The best KDE experience so far!

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

The best KDE experience so far!

Postby georgi » Sep 2nd, '15, 23:31

The last time when I tried Mageia I installed version 3 and then upgraded to 4.1. It wasn't a real joy to do this but in the end everything was working so... The time passed, I returned to Debian while waiting for Mageia 5 and now finally I decided to try it and tweak every bit of it. :geek:

I used the Live KDE DVD, accepted the defaults, erased my disk, installed the system, rebooted and created my user (my system is very old so no EFI, UEFI rubbish) and I was ready to go. I expected my CPU to go up and to see laggy behaviour but nope. Once again Mageia proved to be the best KDE distro and I don't know how you made it guys but it works awesome on 8 years old PC! Unlike my Mageia 3 experience - this time I was happy with the install process and the system seems to be stable and very responsive. My only disappointment again is the lack of host name creation in the installer and the manual sudoers file editing (the user should be already added there). This are very minor things but they are worth to be mentioned. ;)

A picture is worth a thousand words:

So what can I say? Thank you, Mageia Team, for making me a happy KDE user and loyal Mageia supporter again!
georgi

Re: The best KDE experience so far!

Postby xboxboy » Sep 3rd, '15, 02:17

Welcome back. Mageia 5 for me, is also awesome.

Regarding the hostname creation, I'm sure the dev's have their reasons why that's not in the installer. I assume for most general desktop users, it doesn't effect them at all.

As for sudo, I personally HATE the sudo system. If something needs to be done as root, I'll su to root, but otherwise I always remain a normal user. Giving sudo access to beginners is a recipe for disaster IMHO, but most tutorials you see around the place are now deb/ubuntu based and rely on sudo.... So, I'm out on my own on this point of view it seems :)
xboxboy

Postby benmc » Sep 3rd, '15, 06:48

Welcome back Georgi,
I agree Mageia5 KDE is pretty solid.

xboxboy wrote:Giving sudo access to beginners is a recipe for disaster IMHO

I'm with you on this point.
FMPOV sudo is marginally better than how some/most Windows(TM) users operate, [admin all the time so that UAC is turned off].

Needing to be root via su - is no great hardship, and you know that as root you can bork the system if you are not careful.
or "run command": kdesu insert programme name here, is another useful one.
benmc

Postby xboxboy » Sep 3rd, '15, 09:19

benmc wrote:Welcome back Georgi,
I agree Mageia5 KDE is pretty solid.

xboxboy wrote:Giving sudo access to beginners is a recipe for disaster IMHO

I'm with you on this point.
FMPOV sudo is marginally better than how some/most Windows(TM) users operate, [admin all the time so that UAC is turned off].

Needing to be root via su - is no great hardship, and you know that as root you can bork the system if you are not careful.
or "run command": kdesu insert programme name here, is another useful one.

Even with logging in as SU, I still install colorprompt as a matter of course on every install. "kdesu kwrite" gets a fair work out on my machines :)
xboxboy

Postby georgi » Sep 3rd, '15, 10:16

I wonder about one thing: I'm using the default Grub 0.97, what will be the benefits of using for example Grub 2? I never really pay too much attention to this step because the default option was Grub Legacy. On other distros I used to use Grub 2 but at a first glance I can't see any difference.
georgi

Postby benmc » Sep 3rd, '15, 11:01

For Mageia Grub2 is required for UEFI implementation.
If you are not running UEFI the choice is yours.
For many years I used Grub legacy solely, but have recently moved to a UEFI implementation, so have had to move to Grub2.
In use, there appears to me to be very little difference.
Both boot to the latest installed kernel without any user input, and both allow booting to prior kernels by user action.

the question is probably best answered more fully by opening a new thread.
benmc

Postby georgi » Sep 3rd, '15, 12:15

benmc wrote:For Mageia Grub2 is required for UEFI implementation.
If you are not running UEFI the choice is yours.
For many years I used Grub legacy solely, but have recently moved to a UEFI implementation, so have had to move to Grub2.
In use, there appears to me to be very little difference.
Both boot to the latest installed kernel without any user input, and both allow booting to prior kernels by user action.

the question is probably best answered more fully by opening a new thread.

That was more than enough, thank you. :)
georgi

Return to General discussions about Mageia