New games for Mageia 2

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

New games for Mageia 2

Postby juancho » Feb 10th, '12, 20:18

Hi,

In the past months I have been working really hard on adding more games to Mageia so they could be available for Mageia 2. I have concentrated on First Person Shooters as they're my favorite, but you are welcome to suggest any other game you woul like to see packaged. I have blogged about the new games you will have available on Mageia 2:

http://not403.blogspot.com/2012/02/its- ... games.html

If someone uses cauldron please try to test them and open bug reports at our bugzilla for any issues you may encounter.

Have fun !!
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Re: New games for Mageia 2

Postby juancho » Feb 16th, '12, 00:04

FIY, Warsow was updated to latest version 0.62, the same for World of Padman to the version 1.6.
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 27th, '12, 10:33

Nice idea. It's often an issue reported about linux.

Do you stay on Linux based game, or do you works also on wine emulated games and play on linux or emulator ?

thanks for your works.
Creator of : http://www.jaiuneidee.net a "direct democracy" website for France.
pmithrandir

Postby juancho » Feb 27th, '12, 18:47

Only games that at least it's engine is open source and data files are freely redistributable.
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby Nick_Djinn » Mar 13th, '12, 22:09

Urban Terror.
Mega-glest
0ad
World of Goo
World of Padman
Childrens games, like ones that teach them to use the mouse.
Nick_Djinn

Postby juancho » Mar 13th, '12, 22:54

Nick_Djinn wrote:Urban Terror.
Mega-glest
0ad
World of Goo
World of Padman
Childrens games, like ones that teach them to use the mouse.

I you read the blog post, Urban Terror and World of Padman are already included. 0ad has been included since Mga 1, World Of Goo is not free software, and Mega-Glest seems to be free software but we need to take a close look at the licenses for both engine and data before considering to include it.

Anyway, at this point we can't include any more games for Mga 2, they would be available for Mga 3, or even 2 if there's some day a backports repository.
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby Nick_Djinn » Mar 13th, '12, 23:36

I am not really into Stallmanism. I appreciate what he has done for free software, but am unconvinced that his approach with attract enough of a following from the masses to ever realize his goal on the larger scale. Tactical use of 'stop-gap' where libre is preferred but not required seems to be the approach that is bringing in the masses and making it competative against the mega-corporations.

Libre software is a fairly esoteric concern for most standard users. Its a concern for hackers, specifically hackers who follow the law voluntarily (in the case of open but proprietary software).

Anyway, are there any repos I can add to Mageia that are more lax about the scope of software they include?
Nick_Djinn

Postby juancho » Mar 14th, '12, 00:45

Well, fortunately we do care for free software and will always try use a free software alternative, when possible. Also If you haven't noticed, Mageia has a non-free repo where you can find some proprietary programs that allow free redistribution, and some scripts to download others that don't allow it like skype or flash player. But we have to draw the line somewhere, we can't start including any proprietary program because users ask. Flash, skype or ATI or Nvidia drivers are available because there isn't any free software alternative that is near as functional as the proprietary programs (and we can distribute them), so we don't have much choice in those cases. With games things are different, there are a lot of shareware games that we could include, but it would be big burden for us the packagers. For example, we would have to be checking it's license every time a new version is available to see if we can still redistribute it, what happens it's not allowed anymore, etc. Also we aren't layers, so having to give a license interpretation by us in many cases is not that wise. Also there are lots of really good free software games as you have seen, we should focus our efforts on those :)

Mageia is free software, not shareware ;) and in case you didn't notice, the download of World of Goo isn't even the complete program, just a demo, and there isn't any info on their site about the license terms for redistribution, so at least this one is out of the question.

So we aren't closed-minded free software zealots that want only free software because we want as it seems you think we are. As people like you that would like to have some proprietary applications available, there are some other's that don't, and that's why we have that repository, available but separate from the others and not enabled by default, but to be enabled by whomever wants to ;)
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 14th, '12, 21:03

Nick_Djinn wrote:I am not really into Stallmanism. I appreciate what he has done for free software, but am unconvinced that his approach with attract enough of a following from the masses to ever realize his goal on the larger scale.

