Mageia wallpaper proposal

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Mageia wallpaper proposal

Postby Tefrem34 » Jul 23rd, '14, 00:25

Hello to all on the forums, :)

I couldn't figure out where I should post this, so I hope that it is okay.

I made a wallpaper for the community, or whom ever wishes to use it, and I wanted to share it.
I have it posted on my deviantart and flickr acounts, so which ever one you want to use (all about choice).
http://tefrem34.deviantart.com/art/Mage ... -470001273
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48688962@N04/14697487566/

I hope someone likes it and, if you are so inclinded, leave a comment .
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jul 23rd, '14, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted thread title
Tefrem34

Re: Mageia wallpaper proposal

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '14, 20:02

Tefrem34 wrote:I couldn't figure out where I should post this, so I hope that it is okay.

Hi there.
Moved the topic to correct subforum, no worries :)

I've also informed they guys and gals from artwork team. That wallpaper looks pretty nice,
and you seem really talented - you may want to join the artwork team: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Atelier_team
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jul 23rd, '14, 20:31

My compliments as well, i fully back doktor5000.
Keep on going!!!! ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby unklar » Jul 23rd, '14, 20:35

Yes Sir,
looks good!
tef.jpg
tef.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
unklar

Postby Max » Jul 23rd, '14, 22:36

That does look very nice, but unfortunately we can't accept it for the Mageia5 artwork competition because of the tilted cauldron in the logo.
It's actually quite a clever idea, and I wish I had thought of it, it looks great. But for the competition it needs to be logo free.

EDIT:
Let me be a little more clear.
I like the image, it looks great. But for it to be an "official" wallpaper there are two problems.
1) In order to compete in the competition for the wallpaper the image needs to not contain the Mageia logo (word and/or cauldron). We (the Atelier team) will put that in ourselves.
2) In order for it to be an official thingy of Mageia-the-organization, it needs to have the standard logo, with no deformities.
Please note that there is nothing wrong with community created work that does all manner of things to the logo, as long as it is not trying to represent Mageia in any way.
So, to summarize: it looks great, feel free to use it, but it can't be considered for an official Mageia 5 wallpaper.
Oh, and if you have time and would like to contribute on a more permanent basis, please contact us on the mailing list.
Max

Postby Tefrem34 » Jul 23rd, '14, 23:28

@dokto5000, thanks for moving it to the right place and for the complement. :)
@isadora, thank you. :)
@unklar, I am glad you like it and are using it. :)
@Max, I wasn't really planing on submiting it for the compition (it wasn't on my mind) I was just sharing it with the community. But if you want one that doesn't have an icon, I would be glad to make one, I did most of the hard work already. Is the translucent mageia acceptable? I used the colors from the wiki on wallpapers/icons, I just used some filters to make it look intergrated. I am glad you like the cauldron. I took advantage of my artistic licence in order to complement the flow and essence of the background, in addition, add to the ambiance of motion. I also wanted to make it some what diffrent from others work.
Thanks again for the positive feedback. :D
Tefrem34

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '14, 23:29

@Max: Don't you think this goes a little too far? He should remove the word Mageia and the nicely crafted logo, so artwork team will put it back in?

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous IMHO.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Tefrem34 » Jul 23rd, '14, 23:33

@Max, I was typing out the reply when your made you edit, so you don't need another reply. I have my answer. :)
I will give that mailing list a shot, I would be happy to contribute.
Tefrem34

Postby martinw » Jul 24th, '14, 01:10

Very nice! I think the artwork team should seriously think about changing the rules of the competition to let this in.
martinw

Postby Max » Jul 24th, '14, 14:40

doktor5000 wrote:@Max: Don't you think this goes a little too far? He should remove the word Mageia and the nicely crafted logo, so artwork team will put it back in?

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous IMHO.

He doesn't have to do anything. All I'm saying is that this is a really cool wallpaper and I personally hope that as many people see it as possible. Unfortunately we won't be able to use it in any official form. But that should in no way detract from anybody's enjoyment of this piece.
When the Atelier team present artwork, it comes from Mageia, the entity. That means that we need to conform to various rules and regulations, because we are representing Mageia, and what we present is what people will see. It's sort of like never having the queen of England make a public appearance in her bathrobe. Sure lots of people use bathrobes, and don't mind being seen wearing it on their front porch in the morning with a cup of coffee. But when it comes to presenting the official face of something, it needs to be official.
So when we bundle wallpapers with a Mageia release, they need to be official. And that means that they need to conform to the guidelines.
Of course Mageia is a community-centered distro, and we encourage the community to participate as much as possible. That's part of why we have these forums, and it's also why we are always excited to see new artwork being presented. The more good artwork there is, the more likely it is that more people will be able to customize their workspace to suite their individual tastes. Of course, we at Atelier are limited in what we can do, but the community is not. So we encourage as much creativity as possible. Of course, if you want your artwork to be part of the "official" release, then you need to conform to the guidelines.

