We finally did it: Mageia 1 is available!

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

Re: We finally did it: Mageia 1 is available!

Postby wobo » Jun 30th, '11, 14:09

dubigrasu wrote:As I said, the words Mageia community (in article) are misleading, that's why I asked if it has something to do with the actual community. Didn't knew about this Mageia Community council being something totally different than this (People) Community, sorry about that.
It is not. Please do read the page about the governance model and you will see theat there is a structure which goes from the single user up to the chair of the board and back down again. In so far, each member of the community, you, me and each other who does not stay isolated but participates in the forum, the lists wherever, is as well a part of the community as the team members, the team leaders, the council members, the board.
Mageia does NOT decide against delivering non-free / proprietary drivers.

I'm talking about the decision to use a free software DVD, no matter who's decision was.

Well, it was discussed in public, and in the end decided by many people, evaluating the public discussions. In principle it was the decision to continue the same way it was at Mandriva, delivering both: a media with and without non-free software. So, nothing new.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby dubigrasu » Jun 30th, '11, 15:42

OK wobo, thanks for the answers and guidance.
dubigrasu

Postby wobo » Jun 30th, '11, 23:47

No problem, I just hate it when editors write poorly researched reviews and draw their "conclusions" from wrong information.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby trensol » Jul 25th, '11, 02:26

Hello!

Just replaced my Mandriva 2010.2 with Mageia 1, after a preliminary install on an extra drive I had... just in case :). It seems to be playing very nice with all my hardware, and thank you for allowing ALSA use with no pulseaudio. Without getting into details, it also seem to be much cleaner than what Mandriva has unfortunately become.
Good job to all involved. I hope to see this distro thrive.

P.S.

I have been using Mandriva since 8.x(Mandrake):(
trensol

Postby ah7013 » Aug 1st, '11, 14:39

I finally got around to installing Mageia 1 on my laptop and I am very impressed. :D

Thanks for all the hard work put in to make Mageia 1 happen.
Mageia 2 x86_64, KDE 4.8.5 on a Thinkpad Edge E520 - Intel Core i7-2640M 2.8GHZ, 16GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz
Mageia 2 x86_64, KDE 4.8.5 on a Dell Studio 1555 - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 8GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz
ah7013

Postby penguinclaw » Sep 8th, '11, 02:06

A hearty congratulations from me! Recently I've had issues with my choice of hardware and getting it running properly (18 months of issues in fact since Pulseaudio came along.....) in Linux. But you guys have set up a powerful desktop configuration tool (far better than the original Mandriver one; which always fouled up everything) and I get a beautiful looking desktop at the same time... almost out of the box. I'm loving Kde 4.6 and I am impressed with boot times. I am new to this distro but I feel like I want to stay here as this is refreshingly good!
penguinclaw

Postby Jan178 » Oct 11th, '11, 12:43

Hi! I´ve been using Mageia for two days, and i´m impressed! Looks to me, that finally this could be the one replacement for Ubuntu, and i was really glad that Mageia LTS is (hopefully) behind the corner.
Congratulations and big thanks!
Jan178

Postby bugs2rl » Oct 12th, '11, 14:38

:geek:
frankone wrote:Thank you!!!

Makes me also very happy!! For me it is a lot of fun to get around with it!! Good luck to all the others, including Mozilla: Firefox ("6.0.1" ("default update channel")) seems to be having difficulties!

Result of trying to send messages via Mozilla Firefox:
"Umleitungsfehler - Die aufgerufene Website leitet die Anfrage so um, dass sie nie beendet werden kann.
Dieses Problem kann manchmal auftreten, wenn Cookies deaktiviert oder abgelehnt werden."

Last edited by bugs2rl on Oct 12th, '11, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
bugs2rl

Postby bugs2rl » Oct 12th, '11, 14:48

:geek:
wobo wrote:No problem, I just hate it when editors write poorly researched reviews and draw their "conclusions" from wrong information.
I don't. To read about problems of others even trying to write reports also is even more fun!
bugs2rl

Postby bugs2rl » Oct 13th, '11, 06:39

8-)
dubigrasu wrote:Let's hope not, they better use white magic instead :)
!!
bugs2rl

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 13th, '11, 11:04

bugs2rl wrote:Good luck to all the others, including Mozilla: Firefox ("6.0.1" ("default update channel")) seems to be having difficulties!

