EOL for MandrivaUser.de

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

EOL for MandrivaUser.de

Postby wobo » Dec 1st, '12, 03:38

I am sorry to inform you that by end of December 2012 the German community project "MandrivaUser.de" [http://mandrivauser.de] will close shop for good.

1. Reasons for closing the project

After the fork "Mageia" came to life in September 2010 almost all active members of MandrivaUser.de decided to follow this new path in 2 waves:
- most active people and supporters of the Mandriva distribution (packagers, translators, usw. ) changed right after Mageia was founded. Their reasons were similar to other people's reasons (disappointment with Mandriva, community nature of Mageia, etc.).
- the rest followed after release of Mandriva Desktop 2011.0 and first release of Mageia. Reasons were the unclear and stagnating policy of Mandriva as well as the successful launch of Mageia 1.
- there was no substantial stream of new Mandriva users, as is customary after a new release. Quite to the contrary we experienced a last wave of emigrants due to the lack of acception of the new Mandriva release.

The consequences were discussed in public (first in September 2011, then in September 2012), resulting in an almost unanimous decision to close the project end of this year.

2. Why is this relevant for Mageia users?

The direct impact is that with the project MandrivaUser.de the Mageia mirror of our server will close down as well. A couple of days (around Christmas) I will erase this mirror from the list of Mageia mirrors (or will notify Mageia sysadmins if I have no permission to do that).

A less direct relation may be the closing of the German wiki and the picture gallery. If anybody is interested in the contents of these 2 sections, go and get what you want before it's closed. :)

On behalf of all members of MandrivaUser.de and from the bottom of my heart I want to express my thanks for your support and friendship over all those years.

Wolfgang Bornath (wobo)
Founder & Admin of MandrivaUser.de
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Re: EOL for MandrivaUser.de

Postby isadora » Dec 1st, '12, 09:34

Which also means, i have to miss my favourite mirrors? :(
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Dec 1st, '12, 12:00

Yes, sorry. As a related info: Juergen Harms told me that Switch is reorganizing and extending their hardware, after that they will possibly mirror Mageia - meaning: 5-6 months waiting. Switch (Switzerland) is reliable, fast, and well maintained.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby leuhmanu » Dec 1st, '12, 20:23

Oh thanks, this remind me to save the wonderful page of the mud wiki that I have as booksmark.

Personally I use the esslingen mirror when I'm by my parents as it's seems it the nearest and fastest from them.
Help the bugsquad !
leuhmanu

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 1st, '12, 20:28

FWIW, as Esslingen syncs from distrib-coffee, due to it's recent outage i've switched to http://mirrors.mageia.org/mirrors/ftp.nluug.nl and it's reliable and fast enough for me :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Dec 1st, '12, 22:51

BTW: There is a good chance that I will keep the wiki and the picture gallery plus the MagDriva magazines in an archive (ro) at least for a year. Decisions about that will come in January. It will be easy to find, I will keep the domain anyway.

Meanwhile: nothing will be lost, I will save all contents locally.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby marja » Dec 3rd, '12, 09:37

wobo wrote:BTW: There is a good chance that I will keep the wiki and the picture gallery plus the MagDriva magazines in an archive (ro) at least for a year. Decisions about that will come in January. It will be easy to find, I will keep the domain anyway.

Meanwhile: nothing will be lost, I will save all contents locally.

Ah, it would be great if you could keep them online somewhere :)

I didn't get around to downloading the whole lot, yet
marja

Postby wobo » Dec 3rd, '12, 10:24

Don't get overly excited about all this :)
The contents of the wiki and other stuff will definitely be archived online, if not by me then by somebody else.
wobo
---
wobo

Return to News and announcements