Do you plan selling genuine DVD media?

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 16:02

I know I won't buy Linux, just the original beautiful install media with some manual maybe with some expert support.
But sometimes I want to have an original physical copy...
Like in 2010 I could buy at Mandriva
DSC_0150.JPG
My Mandriva Powerpack 2010
DSC_0150.JPG (97.8 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
tis

Re: Do you plan selling genuine DVD media?

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 18th, '21, 16:40

As you can read at https://www.mageia.org/en-gb/support/
Professional Support
Mageia.Org does not provide or endorse commercial/professional support or other services around the distribution. But there are organisations providing such services and more.

Please check the commercial vendors list https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Commercial_vendors
sturmvogel

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 18:36

Covers are usually made available freely so you can print your own CD/DVD if you really want that: https://www.mageia.org/about/media/
Otherwise there are quite a few sites that sell CD/DVDs for a small fee, you may want to order there.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 20:07

Ty guys,

I could do if I would like write a legal copy of this Linux, and I can print any media for it, but this is just a copy I've made to a writeable DVD, not the same.

Then I'll create bootable pendrive for mga8... Ty
tis

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 20:45

How do you define "legal copy" and how do you think is your copy different then one that would be commissioned by someone else in the community ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 20:58

Not there the difference...

Maybe you could understand better if I choose different product.
e.g. Before I restarted using Linuxes, I played some games and also bought them. Now I can buy them on internet as a downloadable version or just playable if I logged in. But that is not same when You got in a box with manuals, factory made CD's, factory printed documents...
Another feeling get and touch, so not the code is different....
tis

Postby tis » Jan 18th, '21, 21:39

and aaahh,
I think I understand what did you think.

It is an original Mandriva PWP I've ordered from Mandriva, nothing modified, It is as they made and it is not written by me.
Why I said my? because I've paid for it so this is my property... And before you think again, not the code is my property, only the install media, and as licence specified I can use it, modify it, ....
tis

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '21, 23:42

Well, Mageia does not produce CD/DVD media or printed documentation for sale, mostly because we are a nonprofit organisation. Have a look at https://www.mageia.org/about/constitution/
The only difference is for events where Mageia attends and/or has a booth, there are usually a bunch of goodies like CD/DVD or stickers that are being given away for free.
There were ideas a few years back to create USB drives with Mageia on it for a small fee like 5 or 10€ to cover the costs for those, but I don't know how that turned out.

So if you want an actual CD/DVD including documentation, you can either reach out to some of those sites (e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Commercial_v ... re_vendors ) that offer linux CD/DVDs for a very small fee,
or you can burn a CD/DVD and print the documentation yourself, which is freely available. Or create your own business creating and selling such CD/DVDs including documentation, if you think that there's a market for that.
----
doktor5000

Postby liao » Sep 24th, '21, 12:09

Is it possible to make a version of Mageia easy to download from internet and copied into the DVD for easy direct installation without need to make any changes ?
liao

Postby liao » Sep 24th, '21, 12:46

Is it possible to provide to design a Mageia Lite version to be like Google App to be compatible with laptop or tablet. Then let developer try to create/design App for Mageia Lite to increase the users of Mageia. Then this Mageia version can be designed to be very user friendly and become popular alternatives.
liao

Postby morgano » Sep 24th, '21, 15:01

liao wrote:Is it possible to make a version of Mageia easy to download from internet and copied into the DVD for easy direct installation without need to make any changes ?

Yes, our Live ISOs are like that: put on DVD or USB, boot, try out which version you like, use.
For good and bad, there is a preset selection of applications and settings.
Once booted there is an installer that kind of copies it to computer without much questions.

liao wrote:Is it possible to provide to design a Mageia Lite version to be like Google App to be compatible with laptop or tablet. Then let developer try to create/design App for Mageia Lite to increase the users of Mageia. Then this Mageia version can be designed to be very user friendly and become popular alternatives.

I dont understand your references to Google. Anyone is welcome to help on Mageia. There will be many different opinions on what the goal is and how to achieve it. It will also take a lot of work to try out on myriads of hardware. Tools exist already, so go ahead.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Building_the_Live_ISOs
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Draklive2
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby liao » Sep 29th, '21, 03:56

In your Mageia site, there are 2 or 3 versions to donwload. Why create so many type of Mageia ? I do not know what is which is suitable to download.

