Mageia 6 RC is out

You'll find there general news and announcements about forums and Mageia

Mageia 6 RC is out

Postby neoclust » May 27th, '17, 00:09

it's finally here.

You can read the full announcement here -https://blog.mageia.org/en/2017/05/24/mageia-6-rc-we-are-nearly-there/

It has been up on the mirrors for a while, however, they are still catching up, so you might have more luck downloading with torrents for now, they are available on the download page here - http://www.mageia.org/6/

Happy testing!
neoclust

Re: Mageia 6 RC is out

Postby wilcal » May 27th, '17, 18:26

Kudos to everyone who helped create M6 RC. It's a great OS and I'm sure everyone will be impressed with the way it works. It's not over till it's over so if you've got some time do give one of the isos a whirl.
If you find anything post it here or even better file a bug, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly

Enjoy
Last edited by doktor5000 on May 27th, '17, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wording, replaced link
"DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
is my friend
wilcal

Postby lloyd » May 28th, '17, 14:41

I have found a couple of minor bugs so far. I burned the ISO to DVD. After getting RC installed (that's another story), I inadvertently left the DVD in the drive. I picked "boot from hard disk". Well, all it said was "BOOTING" and it just hung there.

First I tried installing RC using a UEFI BIOS. I really didn't (still don't) understand the (extended?) system partition thing. It was installed on /dev/sdc, a Samsung 850 SSD. GRUB2 did NOT find my Windows 10 partition (Windows 10 in installed on /dev/sda). So I tried something else. I re-installed RC the old-fashioned way, using legacy BIOS (non-UEFI). That worked much better for me. This time GRUB2 DID find my Windows 10 partition - probably because GRUB2 is now installed on /dev/sda.

Finally, on the Plasma 5 desktop....there seems to be no way (or I just haven't found it yet) to change the color of the text under the icons (I prefer black to white) and to get rid of the shadows around that text.

Thank you!
Lloyd
lloyd

Postby omnio » Jun 22nd, '17, 19:29

Hello,

I tested two Mageia live images, Mageia-6-rc-LiveDVD-Plasma-x86_64-DVD.iso and
Mageia-6-rc-LiveDVD-Xfce-i586-DVD.iso without installing them (on two laptops, Asus and Lenovo) and I noticed that none of them can mount my sdcard formatted as exFAT. I know there are discussions about this on the forum but I was a bit shocked by this problem. On one of my laptops I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 and it can mount the sdcard without any problems. I can help with more information if needed.
omnio

Postby jmdennis » Jun 24th, '17, 01:26

The two problems I had was trying to do the install using Legacy mode and it wanted to know the path of the iso. I still used Legacy mode but let it do the install in UEFI mode which worked fine. The only issue I had was when it came to book it had a grub error right away. I went into bios and changed the boot from my hard drive to uefi mageia and it booted fine and I have had no problems with it. I have not tested every thing on it but do enjoy using it and found the updates to be very nicely done. I have not used mageia in quite some time so nice to see it coming along nicely and changes made when they need to be made.
jmdennis

Postby lloyd » Jun 24th, '17, 14:01

lloyd wrote:I have found a couple of minor bugs so far. I burned the ISO to DVD. After getting RC installed (that's another story), I inadvertently left the DVD in the drive. I picked "boot from hard disk". Well, all it said was "BOOTING" and it just hung there.

First I tried installing RC using a UEFI BIOS. I really didn't (still don't) understand the (extended?) system partition thing. It was installed on /dev/sdc, a Samsung 850 SSD. GRUB2 did NOT find my Windows 10 partition (Windows 10 in installed on /dev/sda). So I tried something else. I re-installed RC the old-fashioned way, using legacy BIOS (non-UEFI). That worked much better for me. This time GRUB2 DID find my Windows 10 partition - probably because GRUB2 is now installed on /dev/sda.

Finally, on the Plasma 5 desktop....there seems to be no way (or I just haven't found it yet) to change the color of the text under the icons (I prefer black to white) and to get rid of the shadows around that text.

