End of life Mageia 1

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

End of life Mageia 1

Postby isadora » Nov 5th, '12, 21:19

Our first release is reaching it's end of life, where it concerns support.
Since every release is supported for a period of 18 months, MGA1 is close reaching this point.

More reading at our blog:
http://blog.mageia.org/en/2012/11/05/ma ... ching-eol/
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: End of life Mageia 1

Postby hintzy64 » Nov 6th, '12, 23:48

They grow up so fast... :cry:
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
---
Biostar A770E3, AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition (Quad 3.6 GHz), 8 GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580, 8 GB GDDR5
hintzy64

Postby zugunder » Nov 7th, '12, 22:34

Hi,
Speaking about update to Mageia 2 - how will the updater treat the self-made packages and those that have been installed from 3rd party repos? Especially if the installed version is newer than that in Mageia2 repo?

Thank you.
zugunder

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 7th, '12, 23:51

Well, it will not treat them at all, as it doesn't know about those. Technically those packages are recognized as newer,
and will not be replaced, and due to inter-package dependencies that may lead to only a partial update.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zugunder » Nov 8th, '12, 00:41

OK, I see. So the ideal way to update is to roll back to the latest packages from the official repos...
zugunder

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 8th, '12, 01:20

Yep, exactly, as that is the supported scenario which quality assurance applies to, and which is extensively tested.
FWIW, the following command will show you the major part of non-Mageia packages:
Code: Select all
rpm -qa | grep -vE 'gpg|mga|noarch'

But beware, as there could also be some noarch packages from 3rd party repos, or some that also use .mga as distsuffix,
but newer versions.

But there's another command which may come in handy:
Code: Select all
urpmq --not-available

Lists all packages which are not available via the currently configured repositories, so also helps identify testing packages.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zugunder » Nov 8th, '12, 05:35

Thanks, doctor, for your help. But I'd better wait till M3 beta and will make a clean install - I will need to rearrange partitions anyway.
zugunder

Postby macxi » Nov 16th, '12, 18:48

Hi,
News of site Softpedia: Mageia 1 Will Die on December 1, 2012 - By Marius Nestor ( November 16th, 2012, 12:24 GMT ):

We are sorry to announce that the Mageia 1 operating system will reach end-of-life (EOL) in approximately two weeks, on Saturday, December 1, 2012.
macxi

Postby wobo » Nov 16th, '12, 22:16

macxi wrote:
    We are sorry to announce that the Mageia 1 operating system will reach end-of-life (EOL) in approximately two weeks, on Saturday, December 1, 2012.
Oh, nice they read the Mageia blog as of Nov 5th. :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby macxi » Dec 2nd, '12, 20:22

wobo wrote:
macxi wrote:
Oh, nice they read the Mageia blog as of Nov 5th. :)

Wobo,

After news of the blog, other news on the internet

Mageia Blog:
    Mageia 1 EOL (Posted on December 2, 2012 by tmb)
    Mageia 1 has now reached EOL (end of life) and will not receive any further security or bugfix updates.
    You are encouraged to upgrade to Mageia 2 to remain fully updated.
    Please see here for more information on upgrading.

News:
macxi

Postby DiBosco » Dec 2nd, '12, 21:28

What's the down side to sticking with M1 for the time being? Are there any serious security risks?
DiBosco

Postby Max » Dec 3rd, '12, 13:40

DiBosco wrote:What's the down side to sticking with M1 for the time being? Are there any serious security risks?

The Mageia Council will come to your house and bash your kneecaps with foam hammers until you upgrade. :P

But seriously, all the packages in Mga1 will no longer receive updates, including security updates. This means that if, say, a security flaw is discovered in the browser that you use it won't get patched and your computer (and all the data on it) will be potentially at risk.
Updating is a smooth and painless operation that can be run while you sleep (it does take a while). I did it to three of my computers without any difficulty.
Max

Postby DiBosco » Dec 3rd, '12, 13:51

:D I will bolt my door and not let those pesky Mag Mafia anywhere near my kneecaps!

Updating things like Firefox is no big deal at all. Obviously, things like the kernel are much more of a hassle.

In my experience, the upgrade to a new version of the OS simply doesn't work and a fresh install is much, much easier; it's something I do on my desktop without any thought. However, on my laptop it was a long and painful process to get it just right, and I don't want to go through that again. I think I will wait until M3 and upgrade then. At least I'll get another eighteen months then, but IMHO, we need an LTS version.
DiBosco

Postby macxi » Dec 3rd, '12, 15:25

DiBosco wrote:I think I will wait until M3 and upgrade then. At least I'll get another eighteen months then, but IMHO, we need an LTS version.

I'm already with Mageia 2 installed in desktop and notebook, and it is very good, nice and updated. But I kept a partition with Mageia 1, I still use, mostly because I really like to use Kmail (KDE emals manager) that is very good (light and stable) in Mageia 1, but is still kind of slow and unstable in Mageia 2, so I'm still testing.

So I think like you, I will first wait for the "Mageia 3" arrives. Only then I will definitely leave "Mageia 1".
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 4th, '12, 00:05

DiBosco wrote:At least I'll get another eighteen months then, but IMHO, we need an LTS version.

Get more contributors to join the QA team, and help report/resolve bug reports, or get more people interested in packaging.
We won't get an LTS version out of the blue, it's quite hard to support three distro releases concurrently, let alone a longterm support version.
http://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/
----
doktor5000

Return to News and announcements