Result of trying to send messages via Mozilla Firefox:
"Umleitungsfehler - Die aufgerufene Website leitet die Anfrage so um, dass sie nie beendet werden kann.
Dieses Problem kann manchmal auftreten, wenn Cookies deaktiviert oder abgelehnt werden."

Firefox is already at 7.0.1 with latest Mageia updates. Also the problem seems to come from the fact
that you seem to have disabled cookies? No problem with posting here with Firefox.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jbarntt » Oct 15th, '11, 20:19

I had an older PC laying around: AMD Athlon 64 CPU, Nvidia mobo video, 1 GB Ram. Decided to use it for a *nix OS. Fedora Live CD didn't seem to like my video card at all, couldn't do anything with it. Mandriva 2011 installed fine, but the system updater couldn't update the system, (and the KDE implementation was beyond ugly).

So I downloaded the Mageia 1.0 live CD and it worked like a charm. Installed to the hdd and did a system update; total time - 2 hours. Not bad.

KRDC in RDP mode didn't work, even after the update, but the package manager came up with gremote when I searched. Installed and I can connect to my companies terminal server.

Sound works fine. Put a music CD in and played it with Dragon Player. Haven't figured out how to get Adobe Flash for Youtube yet, but not important.

I wanted a C compiler/IDE, again the package manager offered me Geany. Installed it. Haven't used it but looks fine.

Very nice distro, easy to install, update and use. Default KDE GUI interface is very nice. I have fond memories of Mandrake and early Mandriva releases, (going back to Mandrake 6 or 7), and Mageia 1.0 is a fine successor to those older releases, much more so than the current Mandriva.

Thanks
jbarntt

Postby Mag » Nov 17th, '11, 00:29

I really works well :) in Virtual Box on Windows XP with KDE with 384 MB of RAM (but I'm wrong, then I fixed it), other important distributions KDE I can not install because the installer tells me that I have enough memory. But less than 512 because I have 1 GB of RAM on Windows and I can not give much in Virtual Box ... .. When you no longer need to use Windows I install it ...
Join us in creating the world day/week/month: Free and Open. By Mag... Also see: List International World Day.
One of the good things of Live CDs is that you can use Linux when and where you want included on borrowed computers or work :P
Mag

Postby metaleeck » Nov 25th, '11, 12:50

Congrats you made it official!!!
metaleeck

Postby ruel24 » Nov 27th, '11, 19:17

Fyr, this is where you're completely wrong.

Mageia is not a fork, of a fork of a fork. Mageia forked Mandriva, which was its own distro. There are very few distros out there that didn't fork either from Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, or Red Hat or another distro that forked from them. Mandriva forked from Red Hat long ago, and has been a distro created from the ground up ever since. Mageia has done the same to Mandriva, and stands on its own.

Mandriva is a for-profit company, that has found itself in dire financial straits. Mageia was formed by developers that either resigned or were let go by Mandriva because they were going belly up. Mageia is a community based distro that doesn't depend on making a profit to stay alive, so it's future is more concrete (think Debian...Gentoo). The latest release of Mandriva has not made the Mandriva faithful very happy. It's evident that Mandriva has lost its way. They claim to have stopped the flow of red ink, but that does not mean they have a future. This board isn't, yet, teaming with activity because the distro is new. However, Mandriva, which is a very old distro, is somewhat of a ghost town these days. I believe many of the older Mandriva users from its heyday are either using Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS, these days.

