drives, even on devices with a single disk. This means “bios” is configured in RAID mode and windows won't boot in None or AHCI modes. Linux only sees the SSD in one of these two modes. Go figure. Standard disabling of Secure Boot and Fast Boot have been applied, and Windows root partition has been shrunk in Windows to avoid the disk checks. Usually I run windows natively only for the odd game, but who knows?
Palin

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 7th, '16, 19:29

Palin wrote:I was having a look on the Development timeline of mga6 on the wiki but I think it's a bit outdated. Any news on current status?

Well, it's done when it's done.

If you want a current status you could look that up on the qa-discuss mailing list: https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.f ... qa-discuss or on the dev mailing list: https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi/arc/dev
----
doktor5000

Postby Palin » Sep 8th, '16, 08:02

doktor5000 wrote:
If you want a current status you could look that up on the qa-discuss mailing list: https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.f ... qa-discuss or on the dev mailing list: https://ml.mageia.org/wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi/arc/dev

Thank you very much, those were the pointers I missed.
So I can wait for a new “beta” or RC1 or wait for 5.1 (probably more close to what I need right now).
Palin

Postby pnbalaji » Sep 15th, '16, 19:27

Hi,

Is Mageia 6 is going to be released on September 19, 2016 as per the plan? I was using Mageia 5 XFCE for more than 2 years and I was very impressed with it. Since my HDD is crashed, I am using Manjaro 16.06 XFCE now. Once mageia 6 is out, I will be switching back immediately.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby pnbalaji » Sep 15th, '16, 19:32

Also, is it possible to include the patched driver for Realtek RTL8192cu wireless card in the mageia 6? The issue and the resolution is in the below forum thread. Even if it is not included in Mageia 6, it is not a big deal as I can build the patched driver with dkms myself.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9956

Thanks,
Balaji.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 16th, '16, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
pnbalaji

Postby Palin » Sep 15th, '16, 21:16

pnbalaji wrote:Hi,

Is Mageia 6 is going to be released on September 19, 2016 as per the plan? I was using Mageia 5 XFCE for more than 2 years and I was very impressed with it. Since my HDD is crashed, I am using Manjaro 16.06 XFCE now. Once mageia 6 is out, I will be switching back immediately.

Thanks,
Balaji.

I'm following the devs and qa mailing list, probably soon they will release a statement and chances are that the next release will be an upgraded Mageia 5.1 ISO until release-stopping issues on the 6 release are resolved.

I'm quite in the same position as you but with the added twist that I'm not able to install from vanilla 5 ISO because the kernel included does not support my nvme SSD drive. I was waiting because 6-sta1 ISO works but is quite old too.
Palin

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 16th, '16, 18:59

pnbalaji wrote:Also, is it possible to include the patched driver for Realtek RTL8192cu wireless card in the mageia 6? The issue and the resolution is in the below forum thread. Even if it is not included in Mageia 6, it is not a big deal as I can build the patched driver with dkms myself.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9956

If you did not open a bugreport for that and if it's not included until now, it probably much too late in the release process to get this added.
----
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Sep 17th, '16, 04:16

I don't remember creating a bug report for this. Infact, this is not a bug with Mageia, but rather with the rtl8192cu chipset driver. It is kind of a feature request to include the patched driver with the new release.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '16, 11:21

pnbalaji wrote: It is kind of a feature request to include the patched driver with the new release.

Which is still done via a bugreport, either you do it or you don't.
----
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Sep 17th, '16, 15:24

Filed a bug report now.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19396

Thanks,
Balaji.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 17th, '16, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '16, 15:45

Please keep in mind, code tags are not for links, but for log excerpts or longer outputs, thanks in advance.
----
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Sep 17th, '16, 15:47

Sure, I will remember from next time onwards. I just wanted to show the URL differently.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby pnbalaji » Mar 8th, '17, 00:05

Hi,

I see that this bug report for the WiFi driver Realtek RTL8192cu is not addressed yet.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19396. Is it possible to add it Mageia 6 before it is out?

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Return to General discussions about Mageia