[MAQeia] Dropbox

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

[MAQeia] Dropbox

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '12, 19:09

edit doktor5000: seems the update to 3.14.x will kill the systray icon - currently only known workaround is to downgrade to one of the 3.12.x versions
See the upstream report https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/c ... KDE4-Linux
and this post for links to older downloads: viewtopic.php?p=62581#p62581

Before you post any question about dropbox, please have a look if those are not already covered in our excellent wiki page for dropbox: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Dropbox

Or in the other existing forum threads revolving around dropbox:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=127
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3596
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3379
Last edited by doktor5000 on Feb 13th, '16, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update to 3.14.x will kill the systray icon
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

[SOLVED] System is downloading droppbox deamon every boot.

Postby pedro » Sep 16th, '14, 17:35

My system is downloading droppbox deamon every time I boot my desktop.
Then I'm presented with a dialog that ask me if I want to run installer or simply link account.

It's a bit anoying that this happens every time I start my desktop.

Dropbox starts automatically when the desktop is started (not kfilebox).If I choose to link my account from the dialog the dropbox icon dissapears and Kfilebox starts and then from Kfilebox I can start dropbox again.

I am using mageia 2 with KDE
Last edited by pedro on Sep 24th, '14, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
pedro

Re: System is downloading droppbox deamon every boot.

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 16th, '14, 20:47

Happens here too since some dropbox update. Until now didn't find the time to look at it. Workaround: Don't boot that often :p

Maybe you can find some pointers here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/dropbox
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Sep 18th, '14, 14:27

I personally avoid dropbox for security reasons. I don't know why you (plural) use it, so perhaps you do not have the option to avoid it.

I have deployed Owncloud (open source software) as a cloud service that provides all the capabilities that dropbox provides, but using a platform that is fully under my control. I have found it to be quite easy to fully integrate the owncloud environment with my Mageia workstation. I opened an account at no-ip in order to have a DNS entry for the owncloud server to facilitate access from my mobile device wherever I am. I have given clients and friends accounts on my server so we can exchange files. I don't have problems with clients downloading and installing every time I boot, and I have no particular concerns about who might be snooping around my files that are "in the cloud", since I have complete control of the particular cloud.

Just a comment and suggestion, if it makes sense for you.
jiml8

Postby pedro » Sep 19th, '14, 14:06

I tok a look att ownCloud and as I rent space at a web hotell i figured I could install the server there.
And to my surprise the offered it as a one click install. Easy peacy.
I will use ownCloud for my personal/work files (no space limitations), but I still have a few folders in my Droppbox account that is shared beetween different groups. Guess I will keep using Dropbox for those.
pedro

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 19th, '14, 20:24

@Jim: Comprehensible and perfectly valid hint. But I'm only using dropbox for public data.
The other reason is laziness ...
----
doktor5000

Postby actionh23r » Sep 19th, '14, 20:49

A workaround to prevent dropbox from redownloading is to autostart dropbox without kfilebox. This seems to be a kfilebox issue. When you deactivate autostarting kfilebox and add an autostart entry for /.dropbox-dist/dropboxd in the kde system settings everything works fine.
actionh23r

Postby pedro » Sep 24th, '14, 08:10

Here is my solution. It uses dropbox without Kfilebox.

Uninstalled Kfilebox.
Removed /home/user/.dropbox-dist direktory

From this page: "https://www.dropbox.com/install" I used this command as anormal user:
Code: Select all
cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -
This installs the deamon and creates the direktory "/home/user/.dropbox-dist"

Then I did this the command "./dropboxd" from within the directory "/home/user/.dropbox-dist"
This starts dropbox and the icon is shown in the tray. (shows that it works)

Added an autostart entry for /.dropbox-dist/dropboxd in the kde system settings.

After I reboot dropbox starts and the icon is addded to the tray. :)
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 24th, '14, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
pedro

Re: [SOLVED] System is downloading droppbox deamon every boo

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 24th, '14, 12:26

Thanks for the hint, will try that one out. Just made this thread a sticky and moved it to tips&tricks subforum, thanks for sharing :)
----
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] System is downloading droppbox deamon every boo

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '14, 18:37

Just checked, and it's working perfectly fine, just like you mentioned - now no more confusing kfilebox icon with a red warning sign on it, right next to the dropbox icon which says "all in sync". \o/ :D

Now only need to find a clean way to use dolphin (or some other preferred filemanager) when nautilus is installed.
See e.g. http://askubuntu.com/a/139384/329633 - Uninstalling nautilus works, it opens with dolphin but that's no clean solution.
----
doktor5000

Return to MAQeia