[MAQeia] Flashplayer Plugin (32 & 64-bits)

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

[MAQeia] Flashplayer Plugin (32 & 64-bits)

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 31st, '11, 13:46

This post provides the Most Asked Questions (and answers) for Mageia users for the Flashplayer plugins,
It is a summary of all the numerous discussions in the forum.
If you have some suggestions or if you find a mistake please post your suggestions here in the thread.

---

IMPORTANT NOTE

Please don't use the original flash-plugin package directly from Adobe, this is discouraged and not supported.
Please always use distribution packages from Mageia repositories where available. You need to add or enable
the Mageia nonfree repository to be able to install the package flash-player-plugin.

Currently the latest Mageia package for flash-player-plugin is:
flash-player-plugin-11.2.202.460

Adobe Flashplayer
Native stable plugin from Adobe available in 32bit and x86_64 non-free repositories, named flash-player-plugin
See in Errata: http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mageia1:errata#the_skeleton_adobe_flash_player_package_only_exists_in_the_nonfree_repository

If you have a KDE system, you should additionally install the -kde subpackage, so that you get an
entry in KDE's systemsettings, allowing you to change Flash Player settings nicely integrated into KDE.
Can be installed f.ex. with:
Code: Select all
urpmi flash-player-plugin-kde

Stable Flashplayer plugin is the preferred solution.

Alternatives to Adobes Flashplayer plugin

Known issues with Flash

-- flash player crashing sometimes after browser or flash update
Please check if nspluginwrapper in installed. Remove it and try again without it.

-- error message dialog: cannot open library /usr/lib64/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so for the 64bit plugin
or /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so for the 32 bit plugin --
Please check that you have lib64kutils4 (64 bit system) or libkutils4 (32 bit system) installed

For a 64bit system and manual plugin install, check that the service file is in the right location:
cp /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so to /usr/lib64/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so
everything from usr/lib from adobe flashplayer tarball from should be copied to /usr/lib64

-- Link to test Flash and display version in browser --
This can be done directly at Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
or via https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html or at https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flas ... _small.swf
or at https://helpx.adobe.com/de/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html

-- rarely video does not load --
Reload the page

-- no sound with flash --
check that you have libalsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed, needed also for 64bit installation + nspluginwrapper + 32bit Flashplayer plugin
for 64bit Flashplayer plugin on 64bit system check that you have lib64alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed

-- video/system freezes sometimes --
Can be due to nspluginwrapper
For 32bit Flashplayer plugin, you can safely remove nspluginwrapper with
urpme -a nspluginwrapper

For 64bit system, you can only try one of the alternatives or install Flashplayer 11 beta (see above)

-- video stutters sometimes in fullscreen mode --
An user in the german Mageia forum reported that with the proprietary fglrx driver (and a Radeon HD6550) playback
stutters when in fullscreen mode. He reported that a workaround for this can be found in mozilla support:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Can ... h%20videos
The two described steps there can be of help, although they are not recommended,
because when disabling hardware acceleration the CPU is used more and especially
for laptops this is a way to greatly reduce battery time and therefore runtime

Reference link: https://forums.mageia.org/de/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=209

-- other issues with fullscreen mode --
when switching to fullscreen, and the video window disappears, check if you can switch to it with Alt+Tab key combination
this happens sometimes with nspluginwrapper and/or with 3D desktop like Compiz or KDE desktop effects

-- video does not show in browser with totem plugin --
Totem plugin breaks really often, at least for Youtube, please change to another plugin for viewing flash content

-- how to check plugin version in browser --
for Firefox, enter about:plugins in adress bar, you should see an entry for Shockwave Flash,
the filename should say libflashplayer.so, you can also see the version and supported MIME types
At http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ you can check for firefox ifyou have the latest version of the plugin,
this is important as there are often security-realted bugs for the Adobe Flashplayer plugin because it's so widespread
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 15th, '15, 19:50, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: updated plugin version, added some more flash test links from Adobe, added links to Shumway, pepperflash and minitube as flashplayer alternatives, removed obsolete separate x86_64/i586 instructions, added support links for gnash and lightspark
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [MAQeia] Flashplayer Plugin (32 & 64-bits)

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '11, 20:16

Please, everybody feel free to link to this MAQeia, post addtions, corrections, suggestions or just give some positive feedback.
Cheers! :D
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rolf » Sep 12th, '11, 00:47

doktor5000 wrote:At http://www.mozilla.com/de/plugincheck/ you can check for firefox ifyou have the latest version of the plugin,
this is important as there are often security-realted bugs for the Adobe Flashplayer plugin because it's so widespread