Well, maybe i've missed something, but Mageia or linux in general is not about attracting masses of people.
It's about libre and free, high-quality open source software. Maybe you should read http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

@juancho: Even if the freeze is active now, we can still add new packages ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby juancho » Mar 14th, '12, 21:10

doktor5000 wrote:@juancho: Even if the freeze is active now, we can still add new packages ;)

Yes I know, but what I meant is that we can't add new packages to Mageia 2 ;)
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 14th, '12, 21:59

Yes, we can, that's what i've written. It's version freeze, on which new packages have mostly no impact.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby juancho » Mar 14th, '12, 22:10

Oh really ?? I thought that all submissions to the BS where blocked !! then I'll go ahead and add some packages I had in the queue :D
Juancho
Mageia Developer \m/
juancho

Postby pmithrandir » Mar 15th, '12, 09:55

doktor5000 wrote:
Nick_Djinn wrote:I am not really into Stallmanism. I appreciate what he has done for free software, but am unconvinced that his approach with attract enough of a following from the masses to ever realize his goal on the larger scale.

Well, maybe i've missed something, but Mageia or linux in general is not about attracting masses of people.
It's about libre and free, high-quality open source software. Maybe you should read http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

@juancho: Even if the freeze is active now, we can still add new packages ;)

I don't really get it..
What is wrong about attracting lots of people ?
For me it would be a proof that the mageia people do an even greater job, and that mageia was able to listen to the community to adapt the software to the main users.

What is the meaning to work so much and to want the result to stay confidential ?

On the contrary, I would love to spread mageia everywhere, as it is a great way to bne sure it would be here for long time.
Increase the community, get some view from official and recognition from Linux community, and you could be the next Ubuntu.

Mageia is not far from that. the MCC is still an advantage, KDE is way more user friendly whan ytou come from windows, and it is a lot more fun with all "gadget and plasmoid". (for someone like my girlfriend, that count more than everything else...)
Mageia is stable
Mageia got some buzz because of it's creation but it would not stay like that for long.
And moreover, mageia saw the 2 most powerfull competitor crash in on year (Kubuntu and mandriva)

if that is not the best moment to increase the popularity of mageia and to spread mageia 2 like hell... there will be no such moment for years maybe...

Check what ubuntu did, they created something easy to install, and build a huge community. nobody new tham 6 or 7 years ago, and now they are doing much more for Linux than all others distrubution together...(at this point, people think that linux = ubuntu...)
pmithrandir

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 16th, '12, 15:40

Maybe you haven't understood what i wanted to say. Linux (and Mageia) in general is not primarily targeted at attracting masses of people,
it's only about libre and free, high-quality open source software. So if we attract many people, that's only a nice side effect.

Also i've never said that it's bad to attract many people or to keep it "confidential", you seem to draw the wrong conclusions.

But you also seem to not understand what it implies and takes to handle such masses of people, currently we're struggling to keep the distribution going.
We have no appropriate documentation, the forum and support is totally understaffed and we're short on experienced people in many teams.
Ubuntu for example had gazillions to spend, and also a really good infrastructure, so it was easy to get millions of users, who wrote most
part of their extensive documentation and wiki articles for example. But the downside is that if you only aim for masses of users, mostly you get
masses of novices, but this also needs to be kept in balance. But we also need technically experienced people to work on the distribution, if noone
does it we can't keep up with all those users.

Also Ubuntu is quite a bad example regarding your last sentence, they have a really bad reputation among the FLOSS scene because they mainly only took, but didn't give much back, which open source is about.
back.
----
doktor5000

Postby pmithrandir » Mar 16th, '12, 16:49

I was more speaking about images for the masses.

Before, Linux was something for geek, not usable for end user, and reserved to a special type of people.
Now, you can find linux in desktop at work sometime. (I think that french gendarmerie is on Ubuntu, our military police)

And, as you say, it's all about exchange. People arrive in a distribution, they like it, so they help people on the forum, and after some times, they go to the wiki and add a lot of information on it, and become part of the team sometimes.
it take 100 user to make one contributor, and 100 contributor to make one packager, but at the end, you get something back.

For example, you are replying to a lot of topics, for example mine about issues on mageia.
but you are part of the team, so you would not use your time for that if the community was more powerful. or on some specific post flaged by moderation as "hard to resolve".

That's why i think we should get the duistribution more accessible to the masses, maybe by installing by default some tools, or by making some advertising on useful tools.

