Do you use Mageia for server/router-firewall?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Do you use Mageia for server/router-firewall?

Postby Phlox » Oct 20th, '21, 17:35

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you are using Mageia on a stand alone pc as an internet connected server or as a router firewall?

Is Mageia good for this or do you use other distributions for that?
“Without freedom of choice there is no creativity.” — Captain Kirk
Phlox

Re: Do you use Mageia for server/router-firewall?

Postby morgano » Oct 20th, '21, 19:18

As always: you need to know what you are doing.
What you need to set up and how to do that with a tool you know.
If you find what you need packaged, (and possibly fix the rest yourself) i think you are good to go.
I did have an Owncloud server a few years ago, open to internet though a standard router, but mostly to see if i could - Not my cup of tea.
From being in QA i see we tend to be pretty quick on fixing security updates.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby filip » Oct 21st, '21, 21:16

All mageia.org infrastructure runs on Mageia. That tells a lot about suitability on server area.

Many of us use it for servers, development, or pc platform.

I think that one of Mageia's biggest strenghts is it's adaptability.
filip

Postby xboxboy » Oct 23rd, '21, 03:08

I had my small business server (Mageia of course) have FTP open to the net, with my hosted website being zipped and backed up to my server via FTP.
It worked fine.

I checked the logs and seen the number of access attempts and shut down the FTP ports.
NOTE: Not because I don't trust Mageia, but because I don't trust MYSELF!!!
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » Nov 13th, '21, 23:19

I use my mageia system as both a server and a router. Primarily it is a development system. My firewall is one I wrote myself, and it is very tight. I periodically have to reconfigure it for one purpose or another; I don't use it to protect a LAN or anything, it just protects the system.

I use the system as a router usually because I want to look at and sometimes modify traffic out of devices I am developing that are on one of the LANs that I maintain on this router. Reconfigurations are fairly frequent to accommodate my needs.

I have a lot of canned scripts to configure it how I want it to be today.

Presently, the workstation has multiple upstream gateways and I am using policy based routing to send traffic from particular downstream LANs (on which I am developing) out particular gateways.

My major complaint with Mageia in this type of usage is that the standard desktop setup is far too automatic. After an upgrade, I always have to turn things off (particularly all the automated networking) so that I can control the configuration - and often enough figuring out how to do that takes awhile. Against that, the system tends to be very stable, it plays nicely with my multiple virtual machines and virtual networks, and I don't have problems with it day-to-day in browsing or my normal usage.
jiml8

Postby zxr250cc » Sep 26th, '22, 20:46

Hi all,

When running Mandrake and the split to Mageia started I was running a network out of my house for my business needs for several years with Mageia. I switched to Mageia and it worked great. I used Windows on one system to replicate computers I had installed in a network cafe overseas and Mageia on another for my needs and used an intel cat 5 network 10/100 and then a 3Com switch. Worked great and was reliable. My experience with Linux over the years has almost always been positive. In the very beginnings when it was hard to manually set everything up for an install (x servers anyone?) it was not so fun. Now I expect any distro with good support to be almost an automatic set up and run with Live or install sources.

This is being done from a Carbon X1 with a live USB source.

YMMV

Cheers
'We live in the best of all possible worlds!'
Candide (Voltaire)
zxr250cc

Return to General discussions about Mageia