Thanks, also available in English, here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
rolf

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 12th, '11, 09:34

Whoops!
Didn't even see the /de/ in the link :oops:
Thanks for the hint :)
----
doktor5000

Postby John66 » Oct 14th, '11, 00:02

doktor5000

Congrats for your work!
I think you should update your input in your original post.
It's now available in Mageia 1 repos (nonfree updates), the new adobe-flash-plugin release (not an rc), version: 11.0.1.152.
Available for both 32-bit & 64-bit.
John66

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 14th, '11, 15:33

Yes, will do at the weekend, just no time to do it yet.
----
doktor5000

Postby xpris » Nov 6th, '11, 16:37

Thanks.
But why we should not use the official flash player from addobe?
I use this always and I never had problems, so what is it?
I had 10x and later versions of the test 11, then stable 11, and now I use the 11.2 beta 2
xpris

Postby wobo » Nov 6th, '11, 17:12

In general it makes no difference in the function of the plugin because the Mageia package is just a script which fetches the original and installs it.

The unexperienced and the "normal" users should use the Mageia package because of 2 reasons:

1. standard installation. In threads about the flashplayer plugin we could read that there are people who install it in their home, others do it the simple way (unpack, copy the .so into the usr/lib(64) directory). Using the Mageia package establishes a common way for Mageia users.

2. Using the original needs thinking about the maintenance (i.e. watching the adobe site for updates). Using the Mageia packages will provide you with the latest version through the Mageia update procedure, one less item you have to think of :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 6th, '11, 23:14

Also depending on which sort of an mageia installation you want to add it,
you will need additional dependencies which the adobe tarball / RPM package will not install for you.
----
doktor5000

Postby rAC » Nov 11th, '11, 13:21

I have tried to install the 64 bit version from the MCC - it says it was installed but remains selected (and uninstalled- I checked with rpm -qa | grep flash)

I then tried with urpmi and got the following:

$MIRRORLIST: media/nonfree/updates/flash-player-plugin-11.0.1.152-1.mga1.nonfree.x86_64.rpm
installing flash-player-plugin-11.0.1.152-1.mga1.nonfree.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     #############################################
Note that by downloading the Adobe Flash Player you indicate your acceptance of
the EULA, available at http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players/flash/
Downloading from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   350  100   350    0     0    581      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   669
Downloading from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.x86_64.rpm:
100   349  100   349    0     0    567      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   652
Downloading from http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/x86_64/flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.x86_64.rpm:
100   253  100   253    0     0    267      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   718
Error: Unable to download Flash Player. This is likely due to this package
       being too old. Please file a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org
       so that the package gets updated. Thank you.

In the meantime, you can download Flash Player manually from
       http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
error: %pre(flash-player-plugin-11.0.1.152-1.mga1.nonfree.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping flash-player-plugin-11.0.1.152-1.mga1.nonfree

Tried the URL and I get a page not found message having chosen linux 64 bit and the Flash Player 11 for other linux (.rpm)
see [url]http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/[object HTMLAnchorElement]/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_other_Linux_(.rpm)_64-bit[/url]

I also get this for any other 64 bit linux version I chose.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or do I learn how to file the bug report?

PS
Last edited by rAC on Nov 11th, '11, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
rAC

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 11th, '11, 13:37

rAC wrote:
Error: Unable to download Flash Player. This is likely due to this package
       being too old. Please file a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org
       so that the package gets updated. Thank you.

In the meantime, you can download Flash Player manually from
       http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Just what the message states, a new version has been released so the old one isn't available anymore.
It has already been uploaded, you just need to wait until your mirror synchronizes, then
the package will be installable again as the new version: flash-player-plugin-11.1.102.55-1.mga1
----
doktor5000

Postby rAC » Nov 11th, '11, 14:00

Thanks Doc but I would have thought that adobe wouldn't have taken down their files without a notice
rAC

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 11th, '11, 19:42

Normally one would also think they release working software or care for their products.
No, they'll take down those links once the new release is online. Whatever the reason ... :(
----
doktor5000

Postby aconst » Nov 28th, '11, 12:43

Hi all,

well it's very embarrassing that a so ergonomic distribution like Mageia, still has problems installing plugins instead simplifying the install procedures.

I was shocked by the solutions presented by some (very helpful) forum colleagues asking chmod and other scripts in order to bypass the a.m. problem.

I hope that the 2-nd Mageia version will do the things the right way from the beginning. I still have the dream of a linux world which can address the ergonomics of an operation system in a non-geek way.

