[MAQeia] Flashplayer Plugin (32 & 64-bits)

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

Re: [MAQeia] Flashplayer Plugin (32 & 64-bits)

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 7th, '12, 20:13

Just think about who needs to do the work in either case. In most cases upstream developers will not know the exact details of distro integration downstream, and if you want them to fix such problems, mostly such bug report will not go anywhere. But send them a patch which they can look at and some context information to help them understand what you want to achieve, and mostly they will gladly integrate it in a timely manner.

The same also applies for any small change in any open source project, if you send a patch in most cases this will seriously speed up the process of getting such things fixed instead of "just" reporting.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Apr 8th, '12, 05:51

doktor5000 wrote:Just think about who needs to do the work in either case. In most cases upstream developers will not know the exact details of distro integration downstream,

Yes, sure. But this is not a bug caused by distro integration. It is a bug you will find in chromium no matter whether it is integrated downstream or installed from upstream directly. Surely I don't mind if somebody at mageia has the time to fix it and help upstream.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '12, 10:01

IMHO, if you wait on somebody else to fix it and report it upstream, in most cases this just won't happen. You should at least report it in our bugzilla.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Apr 8th, '12, 11:51

OK, but IMHO for a Mageia user the proper usage in Mageia is to install flash plugin via rpmdrake or urpmi which works nicely. So, strictly speaking from a Mageia POV there is no bug. I did not mention it as a bug when I mentioned it. I don't report a bug which IMHO is no bug.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby alexbarnes » May 11th, '12, 11:15

I am also encountering challenges installing the Flash Player Plugin on 64-bit Mandriva 1.

Code: Select all
[root@localhost kernel]# urpmi firefox
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
   Package                        Version      Release       Arch   
(medium "Core Release (distrib1)")
  indexhtml                      1            6.mga1        noarch 
  mailcap                        2.0.4        25.mga1       noarch 
  nspluginwrapper                1.3.0        7.mga1        x86_64  (suggested)
  nspluginwrapper-i386           1.3.0        7.mga1        x86_64  (suggested)
(medium "Core Updates (distrib3)")
  firefox                        10.0.4       1.mga1        x86_64 
40MB of additional disk space will be used.
14MB of packages will be retrieved.
Proceed with the installation of the 5 packages? (Y/n) y

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/nspluginwrapper-i386-1.3.0-7.mga1.x86_64.rpm
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/nspluginwrapper-1.3.0-7.mga1.x86_64.rpm   
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/indexhtml-1-6.mga1.noarch.rpm             
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/mailcap-2.0.4-25.mga1.noarch.rpm           
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/updates/firefox-10.0.4-1.mga1.x86_64.rpm           
installing firefox-10.0.4-1.mga1.x86_64.rpm nspluginwrapper-i386-1.3.0-7.mga1.x86_64.rpm nspluginwrapper-1.3.0-7.mga1.x86_64.rpm mailcap-2.0.4-25.mga1.noarch.rpm indexhtml-1-6.mga1.noarch.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     #############################################
      1/5: indexhtml             #############################################
      2/5: mailcap               #############################################
      3/5: nspluginwrapper-i386  #############################################
      4/5: nspluginwrapper       #############################################
Auto-install plugins from /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/skypebuttons.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Auto-install plugins from /root/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /root/.mozilla/plugins
      5/5: firefox               #############################################
[root@localhost kernel]# urpmi flash-player-plugin

$MIRRORLIST: media/nonfree/updates/flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.235-1.mga1.nonfree.x86_64.rpm
installing flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.235-1.mga1.nonfree.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     #############################################
Note that by downloading the Adobe Flash Player you indicate your acceptance of
the EULA, available at http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players/flash/
Downloading from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.235/flash-plugin-11.2.202.235-release.x86_64.rpm:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 7037k  100 7037k    0     0   921k      0  0:00:07  0:00:07 --:--:-- 1110k
      1/1: flash-player-plugin   #############################################
Adobe Flash Player installation successful.
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

about:plugins in Firfeox shows libflashplayer.so version Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 to be installed. However, going to YouTube and attempting to play a video causes the "loading" spinner to spin forever, and the video is never played.

The "no appropriate viewer found" message makes me suspect that something is not quite right.

What should I be looking for in order to fix this problem?
alexbarnes

Postby wilcal » May 11th, '12, 17:35

I've just gone through a little exercise with the
Adobe Flash plugin. We all continue to experience
questionable performance from this thing. My test
consisted of various sites and functions, what
worked and what didn't. In a nutshell even Adobe
admits things may or may not work depending on
the version of the libflashplayer.so used and
where it's put into your system.