Example :
- kde root menu is not installed by default. But this small progrmm change your life by allowing you to not use the console at all if you want.
- NTFS / DOS partityion access never works when you install your linux. (it still giving me some errors after one year when I copy a file... permission error)

To have a system, or an option to install a bucnh of files with from non free would also improve the user experience. (chromium, flash, video drivrs, skype, DVD, MP3, etc...) you select the checkbox when you install the distruib, and it's usable the at the first startup.

(there is plenty of ideas like that, a specific topic could be a good start for it.)
pmithrandir

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 16th, '12, 18:55

pmithrandir wrote:Example :
- kde root menu is not installed by default. But this small progrmm change your life by allowing you to not use the console at all if you want.
- NTFS / DOS partityion access never works when you install your linux. (it still giving me some errors after one year when I copy a file... permission error)

To have a system, or an option to install a bucnh of files with from non free would also improve the user experience. (chromium, flash, video drivrs, skype, DVD, MP3, etc...) you select the checkbox when you install the distruib, and it's usable the at the first startup.

(there is plenty of ideas like that, a specific topic could be a good start for it.)

The last sentence summarizes it up quite good. Either do bug reports, or discuss it first in the forums
if you're not sure, but just discussing stuff is not enough. If you want something to change, you need to play your part
or you need someone to implement it, otherwise it will just stay ideas, simple as that.

Also, for the NTFS part, that is not true. In Mandriva and Mageia your windows partitions are mounted read/write
after the installation, you'll only get those permission errors for internal partitions, and it's an upstream KDE bug.

On a related note: Even when i'm part of the team i'll still do support, just because i'm good at that and i like doing that.
The reason for that is dedication, not just the need for support.
----
doktor5000

Postby djmarian » Apr 24th, '12, 09:23

I don't think more tools are a good idea if the system is slower on first install. Most of my friends complain about waiting for XP to start up so they can just see if they have an e-mail, afterwards shut down because it is not fun to waaaaaaaaaaaait for xp. Windows 7 gets more complicated, and in my opinion GNOME and KDE too. I prefer a fast OS and I'll give e17 a try on Mageia 2. Now i use the dual cd installation because i need as little packages as possible. Windows 7 is for children who want to play and, in my country, who download torrents for free (and the original software is at least 0,1 $). So about the price, I win users here because Mageia is free. Old people agree it is ok to use Firefox in linux, children don't like linux games.

So my two opinions about this are:
1 keep it simple - MCC does that, but maybe a separate DVD for windows newcomers (a full install of all possible apps from repositories - not meaning 10 music players...)
2 keep it free - or else... none will want it in Romania (here Mandriva failed)

I'm sorry that free is not nr 1, but this is what torrents did. I do have my custom and 'free' xp and 7 somewhere around... i think.

and about another post... more hits on the website during release is the proof that linux is stable and you won't download it two times (where windows... i recommend a custom version or a cd for monthly installation or an image of an almost fresh installation)
DjMarian
"When you're congratulated think if you deserve it, and if you think you do, don't be proud about it!" or something like that
Mageia 3 64bit LXDE, Atom 330, 2GB RAM
djmarian

Postby pmithrandir » Apr 24th, '12, 09:54

I forgot that post but :
Also, for the NTFS part, that is not true. In Mandriva and Mageia your windows partitions are mounted read/write
after the installation, you'll only get those permission errors for internal partitions, and it's an upstream KDE bug.

Is wrong... My user was never able to access the ntfs partition with both mandriva and mageia after the installation. I had to play with the partition option to get access to them...(and I always forget how to do it...)

@ djmarian : free and free are different.
We were talking about free phylosophy with doktor5000. The fact that some program are giving for no money, but thay comes with restriction on the licencing, or they are not open source.

Personnaly, I don't care, but mageia developers seems to do.

So it was not about starting to sell mageia.
pmithrandir

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 27th, '12, 20:55

pmithrandir wrote:I forgot that post but :

Is wrong... My user was never able to access the ntfs partition with both mandriva and mageia after the installation. I had to play with the partition option to get access to them...(and I always forget how to do it...)

No, it's not wrong, this has worked for me and countless others the whole time since Mandriva supported NTFS. The only change was recently as described in the thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=710 but again, only for internal partitions. External partitions will mount fine without changing anything (provided that the filesystem is clean, i.e. you always used the "disconnect safely" option under windows, which you should also use under linux)
----
doktor5000

Return to News and announcements