Regards,
Aconst
aconst

Postby wobo » Nov 28th, '11, 12:52

aconst wrote:well it's very embarrassing that a so ergonomic distribution like Mageia, still has problems installing plugins instead simplifying the install procedures.
I was shocked by the solutions presented by some (very helpful) forum colleagues asking chmod and other scripts in order to bypass the a.m. problem.

I can see no such embarrassing situation. As you could read in this thread here all you need to do is download/install the plugin with the Mageia package manager, like all applications and tools.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby aconst » Nov 28th, '11, 14:02

wobo wrote:... As you could read in this thread here all you need to do is download/install the plugin with the Mageia package manager...

Don't understand me in a wrong way... we live in times where people want just to click on some apps, and installing the Flash Player is really not easy. If you don't think so, look at the number of hits on the forum.

It just need to be included by default or put a big icon/link on the main Mageia page (which is opened anyway by default). Make a link to a page containing small useful programs - make a link for similar tools so that everybody is able to install it by clicking on it.

Please make a tool which will install any software without making a difference if .deb, .rpm, tar.gz of whatever. This will boost the acceptance of desktop users regarding Linux.

I hope you see this as an constructive criticism - I'm pinpointing the problem and I'm also trying to propose a solution.

Regards from freezing Germany
Aconst
aconst

Postby isadora » Nov 28th, '11, 14:17

aconst wrote:
wobo wrote:... As you could read in this thread here all you need to do is download/install the plugin with the Mageia package manager...

Don't understand me in a wrong way... we live in times where people want just to click on some apps, and installing the Flash Player is really not easy. If you don't think so, look at the number of hits on the forum.

It just need to be included by default or put a big icon/link on the main Mageia page (which is opened anyway by default). Make a link to a page containing small useful programs - make a link for similar tools so that everybody is able to install it by clicking on it.

Please make a tool which will install any software without making a difference if .deb, .rpm, tar.gz of whatever. This will boost the acceptance of desktop users regarding Linux.

I hope you see this as an constructive criticism - I'm pinpointing the problem and I'm also trying to propose a solution.

Regards from freezing Germany
Aconst

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3423
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Nov 28th, '11, 17:26

aconst wrote:Don't understand me in a wrong way... we live in times where people want just to click on some apps, and installing the Flash Player is really not easy. If you don't think so, look at the number of hits on the forum.

The majority of those who wrote about their personal flashplayer plugin agony did so because they did not follow directions or received unnecessary complicated "help". That was before the package flash-player-plugin was created. After that it is like with any other application: Open MCC -> Software -> Installing software, write "flash" into the search bar, push Enter and the first entry in search results is the flash-player-plugin. Mark it, install it. Done.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby dwhite » Jan 1st, '12, 12:43

Aconst is right many the time have I sat on my boat wishing for a universal plug-in tool I think personally that's a little of why Dell , Sony and the other big laptop suppliers still sell laptops with Windows pre-installed. Most of the big distributions can be convigered now to easily have the have utility of Windows. The not having plug-ins, drivers an codices was the big hold up when I was trying to get fully loaded Netbooks from China.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Postby dwhite » Jan 1st, '12, 12:51

The plug-in in KDE didn't work!!!
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 1st, '12, 13:57

By "it didn't work" you mean exactly what? With which browser? And does it work now?
----
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Jan 1st, '12, 23:16

I found that by the flash player plug-in that was installed by KDE didn't work, but the driver installed via the link to the adobe site works fine. I know that's not the recommended way to get the plug-ins. Even when I tried the 32-bit live disk I had to do that. Currently the plug in allows video to be shown on my installation. Do all browsers do that? I don't think that plug-ins should be included on the install disk, but a utility to get them all should you want them to get them the first time you could use them. Mozilla asks so you could use that that would keep down the size of the live disk.
Last edited by dwhite on Jan 1st, '12, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 1st, '12, 23:36

KDE doesn't install any plugin, even less a browser plugin. And for 99% of all people the packaged flash-player-plugin
works. It would be nice that know why it didn't work in your case, or what you have done different, or how you tried to install it in the first place?
Please also show the output of
rpm -qa --last | grep flash-player-plugin
----
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Jan 2nd, '12, 00:00

#rpm -qa --last | grep flash-player-plugin
#(nothing)

What I did the time I didn't work was make a ftp site a secondary install method after my dual CD and went to bed, I think I might have been upgrading from Mandriva 2010 (I wanted open office) anyway there was six or seven plug- ins in the Mozilla list
Last edited by dwhite on Jan 2nd, '12, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 2nd, '12, 00:04

You know you need to add/enable the Mageia nonfree repository to be able to install the package flash-player-plugin?
----
doktor5000

Next

Return to MAQeia