[MAQeia] The Google Talk Plugin / Voice and Video Chat

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

[MAQeia] The Google Talk Plugin / Voice and Video Chat

Postby rollercomsolutions » Jun 29th, '12, 22:45

This post provides the Most Asked Questions (and answers) for Mageia users on enabling the handy voice and video chat plugin for gmail. The Google Talk Plugin is a browser plugin that enables you to use Google voice and video chat to chat face to face with family and friends.
If you have any questions or find a mistake, feel free to post here in the thread.
I've created a simple webinar video to show you how i setup Mageia when i first install and also i install this plugin. http://rollercomsolutions.enterthemeeting.com/e/mtg?SBKAGF
The following explains in detail how to add the plugin so that you will not see this message anymore Image instead you'll see Image
If you want to install with one command and not read the rest below use (as root in terminal)
This one for 32-bit install
Code: Select all
urpmi.addmedia --update google-talkplugin http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/rpm/stable/i386 && rpm --import https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub && urpmi google-talkplugin && urpmi --auto-update

and This one for 64-bit install
urpmi.addmedia --update google-talkplugin http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/rpm/stable/x86_64 && rpm --import https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub && urpmi google-talkplugin && urpmi --auto-update

Installing directly from repositories for automatic updates from Google

Simply open a konsole or terminal and login as super user or root
then for 32 bit users issue the following command
urpmi.addmedia --update google-talkplugin http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/rpm/stable/i386

and for 64 bit users issue the following command
urpmi.addmedia --update google-talkplugin http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/rpm/stable/x86_64

After adding a source to my repositories i like to issue the following command as root
urpmi --auto-update

Next install google-talkplugin (this can be done a few ways, Install & Remove software then search All for google-talkplugin , check the box and apply. Open the terminal as root and run
urpmi google-talkplugin
and you'll get updates directly from Google as soon as they release them. If you don't see google-talkplugin make sure when in the Software Management program that you've selected all and not just Packages With GUI.

One thing needs to be done to ensure correct operation, you need to import the public GPG key with which Google signs those packages,
or otherwise you'll get errors about the wrong or unknown signature of those packages. This will cure the invalid signature message you might have seen when installing earlier.
Simply open a konsole or terminal and login as super user or root to import Googles public GPG key with this command
rpm --import https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

For a manual install
select the appropriate rpm (32 or 64 bit) from http://www.google.com/chat/video/download.html Ignore the (For Fedora/openSUSE) and their instructions we're just getting the rpm downloaded.
Open the rpm in the pop up box and open with default or save the rpm then open a konsole or terminal and login as super user or root and cd to the directory that contains the rpm (usually your Downloads) then issue the following command
For 32 bit
urpmi google-talkplugin_current_i386.rpm

For 64 bit
urpmi google-talkplugin_current_x86_64.rpm

Also if you get a message about invalid signature simply open a konsole or terminal and login as super user or root to import Googles public GPG key with this command
rpm --import https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

also i like to issue the update command
urpmi --auto-update
rollercomsolutions

Re: [MAQeia] The Google Talk Plugin / Voice and Video Chat

Postby ohmysql » Nov 15th, '12, 03:39

My version says I can't install google-talkplugin-3.10.2.0-1.x86_64 due to unsatisfied libpng12.so.0()(64bit))

Any idea where I can get that, or what's going on?

OMS
ohmysql

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 15th, '12, 04:51

ohmysql wrote:My version says I can't install google-talkplugin-3.10.2.0-1.x86_64 due to unsatisfied libpng12.so.0()(64bit))

OMS

I'm looking into it, what more can you tell me about your setup?
rollercomsolutions

Postby wobo » Nov 15th, '12, 17:59

I'm a bit confused:
I did not have to install anything to use Google Talk (voice & video) because the software runs on the remote Google server. I am using the Gmail website and just had to activate and configure Google Talk online - btw: it worked out of the box, meaning: no change of the automatic configuration necessary.

May be I misunderstand the purpose of this thread.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby ohmysql » Nov 16th, '12, 06:08

Even on Ubuntu, Google voice and video didn't work out of the box for me.

To answer the question, let me know what you'd like to know - I just installed Mageia 2, KDE. I know that installing Gnome can clear up some problems. nVidia graphics card, 64-bit processor. I think those are helpful pieces of info but let me know?

