Our baby is growing!

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

Our baby is growing!

Postby ennael » May 22nd, '12, 22:40

Hi all

So here it is! Mageia 2 final release is out.

- new web site layout: http://mageia.org
- blog announcement: http://blog.mageia.org/en/2012/05/22/mageia-2
- download isos: https://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/
- release notes: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Release_Notes
- errata: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_Errata

Thanks everybody for all the hard work during these last months. I guess we can be proud if this release and we hope you will enjoy this new version.

Big thanks for last run to tmb and QA team who did not sleep a lot these last days :)

Spread Mageia 2 and enjoy!
ennael

Re: Our baby is growing!

Postby norberto » May 22nd, '12, 23:21

good goood goooooooooooooooooodddddddddddd WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FANTASTIC
CONGRATULATION FOR ALL THE TEAM OF MAGEIA
norberto

Postby rjaleel » May 22nd, '12, 23:43

LiveCD-KDE-64bit seems to be perfect enough in running and installing on my desktop and laptop. WELL DONE, CONGRATULATIONS and a BIG THANK YOU to ALL of MAGEIA's TEAM.
rjaleel

Postby Agust » May 23rd, '12, 07:32

Just !!!CONGRATULATION FOR ALL THE TEAM OF MAGEIA!!!

Thanks!
Agust
"Yo soy como soy"
Artist Enlightenment
Agust

Postby goofball » May 23rd, '12, 09:33

Hi folks,

a big thank you for yet another top-notch release - it's an absolute joy to use Mageia 2!
Keep up the excellent work! 8-)

Best wishes,

Gerhard
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
we were all equal in the end.
- Roger Waters
goofball

Postby dave » May 23rd, '12, 09:57

The new site is wonderful, today i must upgrade my mageia!
dave

Postby isolde » May 23rd, '12, 14:35

goofball, I couldn't agree more, it's a joy to have Mageia 2 on my computer. Love it.
isolde

Postby PiElle » May 23rd, '12, 20:25

I've just downloaded the ISO image. :)
I'm going to Install 2 pretty soon! :D
PiElle

Postby zeke » May 24th, '12, 00:01

Will there be an OTA upgrade for Mageia1?

Congratulations on this release!!! The little distro that could! Best there is IMHO

:D
zeke

Postby mla » May 25th, '12, 12:23

Well done, gentlemen! It looks really good and behaves itself well. What is more, I am delighted to see that you have resolved the issue of Nvidia drivers being installed automatically as a part of the standard installation process.

I'll be upgrading the family machine to the new baby a.s.a.p. Thank you for all your efforts!
mla

Postby PiElle » May 25th, '12, 13:02

mla wrote:Well done, gentlemen! It looks really good and behaves itself well. What is more, I am delighted to see that you have resolved the issue of Nvidia drivers being installed automatically as a part of the standard installation process.

Works very well and looks beautifull (modern, elegant and polished). 8-)
Moreover, it's the first distro I have used which automatically installs the Nvidia drivers during the installation process ... :P
PiElle

Postby isadora » May 25th, '12, 14:09

mla wrote:Well done, gentlemen!.................

And please, don't forget the ladies. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby mla » May 25th, '12, 16:39

Touche! :-) Well done ladies and gentlemen!
mla

Postby pvossen » May 25th, '12, 22:57

Congrats Mageia Team and Contributors. It was is a brilliant upgrade.

I have just finished the upgrade to Mageia 2. It couldn't have been more flawless. The only
thing I had to do was click the tainted or non-free repositories after reboot. Otherwise,
it was the easiest and least troublesome upgrade I've ever done on a linux computer. Well
for that fact easier than Windows. I didn't even have to use a disk. I used the gui update
applet and it ran like a charm.

Patrick
pvossen

Postby Kuchuk » Jun 25th, '12, 13:24

I installed Mageia 2 couple of days ago. Well, it (Mageia 2) looks very nice indeed. Very elegant, fast, not too demanding and rather well-optimized for the user (talking about KDE now).

Just one thing - KDE installation did not work from install CD. It refused to run GUI, dropping me back to text interface. LXDE installation worked though. I had to burn another CD and re-install Mageia 2 from Live CD. Then it worked perfectly! Thanks for the work.
Kuchuk

Postby rijnsma » Jul 7th, '12, 21:50

Very very nice shorter period ranking on Distrowatch...! :D
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby loneskeeper » Jul 10th, '12, 00:24

I gotta say. I've been experimenting several linux systems since the first release of Ubuntu. Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse (arghh), Mandriva, and other not so well know distributions. But, for some reason or other I always went back to Windows, not that I like it more than Linux, but mainly bacause of compatibility issues (office, graphics card ...).
But, I'm done with Windows. It's not so fast, it lacks the good security measures that linux has, it's commercial and closed source (so, whe never know if they really been honest with us... ...). And, I'm done with that crap, since the last infection with a trojan that the antivirus detected, but too late. I'm mainly a internet user. Sometimes I like to watch videos and listen to some music. Mageia gives me all that. And, with a beautiful and well organized desktop interface (I'm using GHNOME 3.) What can I ask more? I know there are some bugs here and there. But nothing really big. And I know that, with time, things are going to be even better.
And now that I installed Opera 12 (an amazing browser. The mainstream minds don't know what they're losing), it's the perfect operating system for my informatic needs.
Thank you Mageia team.
I'm not an engineer or programmer but, whatever you need that I can do, I'm here to help.
Congratulations for this wonderful GNU/Linux operating system.
loneskeeper

Postby filip » Jul 10th, '12, 13:48

Nice to read that loneskeeper. Welcome.
loneskeeper wrote:I'm not an engineer or programmer but, whatever you need that I can do, I'm here to help.
Great. Did you read page about contribution? I'm sure you'll find something for yourself. We all can benefit from your part in a way. AFAIK the biggest need right now is in "Testing & QA" team.
filip

Postby punkunity » Jul 12th, '12, 03:36

First time installing Mageia, of any kind, is this version 2! I have been on all the *buntus, Fedora, Arch, Bodhi, YellowDog, Debian, Mint, etc... This is BY FAR the best OS out there so far! I am excited to join this community, here on the forums, and as well as on IRC! I might be joining the QA team to contribute, dont know what esle or how else I can help. Anyways, thank you to the devs/team. See you guys around!
punkunity

Postby thesleeplessdream » Aug 29th, '12, 00:07

So far, I am loving Mageia. Atm, I don't know a lot about programming, but I'm hoping to fix that through the coming years. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to gather enough support to take Mageia and port it to PowerPC with the goal of creating a light, but STABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and modern distro that could run on G3 or new hardware, 320MB of ram or higher and an install no larger than 5GB using an LXDE environment paired with the Midori web browser, Abiword, Gnumeric, VLC (or another light media player) or an XFCE environment paired with Firefox, Libreoffice and Totem (with all the "dirty" plugins ^_^)...
thesleeplessdream

Postby sleepy » Sep 25th, '12, 02:43

I got Mageia up and running this weekend. Install went great, even my dual monitor setup. I think it's awesome!

I'm an ex-mandriva user... Probably left the distro back in 2008 after too many hiccups from one distro to the next. Mageia sort of feels like coming home.

Congratulations to everyone who was involved!

Computer is AMD quad core, Gigabyte mobo, 8gb of ram, Nvidia video card (dual monitors), Samsung 830 120gb SSD, and network printer (WP-4530)
sleepy

Return to News and announcements