[MAQeia] Skype (32 and 64 bits)

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

Re: [MAQeia] Skype (32 and 64 bits)

Postby loqo » Mar 26th, '12, 15:05

Thanks for checking the logs Colin!

1) The volume can be balanced once there's a signal coming through, so I'm not worrying about that just yet.

2) Mic 1 doesn't work - this would seem to be the mic jack (not built-in mic) and I have no mic to plug into it.

I've tried every permutation/combination of settings, to no avail. The problem clearly stems from somewhere deeper.
loqo

Postby colin » Mar 26th, '12, 15:11

In that case, can you run e.g. audacity (where the issue does not present itself and recording works), and record something (ensuring that you can play it back OK too after), and then grab the "pacmd ls" output when it is recording?

If Mic1 is your external mic, don't forget to set things back to Mic 2 again (FWIW, these are now better named in mga2 - and it should automatically flip over when you actually plug an external mic in too which is nice)
colin

Postby loqo » Mar 26th, '12, 15:58

Audacity file attached as requested!
:)
loqo

Postby colin » Mar 26th, '12, 17:56

OK, the main difference here is that Audacity is recording in stereo and skype in Mono.

I wonder if you could be getting bitten by some strange hardware that provides out of phase stereo channels....

Try this:

1. Open pavucontrol.
2. On the "Input devices" tab, uncheck the "lock channels" button and set one channel (e.g. left) to, say, 5% and the other channel (right) to 95%). Basically at opposite ends of the spectrum.
3. Now try making a normal call in skype. Make sure (via pavucontrol) that it's not adjusted the volumes again for you.

Does this now work and record properly?
colin

Postby loqo » Mar 27th, '12, 02:02

Strangely that's fixed it. I did as you suggested (actually I put left to 95%, right to 5%) and Echo can hear me now. Very odd but such a relief.

NB: I needed to run "pavucontrol" from terminal. The sound options (e.g: right-click the desktop volume icon) don't have the right settings. The mic volume there is shown as a single slider and not separate L&R channels. Worth noting.

Really big thanks for tracking down the problem. I'm immensely grateful!!!
:)
loqo

Postby colin » Mar 27th, '12, 11:38

Yeah, this is an odd one to be honest. We're trying to work out better ways of fixing it, but it's tricky as it's hard to know what h/w is affected.

To explain the issue just FYI, the hardware provides a stereo signal, but the signal is out of phase. When skype records, it records in mono, this means that PA will combine the stereo signal it gets from the hardware into a mono signal for skype (i.e. doing the best we can to match what the application wants from what the hardware provides). Sadly, because the signals are out of phase they basically cancel each other out when combining into a mono signal.

Really such mics should just be treated as Mono or have the phase shifted before combining. Either way it's tricky to know when we need to do this and when we don't, but rest assured there will be a solution eventually. Glad you've got a work around for now :)

Take care

Col
colin

Postby codegazer » Jun 15th, '12, 13:32

That's jolly useful, thanks!

I noticed that Skype have a new Linux version 4.0 available today (15th June 2012): http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/ ... ter/linux/

Will installing get-skype again get install version 4.0 now?

Cheers
Paul

Skype 4.0 for Linux details (extracted from the skype page):

Hardware requirements
1 GHz processor or faster.
256 MB RAM.
100 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
Microphone and speakers or headset.
Internet connection – broadband is best (GPRS is not supported for voice calls).
Video card driver with Xv support.

Software requirements
Qt 4.6.0 • D-Bus 1.0.0
libasound2 1.0.18
PulseAudio 1.0 (optional)
BlueZ 4.0.0 (optional)

Technical details
Version 4.0
codegazer

Postby isadora » Jun 15th, '12, 14:00

codegazer wrote:....................

Will installing get-skype again get install version 4.0 now?

No, this will bring up Skype-2.2.0.35.
Skype 4.0.0.7 just made it through the building system towards Cauldron:
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages?view= ... ion=260654
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 18th, '12, 23:09

Updated the MAQeia for the current version.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Wahlgren » Jul 18th, '12, 10:20

Hi

Made a seach for my question and found this thread. I'm experience very high CPU usage during video conversation with latest skype. The installed version is 4.0.0.7-1.mga3.nonfree "noarch"

I previously had version 2.2 installed, but then uninstalled skype 2.2 and replaced with skype 4.

How can I troubleshoot a problem in Linux? Top command shows CPU usage of 122% during video conversation and the temperature on my laptop is above normal.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the same problem was on version 2.2, so it's not Skype 4 that is the problem. I never experieced the high CPU running Skype 4 on Ubuntu 12.04, so think it's some setting with Mageia that causes it. If anyone else experience the same problem it would be nice to know at least.
Wahlgren

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '12, 20:37

As mentioned in the original post, you could try to start Skype directly without the V4L (video4linux) wrapper which is needed with many video devices but causes some problems for other users:

You can try to start Skype directly without this wrapper with this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all
/usr/share/skype/skype
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Wahlgren » Jul 18th, '12, 20:48

doktor5000 wrote:As mentioned in the original post, you could try to start Skype directly without the V4L (video4linux) wrapper which is needed with many video devices but causes some problems for other users:

You can try to start Skype directly without this wrapper with this command in a terminal:

/usr/share/skype/skype

Thank you for the reply. I should have read more carefully trough the original post. Will give it a try.
Wahlgren

Postby raycleve » Jul 23rd, '12, 18:40

Has there been a change in Skype recently? I keep getting a curl 19 when I try do down load "get-skype".
Cheers. Ray
raycleve

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '12, 23:37

Please, some more details - which exact version of the package are you trying to install?
And do you get an curl error 19 when yo try to download the get-skype package itself, or during installation of that when it downloads actual skype binaries?
----
doktor5000

Postby barjac » Jul 24th, '12, 01:54

Mageia 2 has 2.2.0.35
Cauldron has 4.0.0.8
I just checked both Skype download URLs and they work fine with the correct checksums, so either get-skype package should install correctly.