Can you just create one type of Mageia and easy to download directly into DVD and can be install directly into any PC or laptop without need add this or add that ?
liao

Postby liao » Sep 29th, '21, 04:03

If you try to create Mageia with similar functionality like Google OS Android for smartphone, you will get many many developers create applications (App) for Magiea. Then Mageia can be further improved and become more popular because there will be many many App in Mageia similar to smartphone App.
The key as the Mageia OS should have the same capabilities like smartphone Google OS ie Android.
So just make Mageia the OS for PC or laptop, same as Android the OS for smartphone.
liao

Postby sturmvogel » Sep 29th, '21, 09:21

liao wrote: I do not know what is which is suitable to download.

Well, this is all described on the download page. Only click on the question marks:
Well description.png
Well description.png (101.04 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

liao wrote:similar functionality like Google OS Android for smartphone

A desktop OS has completely other functionality and requirements as a smartphone OS. So this will nearly never happen.
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Sep 29th, '21, 10:04

Why different ISO downloads:
1) 32 bit PC cant run 64 bit system. If you have a 64 bit CPU you most probably want 64 bit system. (that said, most 32 bit program can run on 64 bit Mageia)
2) Apart from the big 32 and 64 bit install medias, if you only want a small initial download you can use the netinstaller, which install from internet or a local repo.
3) We also provide Live systems users can try out Mageia on their hardware without installing first. Mageia support many desktop systems https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Desktop_environments and we can not provide Live versions of all so we provide the popular Gnome and Plasma, as well as Xfce suitable for less powerful hardware. The Live system also make nice backup system, repair tool, etc. They can have persistent storage for updates more programs, user files, and are tools to spin your own version.

In short we provide solutions for different needs, as one absolutely can not fit all. Some even want more versions.

Apps are not made for Mageia (except our drak tools, some building tools etc)
Programs are packaged and we have quite many. We can also run Flatpak and Appimage packaged programs, and there are even more ways, see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Ways_to_install_programs

BTW, There are several terrible aspects of Google Android and Play - i have changed my FairPhone to https://e.foundation/ and my spare phone to Jolla Sailfish.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby liao » Oct 1st, '21, 09:29

What you have described about Mageia capabilities is too high level for any non Linux to understand but a very good explanation.

Me thinks all operating system have their own weakness , advantage and disadvantage.

[[ Android is an open-source platform that designed for different devices, especially tablets, Smartphone, and watches. It is based on the modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software. ]]

https://www.javatpoint.com/android-vs-windows-os

[[ Linux is an open source operating system whereas Windows OS is commercial. Linux has access to source code and alters the code as per user need whereas Windows does not have access to the source code.
In Linux, the user has access to the source code of the kernel and alter the code according to his need. It has its own advantages. Bugs in the OS will get fixed at a rapid pace. ]]

https://www.edureka.co/blog/linux-vs-windows/

[[ As Linux is community-driven with regular monitoring by the developers from every corner of the earth, any new problem raised can be solved within a few hours and the necessary patch can be ready for supply. ]]

There are no such thing as a 100% secure operating system that is so perfect that your data is 100% secure.
Windows, Linux, Android etc. operating system all have their own terrible aspect and nobody have ever create a perfect operating system. It is totally impossible to design an operating system that is 100% secure, perfect, without flaws and have the most superior features.

You already have an old Mageia 4.0 or 5.0 that can run on 32 bit PC system. Therefore it is not necessary to have the latest Mageia that run on 32 bit system. Just upgrade Mageia ru on 64 bit is just enough.

Mageia is also based on Linux kernel. Therefore it is possible to design Mageia to function like Android OS with their application software App, but Mageia App will be for personal computers and laptops. Why you cannot design Mageia operating system like this way ? Is it too much work and need a lot of manpower ? If Mageia is open source and many developers who can access Mageia source code and create all kind of App that make Mageia interesting.
Do you need a lot of manpower to maintain Mageia App system ?

With Mageia App, you do not need to spend time thinking how to provide any software solutions at all. Just let the developer create the Mageia App to solve all software problems and create interesting App.
liao

Postby morgano » Oct 1st, '21, 11:39

You are barking at the wrong tree.

Some people like to design homes, some buy finished ones.

You want to not make choices, but Mageia is designed to give you much choices. And yes to make choice you need to learn about the alternatives.

You want another kind of distribution than the ones choosing Mageia.

A distribution is not making "Apps", we package programs and makes sure they are easy to install, and we also provide ways to run programs not packaged.

And why would any developer want to design an "App" specifically for only one linux distribution? Waste of time.
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '21, 16:09

liao wrote:Just let the developer create the Mageia App to solve all software problems and create interesting App.

As with any other software project out there. And as there are endless numbers of developers, who are doing this for free, this is probably not an issue at all :roll:

Apart from that, you don't seem to understand the difference between an operating system, a software project and an app.
----
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia