[MAQeia] Skype (32 and 64 bits)

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

Re: [MAQeia] Skype (32 and 64 bits)

Postby barjac » Mar 21st, '13, 15:18

Make sure you have 32bit core and core updates repositories enabled (if you are running a 64bit system)
Update your system either in mcc or by using:
Code: Select all
su
urpmi --auto-update -v

then try again.
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby zexcel » Apr 7th, '13, 23:58

Hello. I have problems with using microphone in skype too. I tried to set different level of volume in pavucontrol but it didn't help. Can anyone help me?
In Audacity I have two fields for microphone. When I set 1 chanel of voice and HDA Intel MID : ALC272 Analog into the right field, and anything in the left - there's recording. When I set into the right field anything else - I can't record anything.
zexcel

Postby barjac » Apr 8th, '13, 00:43

Did you try the suggestions detailed from this post onwards?
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?p=15907#p15907
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby zexcel » Apr 8th, '13, 00:55

Yes, I did exactly as written.
But still no effect.
zexcel

Postby barjac » Apr 9th, '13, 10:41

Can you please pastebin the output of 'pacmd ls' as described in that post, and put a link here?
barjac

Postby zexcel » Apr 9th, '13, 12:09

Yes, of course.
Here they are.
"Skype" is output of command during the skype call
"Audacity-2-channel" is output when Audacity was recording stereo sound (2-channels) with "pulse" in both fields for microphone (see the png)
"Audacity-left-chanel" is output when sound was been recording in mono-mode with microphone "Intel-blah-blah" in left channel and "pulse" in right channel (In this mode sound wasn't recorded)
"Audacity-right-channel" is output when "Intel" was in right channel and "pulse" was in left channel (and the sound was recorded)
Thank you for the help
Attachments
Sound.tar.gz
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
zexcel

Postby colin » Apr 9th, '13, 13:11

This is likely one of those lovely microphones where there are two channels that are exactly out of phase and therefore cancel each other out.

In Skype, you should uncheck the option which says "Allow Skype to control my mixer levels", then in pavucontrol, click the little box that allows for independent control of the left+right channels for the mic and set the right channel to 0 and use only the left channel for controlling the mic level. Does this work OK for you? (i.e. remove audacity completely from the picture using only Skype and pavucontrol)

I cannot remember what the current status of the problem with such mics is and whether there is a fix for it at the kernel side or whether we have to quirk them in PA... I'll check with some upstream colleagues about that.

In the mean time, can you post/attach the output of the alsa-info.sh script? You can download it via the link on this still very sparse, but soon to be expanded page: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Support:Debu ... ndProblems

Cheers!
colin

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 9th, '13, 20:28

colin wrote:this still very sparse, but soon to be expanded page: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Support:Debu ... ndProblems

*awardscolinwithamedal* ;)
I've added some little bits on the Discussion tab of that page, feel free to reuse that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zexcel » Apr 9th, '13, 20:40

I have unchecked option in Skype long time ago. But I found interesting thing. If I close pavucontrol and then start it again, button of independent control of the channels is turned on. I just can't turn it down. Maybe this is the main purpose of the problem? And skype hasn't worked properly yet.
Should I start the script during the skype call or just without any sound programm?

And yes, don't know why, but when i start new skype call the levels of microphone become equal. Even with unchecked option of controlling level

One more thing. When I plug in external microphone in jack Skype hear me. Even when levels of channel are equal.
zexcel

Postby colin » Apr 9th, '13, 23:54

Oh, this might be a different issue then (tho' I wouldn't rule it out completely). Perhaps we're simply not switching from external to internal mixer controls properly....

Can you post two runs of "pacmd list-sources" while in a test call, both with and without the external mic plugged in?

Cheers
colin

Postby zexcel » Apr 10th, '13, 11:30

Yes, delivered.
Attachments
Skype-without-external-mic.txt
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Skype-with-external-mic.txt
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
zexcel

Postby colin » Apr 10th, '13, 11:46

OK, I think I see the problem here.

It seems your sound card mic has three ports:

These are listed as follows:

ports:
                analog-input-microphone-internal: Встроенный микрофон (priority 8900, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
                        properties:
                                device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
                analog-input: Аналоговый ввод (priority 10000, latency offset 10000 usec, available: unknown)
                        properties:

analog-input-microphone: Микрофон (priority 8700, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
                        properties:
                                device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"

Now, I'm afraid my Russian is a little rusty ;) but thankfully the internal names make sense to me.

When you are not using your external mic the port is set to analog-input. See this from your first attachment:
        active port: <analog-input>

But when you plug in your mic your port is set to analog-input-microphone. See this from your second attachment:
        active port: <analog-input-microphone>

As you can probably tell from now, the third option (actually the first in the list) is never used.... analog-input-microphone-internal. As it's name suggests, this is probably the one you actually want to use! I suspect the "analog-input" is something that is either wired up, but unused or something that can be used for recording things like CD players or similar (although this is not very common these days).

In order to address this, simply open up pavucontrol and with your external microphone unplugged go to the "Input Devices" tab (not sure what it is in Russian locale but it's the 4th tab :)) Here you should be able to change the port from Аналоговый ввод to Встроенный микрофон. This should allow you to record sound via the internal mic. The setting should be remembered across reboots etc. When you plug in your external mic the port should automatically change to Микрофон and when you unplug it again it should revert back to Встроенный микрофон automatically.

I hope that resolves the issue for you!
colin

Postby zexcel » Apr 11th, '13, 00:28

Thank you very much for so much time that you solve my little problem. I changed the port in Pavucontrol, rebooted system and - voila! - nothing happened :) Actually I did it earlier. I tried different ports when external mic was plugged and found that <analog-input> and <analog-input-microphone> produced same sound and <analog-input-microphone-internal> didn't produce any. Even after games with levels of channels

And I wonder why in the line
(priority XXX, latency offset X usec, available: XXX)

for <analog-input> and <analog-input-microphone-internal> when external mic unplugged avaliability is unknown

!!!UPDATE
I found how to make skype to hear my voice.
During the skype call I entered via console to "alsamixer", chose my Intel audiocard (not default), and set level of right channel of microphone to zero. And sound became! At the same time in Pavucontrol level of right channel either "Input audio" and "Internal microphone" automatically was set to about 17.
But the problem is that I can't save this setting. When skype call begins or ends levels of channels in alsamixer become equal again. And setting of level in pavucontrol doesn't give effect
zexcel

Postby zexcel » Apr 28th, '13, 11:06

Hello again!
Any news about microphone and alsamixer?
zexcel

Postby codegazer » May 27th, '13, 20:41

There is a new Linux version of skype available: skype-4.2.0.11 from http://skype.com

Attempting to install the Fedora RPM fails with:

# urpmi skype-4.2.0.11-fedora.i586.rpm
A requested package cannot be installed:
skype-4.2.0.11-fc16.i586 (due to unsatisfied qt[>= 4.6])
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

Update-1: I installed it using:
rpm -i skype-4.2.0.11-fedora.i586.rpm --nodeps

Update-2: Trying to run skype revealed missing library: libQtDBus.so.4.
I searched for libQtDBus.so.4 using rpmdrake and identified package: libqtdbus4 which I installed.

Update-3: tried to run skype again revealed missing library: libQtWebKit.so.4
I searched for libQtWebKit.so.4 using rpmdrake and identified package: libqtwebkit2.2_4 which I also installed.

Update-4: tried to run skype again and this time it worked.
Curiously, the skype splash page showns version 4.1.

Summary: In order to install the Fedora rpm from skype.com the following steps work:

a) Install the libraries Skype will use:
/usr/sbin/urpmi  libqtdbus4 libqtwebkit2.2_4

b) Download and install the Fedora rpm from http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/ ... e=fedora32
Install with:
rpm -i skype-4.2.0.11-fedora.i586.rpm --nodeps

Update-5: I found the reason for the 4.1 version appearing in the splash screen.
It was because I had previously installed skype 4.1 and the binary was in /usr/local/bin/.
So, I renamed: mv /usr/local/bin/skype /usr/local/bin/skype-4.1 and now I get the 4.2 splash screen.
Last edited by codegazer on May 27th, '13, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
codegazer

Postby doktor5000 » May 27th, '13, 22:01

@codegazer: This is not needed, we have the get-skype package for cauldron, updated the day it was released as usual.
I've just added new version and links to the first post. Next time please just reply here so i'll update the post.
I've just forgotten it (after updating Skype locally the day it was released :D )
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby sander85 » May 27th, '13, 22:01

codegazer wrote:There is a new Linux version of skype available: skype-4.2.0.11 from http://skype.com

Just install this package: http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/p ... noarch.rpm
Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing.
-- Richard Stallman
sander85

How to configure USB audio for Skype webcam mike

Postby ghmitch » Jun 18th, '13, 06:01

All of the modern webcams include microphones supported by USB audio. They don't work out of the box as certain audio parameters have to be modified. The levels and default microphone settings in pulse audio are probably obvious, but they have to be taken care of. You can do that with the PA volume control. You are looking for "Input Devices". Your new webam should show up somewhere below your soundcard default capture options. The whole box scrolls, so if you can't see your webcam, don't give up without attempting to scroll down. What is not so obvious is that in addition to Pulse Audio, you have also need to adjust KDE Phonon settings. For that you need to bring up the KDE System Settings and go to Hardware -> Multimedia -> Phonon. Once there, you should see a tab labeled "Device Preference". On that page, you should see your new webcam along with the old audio hardware. MAKE SURE your webcam is the #1 preferred device, because THAT is what Skype is going to select and Skype often does not give you the option of any other device than the #1 preferred device. I just went through this whole process the hard way and hopefully this helps someone else to follow in my footsteps.
ghmitch

Re: How to configure USB audio for Skype webcam mike

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 18th, '13, 20:12

Well, that is already documented in the MAQeia for Skype, no? If not, i'd merge that thread into it ...
----
doktor5000

Postby ghmitch » Jun 18th, '13, 21:22

Well ... :oops: ... you might find it surprising, but I have never even looked at the MAQeia topic before. I just hadn't discovered it yet and didn't think to look in that corner before posting this. So feel free to pull this thread down if you think it might be confusing to someone. I won't be offended.
ghmitch

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 18th, '13, 22:08

No, don't want to pull it down :)
Just thought about attaching it to the MAQeia for Skype, as that topic is best covered there IMHO.

What do you think?
----
doktor5000

Postby ghmitch » Jun 19th, '13, 05:48

Whatever you think is appropriate works for me.
ghmitch

Postby heymanj » Jun 27th, '13, 20:48

Just completed today's (06/27/2013) Magiea 3 updates. Was warned that skype would be removed. Went ahead and did the update, assuming that I would just rerun get-skype.

$ sudo urmpi get-skype
The following packages can't be installed because they depend on packages
that are older than the installed ones:
libdri-drivers-9.1.2-1.mga3
libmesagl1-9.1.2-1.mga3
libqtwebkit2.2_4-2.3.0-1.mga3
get-skype-4.1.0.20-2.mga3.nonfree
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) n
$

Is there an update somewhere, or will the get-skype be updated to handle the depricated packages?

jerry
Software is the difference between hardware and reality
heymanj

Postby barjac » Jun 27th, '13, 21:29

barjac

Postby heymanj » Jun 28th, '13, 02:50

Thank you barjac - that fixed it!
Software is the difference between hardware and reality
heymanj

PreviousNext

Return to MAQeia