Since curl is not used by the package itself, I assume you are having package download issues - try selecting a different mirror.
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby raycleve » Jul 24th, '12, 03:26

How do I select a different mirror? I used the method suggested in MaQeia and then the second mirror suggested in this column.
Cheers. Ray
raycleve

Postby barjac » Jul 24th, '12, 15:18

Go to MCC (Mageia Control Center) -> Configure Media Sources for Install and Update.
Select all your media (click the top one then shift/click the bottom one so they are all blue) then click the "remove" button and accept to remove all media.
Now hit CTRL/m and click in the dialog box on the "Full set of sources" then "Yes", then select a mirror. (I recommend you expand the FR section and select http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr.... Then just follow the prompts.
If you previously had extra media enabled like tainted then enable it now - also make certain that non-free and non-free/updates are enabled.
Having done that, exit that screen and click on "Update your system"
Now try using "Install and Remove Software" to install get-skype.

Since we still don't know how you were attempting to install it previously and on what system, with which architecture or where you are geographically it's hard to give any further advice.
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby raycleve » Jul 24th, '12, 17:57

Here is what happened. I had to reinstall Mageia 2 KDE 32 bit on my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop, in which I dual-boot with Windows 7. The install went fine. Installed all the updates during Installation. When the reboot had finished I updated my repositories in MCC. I installed Flashplugin from MAQeia. Then I tried to install get-skype from MAQeia. The sytem reported retrieving failed, curl failed: exited with 19. I can install get-skype ffrom Add/Remove Software, but this installs Skype 2. I had been running Skype 4 successfully before I had to reinstall
Cheers Ray.
raycleve

Postby barjac » Jul 24th, '12, 22:09

Ah OK now I understand - I'm not sure where you found a "MAQeia version", but if you simply run this in a terminal you will install the latest version from the Cauldron repo:-
su
urpmi ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/i586/media/nonfree/release/get-skype-4.0.0.8-1.mga3.nonfree.noarch.rpm
barjac

Postby raycleve » Jul 25th, '12, 01:43

barjac,
Thanks. That did the trick.
Cheers. Ray
raycleve

Postby barjac » Jul 25th, '12, 02:25

No problem.
The links at the start of this thread have now been updated by doktor5000 to also point to the correct version.
barjac

Postby unklar » Sep 30th, '12, 10:37

Hi dok!

Vielen Dank für Deine Anleitung und den Tipp mit dem Häkchen.
Skype funktioniert aus dem Stand! :D

Samsung R560
Intel CoreDuo P8400
4GB RAM
Nvidia GT9600M
Intel WiFi Link 5600AGN
GigabitEthernet 88E8055 Marvell
Bluetooth Bradcom 2045
WebCam 1.3M UVC
unklar

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 30th, '12, 13:51

Translation for the english users:

Thank you very much for the instructions and the hint about the check mark.
Skype works out-of-the-box

Now if i'd know which check mark is meant, i'd be more happy :?
----
doktor5000

Postby mgkiwi » Jan 20th, '13, 13:50

Thank you all for this excellent advice. I got Skype working last August, after a few false starts. Recently installed it on my partner's account on the same PC, and I was puzzled that we couldn't hear mic sound on the test call, when all the settings seemed to be the same as on my account. We run KDE and PulseAudio, with Skype 2.2, on a desktop machine with a USB webcam (which has the only active mic, although PulseAudio reports an internal front audio mic - I have to disable this internal one).

After a few days bafflement and comparing settings, I found the issue. All the pavucontrol settings were the same, and KMix was fine too. I had forgotten one: in System settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Audio recording > Communications, I gave priority to the webcam mic. After that, we could hear both voices on the test call.

Maybe that will help someone else. Great work on Mageia, everyone :)
Mageia 8 for x86_64, Asus ROG Strix X570-E, Ryzen 7 Octa-core 3700X, Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700, 32 GB RAM
mgkiwi

Postby astro_sutradhar » Mar 21st, '13, 07:55

getting this error

urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/m ... noarch.rpm
The following packages can't be installed because they depend on packages
that are older than the installed ones:
libgio2.0_0-2.32.1-2.mga2
libqtwebkit2.2_4-2.2.1-4.mga2
get-skype-4.1.0.20-2.mga3.nonfree
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) y
While some packages may have been installed, there were failures.
The following packages can't be installed because they depend on packages
that are older than the installed ones:
libgio2.0_0-2.32.1-2.mga2
libqtwebkit2.2_4-2.2.1-4.mga2
get-skype-4.1.0.20-2.mga3.nonfree
astro_sutradhar

PreviousNext

Return to MAQeia