Host name in the installer

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Host name in the installer

Postby georgi » May 10th, '15, 23:18

The idea is there, it was supposed to be ready for Mageia 5. However the RC is not including this option... Why? The only weak point of Mageia right now is the installer and this is not the only problem but its something important in my opinion.
georgi

Re: Host name in the installer

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '15, 23:54

Nope, it is listed as pending feature for Mageia 5: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/FeatureMageia5_Review
And it's at 0% completion https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:Add_ ... stallation) so this is probably the cause why it's not in there yet, simple as that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby georgi » May 11th, '15, 08:09

So that is the reason... Thanks anyway.
georgi

Postby filip » May 11th, '15, 10:54

georgi wrote:The idea is there, it was supposed to be ready for Mageia 5. However the RC is not including this option...
Actually it does although not in obvious spot. I installed RC from 64-bit classic media and set the hostname in network's Advanced dialog. IIRC it has been like that since years.

You can change it post install in MCC.

georgi wrote:The only weak point of Mageia right now is the installer and this is not the only problem but its something important in my opinion.
Can you elaborate and/or link to bug reports? Your report(s) might actually influence improvement(s).

Edit: added post install option.
filip

Postby doktor5000 » May 11th, '15, 12:36

filip wrote:
georgi wrote:The idea is there, it was supposed to be ready for Mageia 5. However the RC is not including this option...
Actually it does although not in obvious spot. I installed RC from 64-bit classic media and set the hostname in network's Advanced dialog. IIRC it has been like that since years.

You can change it post install in MCC.

Not possible for everybody as not everybody uses DHCP, and also the hostname change is not mandatory.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby georgi » May 11th, '15, 16:14

In my opinion except the already mentioned "problem" many other options should be revised (like the choice for GRUB1/2, I think GRUB2 should be the default but trying to install it gives me an error). I have not noticed any bugs though. At all simple installer interface should be considered.
Last edited by doktor5000 on May 11th, '15, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
georgi

Postby doktor5000 » May 11th, '15, 19:34

grub2 works fine here, no issues within installer. Didn't even notice that the installer automagically selected grub2 because I chose btrfs as / filesystem.

What is a simple installer interface? Keep in mind that the installer should be suitable for everybody, and that is not an easy task to change the installer.
And if you do not report bugs or enhancement requests the developers have no actual feedback they can work with.
----
doktor5000

Postby ChuangTzu » May 11th, '15, 20:08

"automagically selected grub2 because I chose btrfs as / filesystem."

A side note, what are your thoughts on btrfs...Do you think it is ready for use or still needs time to develop? Had some issues with it on openSUSE, so ran back to ext.4...
ChuangTzu

Postby doktor5000 » May 11th, '15, 22:10

Two years ago there still issues with it, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4659
It totally depends what you use it for, do you want the built-in RAID facilities, do want subvolumes, do you want snapshotting or other stuff.
As a plain filesystem both for / and /home works fine for me, no issues until now.

What problems did you have with openSuSe?
----
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions