Mageia 6 is there!!!!!

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

Mageia 6 is there!!!!!

Postby isadora » Jul 16th, '17, 17:56

Yes everyone the long waiting is behind, today Rémi Verschelde announced the new Mageia release, 6.

https://blog.mageia.org/en/2017/07/16/a ... -mageia-6/

Wish everyone a magical future!!! :D
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Mageia 6 is there!!!!!

Postby AstorBG » Jul 17th, '17, 08:32

Awesome work! Many thanks to Mageia team for the great job!
Mageia 5.1, KDE4, x86_64
Mageia 8, Plasma, x86_64
AstorBG

Postby kernow » Jul 17th, '17, 08:54

Just upgraded to 6 on an old laptop to test, upgrade via applet went fine. A clean and professional looking OS. Well done!
kernow

Postby nw1456 » Jul 17th, '17, 17:06

Also just upgraded using the internet and applet (after a full backup) ;) It all worked great in spite of the upgrade window going completely black half way through with just the outlines of the progression bars showing. Just left it to the end, got the success screen with no text, only squares, clicked on what I correctly assumed was reboot and restarted perfectly.
The desktop was quite a shock! All that colour, nearly fell out of my chair. Looking very nice indeed. Well done all, and thank you.
nw1456

Postby Germ » Jul 17th, '17, 18:28

Sweet! :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby bbfuller » Jul 17th, '17, 19:02

Just completed an upgrade from the latest 5 to 6 using the full install iso burned to USD stick with "dd"

Mostly it's been very smooth, I did make one mistake though.

The upgrade process did ask if I wanted to set up any other sources of software and I didn't. The process failed later on as it couldn't find all the software it needed. Recovered nicely though and gave me the chance to set an http source and picked up where it left off. Failed again later on a couple more packages which I'll put down to the mirror I was using not being fully sync'd. Recovered nicely again though and completed successfully when I specified another source. I'm using it now.

Lesson is, if you are upgrading from an external source, dvd or usb, do ensure you select an online source for anything not on the install media.

Can I assume that the 6rc version that I have installed elsewhere just automatically becomes 6?

Nice job from the developers though. Thanks very much.
bbfuller

Postby laudi » Jul 17th, '17, 20:30

bbfuller wrote:Can I assume that the 6rc version that I have installed elsewhere just automatically becomes 6?

No. You have to remove the media sources and add the media for mga6. Otherwise you install mga7 packages.
laudi

Postby andrewholmes » Jul 18th, '17, 09:27

Just got to agree... had a netinstall on my oldest (vintage 2007 laptop) machine overnight and this morning, the thing was working, no files lost, all I had to do was uninstall a few old files to complete the installation. I am truly amazed. :mrgreen:
andrewholmes

Postby daniewicz » Jul 18th, '17, 23:30

It all worked great in spite of the upgrade window going completely black half way through with just the outlines of the progression bars showing. Just left it to the end, got the success screen with no text, only squares, clicked on what I correctly assumed was reboot and restarted perfectly.
The desktop was quite a shock! All that colour, nearly fell out of my chair.

My experience exactly. Very pleased :D

One question regarding setting the desktop to a color rather than an image. In Mageia 5 we had the option to set two colors with a prescribed transition. In Mageia 6 we have only a single color option. Is this as planned? Do I need to install other packages?
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Postby isadora » Jul 18th, '17, 23:40

Daniewicz, thanks for sharing your experience.
Just about your question, i'd rather suggest to make a new topic for this.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby daniewicz » Jul 19th, '17, 03:58

Will do. Thanks.
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Postby Akien » Jul 19th, '17, 10:53

bbfuller wrote:The upgrade process did ask if I wanted to set up any other sources of software and I didn't. The process failed later on as it couldn't find all the software it needed. Recovered nicely though and gave me the chance to set an http source and picked up where it left off. Failed again later on a couple more packages which I'll put down to the mirror I was using not being fully sync'd. Recovered nicely again though and completed successfully when I specified another source. I'm using it now.

Lesson is, if you are upgrading from an external source, dvd or usb, do ensure you select an online source for anything not on the install media.

That's a very good point, thanks for raising it. I've opened this bug report to make sure we fix this for Mageia 7: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21285
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby andrewholmes » Jul 19th, '17, 11:47

But, alas, no get-skype this time around.

As a bonus, however, that same machine is now apparently functioning faster than under Mageia 5... 8-)
andrewholmes

Postby emilhd » Jul 20th, '17, 14:59

My congratulations to Mageia team on the new release, very well done..
just upgraded to Mageia 6 through online. a little hiccup on the wifi driver (broadcom) by the way.
but mostly a happy experience in the update process :)
emilhd

Postby andrewholmes » Jul 21st, '17, 04:01

Ahhh, spoke too soon!

Last night, KDE crashed and I have not been able to restart it. The welcome window comes up, but there's nothing behind it.

So far, other DEs seem to be working okay, but how can I fix this??? :shock:
andrewholmes

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 21st, '17, 07:59

This thread is not meant for support-type questions, please start a separate thread for your issue in the respective support subforum, thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby msdobrescu » Jul 23rd, '17, 10:28

"Change your perspective"

I find it brilliant, stable, lovely, with an exquisite community :)
Change my perspective to what?
msdobrescu

Postby duncangareth » Jul 24th, '17, 13:54

I am impressed with the general performance of Mageia 6. Well done, everyone.

I am concerned about the seeming embeddedness of Samba. I see there is no way of getting rid of it without causing major dependency issues. This, and the inablity of KDE Plasma 5 to allow different backgrounds per screen per virtual desktop I find irksome. Otherwise, I am happy.

Mageia is still the best distro.
duncangareth

Postby drakeia » Jul 24th, '17, 16:50

Fresh install of Mageia 6, feedback and thanks:
(and rants!)

I've installed Mageia 6 next to Mageia 5.1 (the other disk).

I'm glad the team has implemented UEFI partitioning support, that was a silly thing I've reported back in 5.1: having UEFI install option but automatic partitioning not doing its job.
Thanks for that.

Stability: I've ran into a lot of stability problems with 5.1, we were about to drop the distro.
Mageia 6 seems more stable, the PC no longer has random hangs or black screen (dpms problem). 8-) At least for the first couple of days.
Thants for that.

Using Plasma because I've always liked the customizability of KDE.
Still a nightmare: options and roles dispatched all over the place (I need to make a overview poster about that, I'm lost with themes, behaviour, decoration, colors, look&feel, etc).
The worst thing: shiping only flat themes, and not being able to download new GUI looks / themes. It's broken and it's known: I've read that somewhere. New windows themes for Plasma are listed but the download and install buttons do nothing. I had to put it directly in the directory to be able to select something less ugly.
What I complain about themes is the combination of "poor choice by default" + "broken download & install" by GUI. :evil:
I feel trapped and I don't like that on Linux, this is not I was accustomed to (back to Mandrake).

Broken default X GUI login, as before, after the first login (just login, logout, login with another user, or switch to console VT, etc, you'll see).
Seriously KDE and Plasma team still have a problem there, I need to report that with a picture.
I guess the same buggy code from KDE4 is still there, deep inside. :geek:

Numlock... come on... we are in 2017. Still I have to search again once more how to set that numlock by default... :evil:
Would it be so hard to have an option to tick for numlock by default at install time? (both for console and X)
I think I've already seen that during a distro install years ago, Mandrake maybe.
EDIT: see bug https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18027

Some of my other customizations:
Where is xrandr ? Not talking of lxrandr. The normal xrandr seems gone and not listed in any package. :shock:
I need it for nighshift (darker screen at night without changing monitor adjustments, in case you have a better solution).
I'll have to look into that, I hope nobody has ditched this utility.
EDIT: done with rpmfind.net ...

Overall, well... I know this is a lot of work and most glitches are not Mageia's fault.
I also feel that the more it get polished, the more work I have to do to get it to a usable state (from a user experience point of view). :?

Thanks again for bringing out this distro! 8-)
From Mandrake 5 to Mandriva until the end, Linux Mint 17, and now Mageia 5, 6
drakeia

Postby artee » Aug 19th, '17, 17:10

My experience:

Installation: very fast (well, I got fiber/gig-e earlier this month) with cli / urpmi. I got rid of orphans too.

I noticed that the kernel had not been updated, manually added the mga6 desktop kernel.

Booting: grub2 had added the mga6 kernel as default.
Booting was similarly fast on Mageia 5, all fine. About 15 secs from grub.

Login screen: no icons for users (don't mind, don't care), looks slick. Options to log in include icewm and plasma. I assume that plasma is what I need (KDE user since forever).

Logging in into the main account (my wife's - my stuff is on a headless server living in a vnc session that I can connect to from about anywhere, including my smartphone over vpn): slow to log in (25 to 30 seconds), are you kidding me?

Next, with the new plasma, all settings are "gone".
Okay, no biggie, I'll have to redo them.

First things first: everything is soo tiny on my 24" 4k screen, so I configure to set the dpi to 184 (in a second approach 142 suits me better), change icon sizes, log off, log on (incl. waiting), ok, now I can see what I'm doing.

Then, I figured I better put back the various backdrops and such that my wife had.
We had the marble desktop globe as a background for the first of 4 virtual desktops, and then specific images for the other 3 (organised in 4x1 virtual desktop arrangement).
First, the default seems to be that there is only one desktop - so the pager (which was there) actually showed nothing, since there was nothing to page.
Then (after searching) I find that not only can we not have Marble as a globe (it was possible to zoom in or out and keep the setting/view as the regular desktop background), it is no longer possible to have different backgrounds for different virtual desktops. KDE devs seem to have taken a hint from the Gnome guys or so..?

Sure, life will go on, but activities are really not the same as virtual desktops, so this regression makes me sad...

Anyway, the next thing I found that's really not ok, is that suspend to RAM doesn't work.
Basically, it wakes up to the final screen (usually black with mouse pointer), no more response after that, caps lock won't react, basically dead...
I tried with the old mga5 kernel as well, no go.
I managed once with CLI "pm-suspend", a second time it failed and got stuck in the "usual" way.

Not very cool, considering that the login is much longer as well...
I did try to figure that one out, a new account does log on within about 10 secs.

So I moved all ~/.config stuff aside and tried again, it did seem a bit faster on the main account.
After fiddling with desktop effects, it got slower again.

Desktop effects (notably grid view of virtual desktops) got the pc to lock up hard a few times. Uncool.

My regression list:
broken Suspend to RAM
broken Suspend to Disk
no more individual wallpapers per virtual desktop
hard lockups when playing with desktop effects that have been problem-free since Mandriva times
no more gapless playback (for concept albums like Misplaced Childhood) - missing in action since about when PulseAudio took over; I know for sure that about 15 years ago it was working fine (after following guides to set things up properly), and at some point, it suddenly wasn't...

All in all, this machine is now not as functional as it was before. :(
artee

Postby isadora » Aug 19th, '17, 17:22

Artee, thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Maybe you already did, or maybe you did not connect the forum for mentioned issues.
Otherwise, i like to advise you, cutting up the remaining questions, and create different topics for each.

isadora

Postby artee » Aug 20th, '17, 10:13

Good news and bad news.

First some good news: I was wrong on the Suspend to Disk / Hibernate functionality, it's not broken.

The bad news: when shutting down the system, it actually doesn't manage to shut down completely, but ends in a kernel panic. Numlock and Capslock blinking, no response to anything.
The nasty part: in this mode (where my wife left it overnight) the pc still uses as much power as when it's on.

I already downloaded the 64 and 32 bit images to support the torrent and to have them for my use.
Perhaps a clean install is what the doctor orders.
(According to Ktorrent, my server uploaded over 125GB of 64 bit Mageia 5.1 and over 70GB of the 32 bit Mga 5.1 image.)

Too bad, if a clean install is what it takes.
I recently upgraded a Mandriva 10.2 laptop all the way to Mageia 5. Without graphics working most of the way. System wouldn't boot from USB or optical drive, so it was either upgrade or trash it.
artee

Postby liao » Nov 8th, '17, 15:05

Hi..... Linux Mageia old version of C-compiler - why is it critical for some applications software ?
liao

Return to MAQeia