Thank you!
Lloyd

I think most of my problems came came from old files in /home/lloyd/.kde4 and /home/lloyd/.config (/home/lloyd is on a different drive). After deleting all the files in the hidden directories, things are working MUCH better.
lloyd

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '17, 15:45

omnio wrote:I tested two Mageia live images, Mageia-6-rc-LiveDVD-Plasma-x86_64-DVD.iso and
Mageia-6-rc-LiveDVD-Xfce-i586-DVD.iso without installing them (on two laptops, Asus and Lenovo) and I noticed that none of them can mount my sdcard formatted as exFAT. I know there are discussions about this on the forum but I was a bit shocked by this problem. On one of my laptops I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 and it can mount the sdcard without any problems. I can help with more information if needed.

There's no more information needed, fuse-exfat was never installed by default and probably never will be due to patent issues.
See e.g. https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16034

I've personally requested earlier to install this by default on mga6, and the decision was: no.
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16859
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby veflov » Jun 30th, '17, 16:36

In Mageia 6Rc does not work Kyle (TeX/LaTeX editor)
veflov

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '17, 16:14

Well, if you want to get that fixed then please report that as a bug, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
For completeness's sake and also to allow others to follow up on that bug report, please also post the link to it here in the thread, thanks.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby veflov » Jul 1st, '17, 17:09

Kile (TeX/LaTeX editor) does not work in Mageia 6RC .
veflov

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 2nd, '17, 02:55

No need to repeat yourself. Did you read my reply? This forum is certainly not bugzilla.
----
doktor5000

Postby mefisto » Jul 3rd, '17, 10:22

Well people,
Mageia 6RC works fine for me..
So far i have no troubles, so You see... Better easy and good thinking than fast and full of bugs.
Congratulations to all the great work on this release, great job !!!
Greetings,
Mefisto
mefisto

Postby mefisto » Jul 12th, '17, 14:12

mefisto wrote:Well people,
Mageia 6RC works fine for me..
So far i have no troubles, so You see... Better easy and good thinking than fast and full of bugs.
Congratulations to all the great work on this release, great job !!!
Greetings,
Mefisto

Oh, i forgot to ask, what do yje most Mageia uszes prefer ? Gnome or KDE desktop ?
I can make a choise, now i work with the Gnome on my 1TB Acer, is the KDE not to havy for that computer ?
And again... Mageia is far out the best, i like it !
Greetings,
Mefisto
mefisto

Postby richardwest » Jul 12th, '17, 19:25

I always prefer to use KDE if possible.

Not sure about your Acer but it runs on a Raspberry Pi (I use the word "runs" loosely :D )

I'm hoping one day to see a Mageia image for the Raspberry Pi.

snapshot1.png
snapshot1.png (247.98 KiB) Viewed 11870 times
Richard.
richardwest

Postby JMiahMan » Jul 13th, '17, 07:39

I prefer KDE myself as well. Can't wait for the new release.. Good Job guys!
JMiahMan

Postby mefisto » Jul 13th, '17, 11:19

Thanks richardwest,
Me acer XC-603 is not a good computer, and Mageia is best for that machine.
I have that computer (Desktop) about 2 jears, and they don't sale hem anymore !
And i like also KDE, but it takes a lot more of me free space.
Greetings,
Mefisto
mefisto

Postby saptech » Jul 14th, '17, 00:35

With Mga 6, I'm currently running Plasma/KDE for testing purposes since it's the default DE but I prefer Openbox & Mate normally with any distro.
Each One Teach One
--------------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
HP Compaq Elite 8300 | Intel Core i5 | 8gb | 120gb SSD
--------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb HDD
saptech

Re: Mageia 6 is out!

Postby lloyd » Jul 16th, '17, 03:07

Mageia 6 ISOs will on the mirrors PDQ! I'm d/l it right now!
lloyd

Postby morgano » Jul 17th, '17, 14:27

For lower power machines, try Xfce. There even are live Xfce Mageia 6 isos to try out :)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to News and announcements