I'm sorry about the Russian translation problems, but Mageia is still in its infancy. PCLinuxOS didn't support any language except English for a long time. Now, that has changed. Mageia will take time to get all the pieces in place. No distro was a home run out of the gate, and Mageia definitely has a bright future.
ruel24

Postby jetcoasterlove » Dec 8th, '11, 03:05

Just discovered mageia and got to say that I'm loving it even more than linux mint (which I was obsessed with for some time now). Good job with this! :D
jetcoasterlove

Postby wobo » Dec 8th, '11, 20:42

Test for the doctor, pls ignore!
(see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1556)
wobo
---
wobo

Postby raycleve » Dec 9th, '11, 02:36

I finally got Mageia 1 installed properly on my computer. I really like the way it looks so far. It was just a bad installation, reinstalled and every thing is well.
Congratulations on a great release.
Cheers. Ray
raycleve

Postby hewiak » Feb 9th, '12, 11:42

I really wanted this to work. I donated - twice! I waited, and waited. Sorry, Mageia, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! I need a distro that works, so I will be switching away from Mageia to...God knows what--something with plugins and features every other distro manages to get working.
hewiak

Postby wobo » Feb 9th, '12, 12:21

hewiak wrote:I really wanted this to work. I donated - twice! I waited, and waited. Sorry, Mageia, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! I need a distro that works, so I will be switching away from Mageia to...God knows what--something with plugins and features every other distro manages to get working.
Thanks for your time to write down your feelings.

Well, waiting time was over in last year's June. Of course I can not say anything about the rest of your post because for the great majority of users here Mageia just works. It would be helpful to describe in detail what did not work for you (pls use another thread in the matching section of this forum). A look into these sections will surely help solving your problems.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby tkmm » May 6th, '12, 16:51

Congratulations, Mageia team for a job well done!

I have used many distributions of Linux in the past and recently decided to switch back to Linux from FreeBSD. I installed Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, and a few others and didn't care for them very much, but I was tired of running FreeBSD and having to 'fight' with it to get things working my way.

Quite by accident I came across Mageia and decided to give it a shot...And I'm glad that I did! My very first Linux distro ever was Mandrake 8.0 and later 8.2 which I used for quite some time before switching to RedHat 7.something. Somewhere between researching Mandrake/Mandriva I heard whispers of Mageia and how it came to be. I continued onward to the Mageia site and decided to give the LiveCD a fair try not really expecting not to have some video card/wifi card issues that I had with other distributions. However, Mageia hasn't had any graphics glitches and my Belkin n150(F9L1001) was detected and works smoothly. Combined with some other coincidences not pertaining to computers I knew I had to install this distro!

I installed Mageia and was impressed with the simplicity of it's install and disk partition tools. The fact that I could choose Gnome instead of KDE was also a big plus for me. Next I decided to customize my installation and see what kind of power was availble to me. I enjoyed the GUIs and graphics, but the command line tools work well also. It took me a few minutes to install gcc and figure out some of the other little CLI quirks, but I instantly began to feel like Mageia had given me the best of the Mandrake and Redhat worlds. Managing packages with RPM is relatively easy to learn and it appears -tho I've not yet tried - that YUM support can be installed.

I am ecstatic to have a Linux distribution that strikes a wonderful balance between "It can do ANYTHING" and "EVERYTHING just works." A good friend of mine loves another popular Linux distro (one word, first letter U) and I tried that and didn't care much for it as it made feel that I was 'locked' out of a lot useful options. I am looking forward to contributing whatever I can to the Mageia project/s because I agree with your values and Mageia 1 really feels like /home to me. In the last two weeks I've installed probably a dozen different BSD and Linux distributions, but none of them were as honest, useful, and stable as Mageia.

Keep up the good work and thank you for standing out as a powerful, professional, and magickal alternative in a field that seems at time to be dominated by greedy corporations and flashy-but-limited distributions.

-Trevor
0x4D616765696120757365722073696E63652056657273696F6E2D31
tkmm

Postby doktor5000 » May 6th, '12, 17:17

tkmm wrote:I am looking forward to contributing whatever I can to the Mageia project/s because I agree with your values and Mageia 1 really feels like /home to me.

Feel free to take a look at http://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/ or https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Contributing for that ;)
And welcome onboard :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby filip » May 6th, '12, 20:08

Thank you Trevor. It is nice to read your review. And to quote doktor5000: welcome onboard!
filip

Postby tkmm » May 6th, '12, 22:19

Thanks for the warm welcome, Doktor and Filip!

I looked at the contribution links briefly and I will try to get involved with the marcom and documentation teams soon to see what I may be able to do to help. I am looking forward to integrating into the Mageia community!
0x4D616765696120757365722073696E63652056657273696F6E2D31
tkmm

Previous

Return to News and announcements