iso release dates needed on dl page

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

iso release dates needed on dl page

Postby xorbe » Aug 29th, '11, 22:58

So I ditched Mandriva and tried Kubuntu, but I'm not liking it, so here I am to try Mageia.

However, when I go to the downloads page, I am unable to find any sort of release date anywhere, so I have no idea how recent or old of a release I would be downloading.

After digging through a few pages with web search, looks like an announcement went out June 1st, 2011. Perhaps this bit of information would be at home on the iso download page?
xorbe

Re: iso release dates needed on dl page

Postby Max » Aug 29th, '11, 23:19

So far there is only one stable release, and that's what you can find on the downloads page.
It says on top "Download Mageia 1", that's the stable release.
Why would we need dates?

Also, welcome to Mageia. Come for the great OS, stay for the excellent community :D
Max

Postby xorbe » Aug 30th, '11, 00:26

Max wrote:Why would we need dates?

I would think that generally users like to know the age of the Linux ISO which they are downloading, or if there is something newer. Perhaps a release history page would make it more clear that there is only one release to date.

What I mean is, when I landed on the DL page and only saw one release and no date, I figured the Mageia fork was fizzled out or something, since the top of the page talks about 2010 releases from Mandriva. Luckily I searched around.

I hope you're not in the PR/advertising dept, lol.
xorbe

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 30th, '11, 01:39

Interesting suggestion. Maybe currently would be better to add: First Stable Release, released June 1, 2011.
Also a release status page is a good idea, as this information is obviously not easily available from main page.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Max » Aug 30th, '11, 09:39

xorbe wrote:I hope you're not in the PR/advertising dept, lol.

No, I just make pretty pictures. :mrgreen:

The people you want to talk to about this are either the web admin team or the marcom team. I know that many of them don't read the forums, so you might want to post to the mailing lists.
Max

Return to General discussions about Mageia