So Adobe admitting that this thing is a mess has
made an archive of older versions at:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... sions.html

So I merrily downloaded the whole thing, extracted
the libflashplayer.so from all the versions, then
one by one plugged them into:

/home/wilcal/.mozilla/plugins

It's amazing. Things that don't work with the
latest version of Flash magically start working
again with older versions. Throw in the 32-bit
64-bit thing and it's a mess.

I can't wait for this thing to go away, please.
"DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
is my friend
wilcal

Postby doktor5000 » May 13th, '12, 19:15

alexbarnes wrote:The "no appropriate viewer found" message makes me suspect that something is not quite right.

That is totally irelevant, it comes from nspluginwrapper, which you may want to remove. If you want to know about this, have a look at https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3022
Do you have any other flash-related plugins installed? What does about:plugins show? Please paste this here ...

FWIW, i'e got flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.235-1.mga1.nonfree installed on an x86_64 system and it works perfectly ...
----
doktor5000

Postby the_loko » Jun 21st, '12, 19:28

There is a bug in Flashplayer when used alongside Nvidia drivers, at least in 64bit arch: Some videos in Youtube appear with blue colours.
For solve that, right click on the Video > Settings > and Untick "Enable hardware acceleration", then reload the page.
the_loko

Postby alexbarnes » Jun 21st, '12, 19:50

This issue was overtaken by events-- I upgraded to Mageia 2 and everything works fine now.
alexbarnes

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 21st, '12, 21:03

No, this still happens with Mageia 2 under the above mentioned conditions.
Was already discussed in viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2173
The linked mailing list thread offers some solutions, disabling hardware acceleration is the one which is easiest to do,
but not the most appropriate, as many HD videos will stutter or consume considerable amounts of cpu time.
----
doktor5000

Postby the_loko » Jun 21st, '12, 21:34

doktor5000 wrote:No, this still happens with Mageia 2 under the above mentioned conditions.
Was already discussed in viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2173
The linked mailing list thread offers some solutions, disabling hardware acceleration is the one which is easiest to do,
but not the most appropriate, as many HD videos will stutter or consume considerable amounts of cpu time.

Thanks, here is the solution: https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/mageia-d ... 13746.html
the_loko

Postby realclive » Jul 26th, '12, 18:18

I've come here from another thread and found a load of users having the same trouble - I'm amazed that flash should be so difficult to get working. I've spent hours on this with no success, I've followed several approaches, downloaded straight from Adobe and also loaded via the nonfree repos. Firefox is reporting that the plugin is there. When I check the setup on the Adobe web site.. I don't even get the box that is meant to contain an error message! so I don't even know if there's a real error.
I want to watch TVcatchup and cant with this distro.
Surely this should be an easy setup.
realclive

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 26th, '12, 18:41

As you miss all the relevant information (browser version, plugin version, about:plugins content and everything else related to troubleshooting which is described in the original post here) and as you don't give any details what you tried already exactly, i can't really help you further.

For a default Mageia installation, normally you just install flash-player-plugin, and then you're done with it, and Flash works. I don't know why this poses so big problems ...
----
doktor5000

Postby realclive » Jul 26th, '12, 23:33

Well I dont know why this poses a big problem either - OK so relevant info, evo 410c laptop + latest mageia 2 release, latest non free repos, firefox that came with the release, latest adobe plugin. In short all the stuff that is right up to date, no 64bit present and to cap it all the latest Java (from latest repos and the java site), not working either even with symlinks in place.
Mageia 2
Firefox 10.0.6
about:plugins reports....shockwave flash 11.2r202 file libflashplayer.so
Java Plugin 1.7.0-05 file libnpjp2.so
IcedTea-web Plugin 1.2 (mageia-4.mga2-i386) file IcedTeaPlugin.so

There's more about Gnome shell integration, DivX webplayer, Quick Time plugin, VLC, WMP plugin 10 I can tell you about them if needed - incidentally they seem to have installed themselves without any problem or attention from me.....?

I've tried sifting my way through forum posts and have followed numerous methods to place the adobe files in the mozilla plugin directory, have tried installing directly through terminal entry as root, have ardently followed procedures to access the nonfree repos and installed flash successfully (so it said) still to no avail.
It may be that the sites I am trying to use need Java to work alongside, and so I've been trying to get it up and going as well.
You Tube doesn't play, does that need both flash and Java?

If, as you say, it just needs a fresh install of mageia 2 and loading the appropriate repos and then flash, then I shall do it again (tried it once already)
I have tried following the posts up to now maybe I'm missing something. Is there a ''step by step for dummies'' that you can point me to before I head back to a distro that works straight off.

