[HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit deps

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

[HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit deps

Postby ITA84 » Jul 25th, '19, 09:50

In Mageia 7 64-bit installations your 32-bit media sources aren't enabled by default, in order to reduce the sources to check when installing or updating 64-bit packages. However, when trying to install packages like Steam and Wine which also have 32-bit package dependencies you'll get a cryptic error message after failure: this is because the dependency resolver (urpmi or dnf) has no way of knowing that the missing dependencies are in the disabled 32-bit media sources.

Therefore, if you want to install a package with 32-bit dependencies (or if you see that a package 'cannot be installed' but don't know the dependencies in advance, you may try this all the same), you can follow either one of these procedures:

• From the Mageia Control Center: in Software Management -> Configure media sources for install and update, you should have a list of configured media sources: tick the Enabled boxes next to both the Core 32-bit Release and Core 32-bit Updates media that should be on the list; you may also want to enable Core 32-bit Nonfree and Tainted media (Release and Update) if you have the respective 64-bit media enabled; then confirm and update your system before you try installing the packages you want again
  • From the commandline (urpmi): open the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file (must have root privileges) and you will see several sections named like the media sources in your system; find the sections with Core 32-bit in their name (see above), and you should see a line with 'ignore' inside each of them: simply remove that line for all those media sources, and then run the command 'urpmi.update -a' (still with root privileges) to make sure all the media sources are updated; alternatively you can use the command in doktor5000's post (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12952#p75926 - bash-completion works)
  • From the commandline (dnf): as currently noted in the Mageia Wiki (https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Using_DNF#Install_and_Setup), you can use the command 'dnf config-manager --set-enabled <repository list>' (with root privileges), where <repository list> is the list of the 32-bit repositories defined for dnf and separated by spaces: they are 'mageia-i586 updates-i586 mageia-x86_64-nonfree updates-x86_64-nonfree' (I don't have dnf configured, so I can't verify)
Please note that while the first two procedures are equivalent, the third one is not, as dnf uses a separate configuration from the Mageia Control Center and urpmi. Please also note that there may be another procedure you could use with the newer Mageia Panel, but it should be similar to the first procedure.

If you find any issues or inaccuracies in this post please let me know so I can fix them
Last edited by ITA84 on Jul 29th, '19, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
ITA84

Re: [HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit d

Postby isadora » Jul 25th, '19, 11:06

Thanks ITA84 , great contribution.
I moved it to our hints- and tips-section, MAQeia. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 27th, '19, 10:49

ITA84 wrote:From the commandline (urpmi): open the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file (must have root privileges) and you will see several sections named like the media sources in your system; find the sections with Core 32-bit in their name (see above), and you should see a line with 'ignore' inside each of them: simply remove that line for all those media sources, and then run the command 'urpmi.update -a' (still with root privileges) to make sure all the media sources are updated

Instead of editing a file, why not simply do this
Code: Select all
urpmi.update --no-ignore "Core 32bit Release"
urpmi.update --no-ignore "Core 32bit Updates"
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Jul 29th, '19, 09:23

Wouldn't that only update the disabled sources once? If so, this could create problems if there are any 32-bit package updates later. I'm asking because I'm not really an expert and have only used like 1% of the options uprmi offers
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 29th, '19, 18:00

ITA84 wrote:Wouldn't that only update the disabled sources once?

No, that's permanent.

[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[17:59:49]─[~] man urpmi.update|grep no-ignore
--ignore, --no-ignore
Don't update media, but mark them as ignored (that is, disables them). --no-ignore has the reverse behaviour: it marks the media as enabled.
[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[17:59:54]─[~
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Jul 29th, '19, 19:21

Got it. Added to the OP, thanks for your suggestion!
ITA84

Postby ArDrakho » Jun 23rd, '20, 07:05

Greetings,

I did enjoy my time using Mageia 7 and probably would have continued as my primary OS; however, Wine just does not work "out-of-the-box".

After installing the OS and selecting Wine to be installed--after rebooting, I should then double-click on any Windows .EXE and watch the software install.

Well, Mageia 7 does not do that and after many attempts on getting it to work as I expected from Wine from other OSes--I give up.

I can see the wine32 packages and select them--but it keeps saying "Sorry...". Beyond frustrated now....going back to OpenSUSE where Wine just works "out-of-the-box"!

Keep up the good work...being a Mandrake user from way back...I did enjoy my time with Mageia.

Have fun!!
ArDrakho
ArDrakho

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 23rd, '20, 18:46

ArDrakho wrote:I can see the wine32 packages and select them--but it keeps saying "Sorry...".

Why do you reply that to a 2 year old thread?

If you're missing some repositories, and hence some dependencies cannot be resolved, then software cannot be installed. That's the same in openSUSE.
And if you rely on wine so much that you change the distro if it doesn't work, why not simply ask how to install it, or how to solve your issue?

