Latest Updates To Mageia 6

This forum is for general chat between members about Mageia.

Technical questions are supposed to be posted in support forums. Not here !

Latest Updates To Mageia 6

Postby phillipchandler » May 21st, '18, 19:36

Hello

Im interested in downloading and installing ver 6, but after reading that there is 1300 + updates Im kind of put off. I have limited broadband.

Is it possible for Mageia to produce an ISO ver 6.x which includes all the 1300 updates ?

Thanks
Phillip
phillipchandler

Re: Latest Updates To Mageia 6

Postby morgano » May 22nd, '18, 14:08

Welcome Philip.

That is the plan, install isos with all updates included.
It will be dubbed 6.1
My personal wild guess is it will be available in about one month.

Another take on it is to avoid downloading a large iso at all, instead use the small netinstall iso, and make a minimal installation (maybe use a small DE instead of Gnome/plasma). The installer then only downloads the new versions directly (never download old packages), and when installed and booted you install the big packages.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby gregM » Jun 7th, '18, 10:43

Due to a failing hard drive, and recently had the mega update, I would like to get a 6.1 installer ISO to.

Is there any word on how this task is progressing ?

Thanks
Greg
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 9th, '18, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
gregM

Postby filip » Jun 9th, '18, 15:16

phillipchandler wrote:Im interested in downloading and installing ver 6, but after reading that there is 1300 + updates Im kind of put off.

gregM wrote:Due to a failing hard drive, and recently had the mega update, I would like to get a 6.1 installer ISO to.

Is there any word on how this task is progressing ?

Majority of updates goes to KDE stack as it was updated so if you don't use it as DE and don't use KDE tools the number should be significantly lower.
First priority is now tray upgrade and then mga6.1 ISO.

Note that in order to minimize download you can always use Wired Network-based Installation CD. Regarding download quota you can hardly get lower with any procedure of install/reinstall/upgrade.
filip

Postby gregM » Jun 10th, '18, 01:43

Thanks for the advice ...
I do use KDE, will look to the Wired Network install method if 6.1 is not available, when my new disk arrives.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 10th, '18, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
gregM

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 10th, '18, 15:34

Please next time do not use fullquotes, but only use the Reply function. Greatly improves clarity and reading flow.
The Quote-button is not meant for replies.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby phillipchandler » Sep 1st, '18, 00:43

Hi Everyone.
Is there an update on when 6.1 would be released ?
Thanks
Phillip
phillipchandler

Postby benmc » Sep 6th, '18, 02:56

phillipchandler wrote:Is there an update on when 6.1 would be released ?

I understand that the 6.1 .isos are currently undergoing QA testing (Lives and Classical .isos).
When QA deem them suitable for release, there will be an announcement, likely on the blog.

regards
benmc

Postby phillipchandler » Oct 5th, '18, 13:26

Just to be annoying. Any update on Mageia 6.1 ?
I appreciate that Mageia wants to produce a fantastic and well polished distro. I'm also trying to not be totally annoying in that you probably have a small team of devs, unlike other distros.

If Mageia contiues then there would/could be two possibilities, 1 It never makes it as a mainstream distro like Ubuntu or Manjaro as it never gets the extra devs it needs........ 2 Devs wont come over to the Mageia side as it doesnt seem to be moving very fast.

I personally want to see Mageia make it big time and be up the top of distrowatch list, in the number two slot right under Manjaro. Id love to see devs flocking over to your camp, hell Id even sign up and help write user guides, and go out showing off Mageia.
But could we get more posts about whats going on and have the wiki more user friendly. I really dont want to offend / upset people and hope that you dont get offended, but with the lack of info it seems that youre dragging your heels, the time scale for releases seems tooooo long. This is where a dev politely informs me of the real reasons why it takes a long time.

Thanks
Phillip
phillipchandler

Postby morgano » Oct 5th, '18, 16:28

They are decided to be officially released, i think we just wait for mirrors to sync the isos, then official announcement.
You can torrent it already: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mageia/iso/6.1/torrents/ , we are an increasing number prepared to seed.

phillipchandler wrote:Id love to see devs flocking over to your camp, hell Id even sign up and help write user guides, and go out showing off Mageia.
But could we get more posts about whats going on and have the wiki more user friendly.

Great, just come abord and help :) We are a lot of people giving a little bit time now and then.
Last edited by morgano on Oct 5th, '18, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 5th, '18, 16:32

phillipchandler wrote:I personally want to see Mageia make it big time and be up the top of distrowatch list, in the number two slot right under Manjaro. Id love to see devs flocking over to your camp, hell Id even sign up and help write user guides, and go out showing off Mageia.

Then feel free to read the mailing lists, where current status and progress of 6.1 is discussed, among other things.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mailing_lists

I also don't understand frequently asking about 6.1. If you have Mageia 6 installed and do all your updates then you already have 6.1.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Oct 5th, '18, 16:40

@doctor: OP is interested in installing fresh and wants to minimise download amount.
morgano

Postby phillipchandler » Oct 5th, '18, 18:29

doktor5000 wrote:I also don't understand frequently asking about 6.1. If you have Mageia 6 installed and do all your updates then you already have 6.1.

I dont actually have 6 installed. Im currently running win 10 / manjaro plasma dual boots on two machines, laptop and desktop. Im looking at installing mageia on my laptop instead of manjaro.
If you had read my original post, even read it correctly, I stated I wanted to install ver 6 but heard there was over 1300 updates. I dont have the luxury of having super duper, fibre broadband that makes super man look old and slow.
Mageia should be posting regulary updates on its own website, not making it difficult to get a very simple piece of information, and also making it a lot easier to find stuff. If you can have details about ver 6 in visitors faces then a line saying ver 6.1 being released xyz shouldnt be difficult.

Respect to morgano for posting the news that torrents are available and that they are waiting for servers to sync for the isos. If its even better and more polished than previous releases, then Im going to be one happy bunny and celebrating christmas early.
phillipchandler

Postby morgano » Oct 6th, '18, 22:16

doktor5000 is always very active and very knowledgeable. He answers and solves a *lot* of problems and naturally can miss some info as he races to help many users.

If you later run Mageia on more than one computer and need to minimise the downloads amount and time, i suggest to consider setting up urpmi-proxy on one machine. It will cache all packages downloaded to one machine, and the next machine you update will get the packages from there, quickly and without bandwidth use. See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Urpmi-proxy.

Another way to use few megabytes for istalling is to only download the small netinstall iso. It will then only pull the packages that are becoming installed from the internet so you do not need large gigabytes iso. If you have urpmi-proxy running on one machine you point the installer to that one of course and the install is more reliable and quicker.
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 10th, '18, 19:16

----
doktor5000

Return to General discussions about Mageia