OMS!!!
ohmysql

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 19th, '12, 18:59

Wobo, you need the plugin, I'd be interested in seeing you do a clean install and webinar to prove your theory like i am. If you need an easy to use screencast app i use the one linked to on my website here http://rollercomsolutions.com/meeting

This is a fresh KDE install mageia 2 and i'm installing the plugin for google voice and video chat so i can use my mic to make free calls from gmail and also video chat with my contacts.

Watch My Webinar Video Here:
Uploading...
rollercomsolutions

Postby wobo » Nov 19th, '12, 19:24

As I wrote, I do not understand the situation, namely your claim that you have to install something on your computer to use Google Talk and Videochat.

Again:
- I have a google account as you can see by my mail address.
- on the Googlemail website I click on "join googletalk" and then I open the "Configuration" link in the top bar menue.
- in the "Talk" tab I see the correct settings already done, I test the settings and that's it.

No installation of any special package required.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 19th, '12, 19:54

ohmysql wrote:My version says I can't install google-talkplugin-3.10.2.0-1.x86_64 due to unsatisfied libpng12.so.0()(64bit))

OMS

I'm curious to know how you went about installing google-talkplugin ? i made a few extra notes in the guide above that shows you how i install and when you try it the way i did, you'll have libpng installed automatically as a dependancy. the video showing this is rendering and will be uploaded if you feel like watching and following along
rollercomsolutions

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 19th, '12, 19:58

wobo wrote:As I wrote, I do not understand the situation, namely your claim that you have to install something on your computer to use Google Talk and Videochat.

Again:
- on the Googlemail website I click on "join googletalk" and then I open the "Configuration" link in the top bar menue.
- in the "Talk" tab I see the correct settings already done, I test the settings and that's it.

Ok, i understand, my video will show you the problems that not having the plugin exposes. Then you will see :)
rollercomsolutions

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 19th, '12, 20:06

wobo wrote:As I wrote, I do not understand the situation, namely your claim that you have to install something on your computer to use Google Talk and Videochat.

Again:

See here in this image
It said before the install that i needed to install the plugin which only takes a few seconds
now it says the version i have installed
rollercomsolutions

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 19th, '12, 21:53

@wobo: Maybe you already have it installed in your browser profile and forgot that you have installed it some time ago?
In Firefox, check about:plugins ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Nov 20th, '12, 06:48

Yes, I installed it a while ago from the Googlemail account settings. I inquired now and I see that Google changed something. Funny thing, it showed a new page where I am asked to install the plugin although video chat already works nicely, I used it 5 minutes before. :)

Now I understand the reason for this Maqeia, it was not necessary when I actifvated it 1.5 years ago.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ohmysql » Nov 22nd, '12, 00:19

Hmm, I'm not sure I see the part in your instructions above where you say how to get libpng.

I've retried your instructions and I didn't have any luck. I remove the google-talk rpm and then tried reinstalling from scratch both ways (manually and automatically) without any luck.

Any idea how I can install libpng?

I'd get a different message if the problem was with the Google Signature, right?
ohmysql

Postby wobo » Nov 22nd, '12, 03:24

wobo wrote:Now I understand the reason for this Maqeia, it was not necessary when I actifvated it 1.5 years ago.

Hmm, must step back from this. Installed a fresh Alpha3 and Google Talk / Video works on the Google website from the first minute, without installing anything to my local system or browser.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby ohmysql » Nov 22nd, '12, 04:22

Ok, that's cool. That said, any ideas on how to install libpng would be very helpful.
ohmysql

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 22nd, '12, 21:35

Seems your repositories are not setup properly:
[doktor5000@Mageia2 ~]$ sudo LC_ALL=C urpmi 'libpng12.so.0()(64bit)'
Package lib64png12_0-1.2.49-1.mga2.x86_64 is already installed
[doktor5000@Mageia2 ~]$ urpmq --whatprovides 'libpng12.so.0()(64bit)'
lib64png12_0
[doktor5000@Mageia2 ~]$ urpmq --sources lib64png12_0
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/mageia/distrib/2/x86_64/media/core/release/lib64png12_0-1.2.49-1.mga2.x86_64.rpm
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rollercomsolutions » Nov 22nd, '12, 23:55

That's what I'm thinking. I think I'll make a getting setup video
rollercomsolutions

Postby ohmysql » Nov 24th, '12, 17:58

Oh, yes, that was it! My repositories weren't set-up properly. Once I chose a better repository (the one from Canada), it automagically installed a bunch of stuff and now it's working great.

Thank you!
ohmysql

Return to MAQeia