[HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit deps

Here you'll find the "Mostly Asked Questions" about Mageia.

Before getting to support forum, have a look here... there are great chances that MAQeia can help...

[HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit deps

Postby ITA84 » Jul 25th, '19, 09:50

In Mageia 7 64-bit installations your 32-bit media sources aren't enabled by default, in order to reduce the sources to check when installing or updating 64-bit packages. However, when trying to install packages like Steam and Wine which also have 32-bit package dependencies you'll get a cryptic error message after failure: this is because the dependency resolver (urpmi or dnf) has no way of knowing that the missing dependencies are in the disabled 32-bit media sources.

Therefore, if you want to install a package with 32-bit dependencies (or if you see that a package 'cannot be installed' but don't know the dependencies in advance, you may try this all the same), you can follow either one of these procedures:

• From the Mageia Control Center: in Software Management -> Configure media sources for install and update, you should have a list of configured media sources: tick the Enabled boxes next to both the Core 32-bit Release and Core 32-bit Updates media that should be on the list; you may also want to enable Core 32-bit Nonfree and Tainted media (Release and Update) if you have the respective 64-bit media enabled; then confirm and update your system before you try installing the packages you want again
  • From the commandline (urpmi): open the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file (must have root privileges) and you will see several sections named like the media sources in your system; find the sections with Core 32-bit in their name (see above), and you should see a line with 'ignore' inside each of them: simply remove that line for all those media sources, and then run the command 'urpmi.update -a' (still with root privileges) to make sure all the media sources are updated; alternatively you can use the command in doktor5000's post (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12952#p75926 - bash-completion works)
  • From the commandline (dnf): as currently noted in the Mageia Wiki (https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Using_DNF#Install_and_Setup), you can use the command 'dnf config-manager --set-enabled <repository list>' (with root privileges), where <repository list> is the list of the 32-bit repositories defined for dnf and separated by spaces: they are 'mageia-i586 updates-i586 mageia-x86_64-nonfree updates-x86_64-nonfree' (I don't have dnf configured, so I can't verify)
Please note that while the first two procedures are equivalent, the third one is not, as dnf uses a separate configuration from the Mageia Control Center and urpmi. Please also note that there may be another procedure you could use with the newer Mageia Panel, but it should be similar to the first procedure.

If you find any issues or inaccuracies in this post please let me know so I can fix them
Last edited by ITA84 on Jul 29th, '19, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
ITA84

Re: [HOWTO] Install 64bit Steam, Wine or packages w/ 32bit d

Postby isadora » Jul 25th, '19, 11:06

Thanks ITA84 , great contribution.
I moved it to our hints- and tips-section, MAQeia. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 27th, '19, 10:49

ITA84 wrote:From the commandline (urpmi): open the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file (must have root privileges) and you will see several sections named like the media sources in your system; find the sections with Core 32-bit in their name (see above), and you should see a line with 'ignore' inside each of them: simply remove that line for all those media sources, and then run the command 'urpmi.update -a' (still with root privileges) to make sure all the media sources are updated

Instead of editing a file, why not simply do this
Code: Select all
urpmi.update --no-ignore "Core 32bit Release"
urpmi.update --no-ignore "Core 32bit Updates"
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Jul 29th, '19, 09:23

Wouldn't that only update the disabled sources once? If so, this could create problems if there are any 32-bit package updates later. I'm asking because I'm not really an expert and have only used like 1% of the options uprmi offers
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 29th, '19, 18:00

ITA84 wrote:Wouldn't that only update the disabled sources once?

No, that's permanent.

[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[17:59:49]─[~] man urpmi.update|grep no-ignore
--ignore, --no-ignore
Don't update media, but mark them as ignored (that is, disables them). --no-ignore has the reverse behaviour: it marks the media as enabled.
[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[17:59:54]─[~
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Jul 29th, '19, 19:21

Got it. Added to the OP, thanks for your suggestion!
ITA84

Return to MAQeia