Thanks for your interest
realclive

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 27th, '12, 22:02

Well, as you don't give any specific details what exactly you have already done, and this is currently hardly reproducable,
nor is your current installation in some consistent state, but rather fuzzy when it comes to flash (and java maybe) i suggest
you do a fresh installation from DVD.

And the step-by-step for flash-player is normally this:

(1. install Mageia)
2. enable nonfree repo
3. install flash-player-plugin
(4. restart browser if currently running).

And no, Youtube doesn't need Java, but Javascript needs to be enabled in your browser. Are you maybe using something as NoScript or did you disable Javascript?
----
doktor5000

Postby realclive » Jul 30th, '12, 10:37

OK, so reinstalled following your step-by-step, so here's what I did.
Installed M2 using whole disk
Removed localizations and kept unused hardware support
When booted, went to control centre and configured media sources to include :-
mirror list non free release
mirrorlist non free updates
The full set of sources was chosen.
Then into install and remove software and searched for 'Flash'
Selected the flash-player-plugin
Had a warning message saying Rpmdrake needs to be updated first etc.
Apply.

With bated breath I start firefox and go to the Olympic opening ceremony on youtube.
Expecting the glowing circles in the sky, but I'm once again looking at a black square with no image or sound.
So apon opening firefox addons I see shockwave flash 11.2 r202 sitting there.

Do you have any more ideas?
realclive

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 30th, '12, 21:38

Can you please try to disable hardware acceleration for Flash? You should be able to do that via right-click -> Settings (on the flash video)

This is because Adobe recently changed some stuff, and this broke for Linux and Windows users alike. See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2173 f.ex.
FWIW, this one can be fixed, and is currently discussed in this mailing list thread: https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/mageia-d ... 17644.html

Another unrelated issue, but it comes into play if you're using firefox, is described in this mailing list thread:
https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/mageia-d ... 16332.html
This was announced for Firefox 13, but i remember seeing some of those frequent crashes with the effect that you describe when i tried other workarounds for the problem mentioned above.
----
doktor5000

Postby fraterlinux » Aug 1st, '12, 01:52

I suggest doing a test: install Google Chrome that supports flash 11.3.x and see if still the same problems. Unfortunately Adobe does not release versions for linux after 11.2 x !
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3101
Open a tab with the address below:
chrome://plugins/
Disable the flash system plugins and leaves only the plugin below enabled:
/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so

Until we have news the only way to use updated flash on Linux is through the Chrome!
fraterlinux

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 1st, '12, 21:13

fraterlinux wrote:I suggest doing a test: install Google Chrome that supports flash 11.3.x and see if still the same problems. Unfortunately Adobe does not release versions for linux after 11.2 x !
[...]
Until we have news the only way to use updated flash on Linux is through the Chrome!

Only partly true, Adobe will offer 5 years of securit updates for standalone Flash 11.2 and it will also provide a debug version of standaolne flash player for linux for that timeframe, AFAIK.
----
doktor5000

Postby fraterlinux » Aug 2nd, '12, 00:44

doktor5000,

When the flash in windows is in version 20.0.x on linux will still be on 11.2.x!

What are the advantages and how to install: debug version of standaolne flash player for linux for that timeframe, AFAIK???
fraterlinux

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 2nd, '12, 22:10

fraterlinux wrote:When the flash in windows is in version 20.0.x on linux will still be on 11.2.x!

Seems you confuse the Chrome version with Flashplayer version ...

The debug version offers no real advantages for normal end-users. It's menat for debugging purposes of applications,
or a little bit of benchmarking and things like that. Normally you can get them here: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
----
doktor5000

Postby fraterlinux » Aug 2nd, '12, 22:19

doktor5000,

Yes, I have installed the package: flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.236-1.mga2.nonfree.x86_64.rpm

But I prefer to use Google Chrome because I use a current version: Flash - Version: 11.3.31.222
fraterlinux

Postby realclive » Aug 3rd, '12, 11:00

Could someone please tell me how to install google chrome?
I cannot find it in the install/remove part of control center.
realclive

Postby fraterlinux » Aug 3rd, '12, 11:43

realclive:

First add the official repository of Google-Chrome
# urpmi.addmedia --update google-chrome http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/$(uname -m | sed -e "s/i.86/i386/")

After install it with URPMI:
# urpmi google-chrome-stable
fraterlinux

Postby realclive » Aug 3rd, '12, 14:37

Thanks, Chrome is working, but the shockwave flash is still not functioning.
It appears in the plugins and is enabled.
Any ideas?
realclive

PreviousNext

Return to MAQeia