FWIW, I cannot reproduce. Always after a fresh Mageia install I'll install wine, and never had an issue with it or with installing stuff.
----
doktor5000

Postby ArDrakho » Jun 24th, '20, 05:47

That's good to hear that you had a different experience...I performed a fresh install twice. Same thing...cannot use Wine.
For me, there should be no extra steps for using Wine (besides some configurations specifics, etc.) but I do not get to that point; hence, my reply to a 2-year thread that was directly related to my issue--it helped but did not solve it.

I am not doing anything different with the Mageia install versus when I install Fedora or OpenSuse where I use the stock/default/pre-selected repositories.
In those two OSes with their stock repositories, Wine just works. I expected the same behaviour with Mageia 7, still not working for me where you stated you could not duplicate my issue.

I can use Notepad--that's expected since it is part of the menu selections (pre-installed). I cannot install and use DVDFab or CDex via Wine; which for me, are very necessary since Linux as a whole lacks a reliable and updated DVD/BR archiver. I cannot use some other Win98 software..and so forth.

I am a new user to Mageia--so whatever repositories that are stock is what I use for installation. Otherwise, I do not have a clue about Mageia related repositories besides what the installer tells me about them. The ticket '[HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit deps' mentioned two repositories that had to be activated for Wine to work--which I found to be strange--do not ever recall doing anything like this in other OSes to get Wine working. But hey...I gave it go. Did not work for me.

Maybe you know something from experience to do during your installations versus what I did for installing Mageia.
Oh well that happens too, which definitely explains why you are successful while I am not in regards to Wine.

Wish I had your experience instead--Mageia 7 rocks anyway!

Before I discovered Mageia 7, I was going to play with Fedora 32 KDE spin since it was released this past April. Going to install that and see what's new in the Fedora realm since v28 & v29--hopefully, they worked worked out any major bugs that usually come with major releases by now. ;) Looking forward to playing with OpenSuse 15.2 that is soon to be released--probably a fall project...

I definitely will be back to play Mageia again...hopefully I will experience your clean install next time.

Thanks,
ArDrakho
ArDrakho

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '20, 10:57

ArDrakho wrote:I am not doing anything different with the Mageia install versus when I install Fedora or OpenSuse where I use the stock/default/pre-selected repositories.
In those two OSes with their stock repositories, Wine just works. I expected the same behaviour with Mageia 7, still not working for me where you stated you could not duplicate my issue.

Well, the difference is that the 32bit repositories are not enabled by default on 64bit installs, and those are required for wine - otherwise you cannot install wine32.
This is also mentioned in release notes, see the bottom hint at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_7_Rel ... positories

For the other part as you only mentioned "did not work for me" - that's not really a sufficient problem description.
Can you at least post the output as root of
rpm -qa|grep -i wine|sort
urpmi wine

so that we can see why it does not install ? My guess is that you only have wine64 installed, which is not what you want.
----
doktor5000

Postby ArDrakho » Jun 25th, '20, 18:31

Well, the original Wine configuration was blown away--via the Software Manager where I completely removed all Wine selections and rebooted.

Starting with no Wine packages, I selected:

wine - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs 4.0.3 1.mga7 i586

And it downloaded and installed everything required, since the repositories from the ticket were activated, it installed the 32-bit version of Wine.
After installation, I attempted to open NotePad--it failed and no error message was given. Checked the process controller--no active Wine processes.
So that was a bust again.

Later, I returned to the Software Manager, I selected:

wine64 - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs​ 4.0.3 1.mga7 x86_64

Again, it downloaded, removed, and installed required packages for the 64-bit version of Wine.
After installation, I attempted to open NotePad--it opened. So I attempted to install CDex--it installed the software with no hiccups--yeah!!

So Wine in Mageia 7 was an interesting journey. I made updates to my Mageia 7 install notes for next time.

Here is what your executed commands output:

[ardrakho@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep -i wine|sort
lib64kwineffects5-5.15.4-1.1.mga7
wine32-4.0.3-1.mga7
wine64-4.0.3-1.mga7
wine64-gecko-2.47-1.mga6
wine-gecko-2.47-1.mga6
wine-mono-4.7.5-1.mga7

[ardrakho@localhost ~]$ urpmi wine
bash: urpmi: command not found
[ardrakho@localhost ~]$

So my conclusion is what you previously stated only the 64-bit version was only installed--hence, my issues.

So for a new Mageia 7 installation and for the newbies like me, if Wine is selected to be installed, the installer should automatically select all the required repositories required for Wine functionality at the onset. If that was possible, that would prevent WIne issues from newcomers like me in the future.

Since Wine is now working--I can play with Mageia 7 some more....

Thank you and God bless!!
ArDrakho
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 25th, '20, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
ArDrakho

Return to MAQeia