We are working on a solution for a single place where all artwork, official and unofficial, will reside. That will make it much easier for people to create and share their artwork, as well as for people to browse for additional options. However, it's going to be a while. Right now we're busy working on Mga5 (which is why I immediately thought of this possibly being an official wallpaper, it's where my head is at) but when we have the time we'll try to get it to work. In the meantime, feel free to share your artwork on the forums, in the mailing lists or anywhere else.
Max

Postby Max » Jul 24th, '14, 14:43

martinw wrote:Very nice! I think the artwork team should seriously think about changing the rules of the competition to let this in.

Please see my above post.
tl;dr: Changing the competition rules isn't going to solve anything (because technically there is no problem to solve). There is nothing wrong with people using this wallpaper (or any other wallpaper for that matter), feel free. We just can't bundle it as part of an official release because of reasons.
Max

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 24th, '14, 17:44

Max wrote:
martinw wrote:Very nice! I think the artwork team should seriously think about changing the rules of the competition to let this in.

We just can't bundle it as part of an official release because of reasons.

Yep, because of reasons ... :|
Maybe it's just that the icon needs a refreshing new push - I mean, not much has happened for the official artwork so far.
Anyways, I'll leave it at that, this will lead nowhere. EOT for me.
----
doktor5000

Postby schultz » Jul 24th, '14, 19:33

I'll try to answer the questions brought here as best as I can.

Regarding changing the logo and it not being updated much:
After the initial logo was presented for MGA1 we stuck with that for a while, if memory serves until MGA3 when we switched to the current logo, which was a huge amount of work, both coordinating with the designer to get the files we need and implementing it in the artwork as well as on the website.
It was felt after this that we were happy with he way the logo looks in terms of representing Mageia, that is was professional and of a high enough quality. For reasons relating to maintaining a stable image and tryin to create a recognised brand for Mageia we are wanting to keep the logo steady. This also has the benefit of reducing the workload on atelier which is a little undermanned like most teams.

Regarding wallpaper guidelines:
I, and I think I can speak for everyone involved, found them rather hard to write, as defining what we wanted too much just didn't seem to be the right way to go about it, so apologies for leaving a large amount to be interpreted, but I feel its better this way than having everything tied down.
The use of the cauldron part of the logo in an abstract manner like here is something that I was never sure how to address, as I feel that it is part of the identity of Mageia, however, it is also a very nice feature to use in artwork as we can see here.
I feel that if it is possible to use the cauldron in such a way that it is still possible to add the logo umnodified then this would be ok.

We do provide a package that is suggested that contains additional wallpaper, normally some edits of the official one that weren't chosen and some others for the competition. I think that having images like this in that package is perfectly ok, yes it is an official package, but it is not the default and I feel that it makes these contests far more open to the community as a whole.

Well, I hope that this brings some clarity.
Atelier leader
schultz

Postby Akien » Jul 25th, '14, 16:47

schultz wrote:We do provide a package that is suggested that contains additional wallpaper, normally some edits of the official one that weren't chosen and some others for the competition. I think that having images like this in that package is perfectly ok, yes it is an official package, but it is not the default and I feel that it makes these contests far more open to the community as a whole.

My thoughts precisely. The "signature" wallpaper as it was called on the Atelier mailing list is the brand of Mageia 5, it will be what all review sites show when talking about the release, and what newcomers will have as default wallpaper. So it needs to have the "pristine" logo, we want people to know it and associate it with their Mageia experience. Now, I would like to include as many quality artwork from the community in the "additional wallpapers" package. The example in this thread would be a great fit as it is, with the altered logo.

It might also be interesting for the "signature" wallpaper competition though if it still looks great with the "official" logo.
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 25th, '14, 18:30

Maybe then a first step would be to make people know how they can install that package, and what that package is called at the very least ...
Only search results that show up for "mageia-theme-extra" (which I assume to be what you're talking bout) are the obvious ftp mirrors and madb and the unresolved https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9732 ... Not even a blog post mentioning how those that contributed to the past Flickr artdrop contests et al. can install those community backgrounds.

Totally apart from that, after rereading several times the Artwork guidelines and that blog post, I don't see any mention that cauldron+Mageia logo have to be omitted official wallpaper proposals/contributions. Can you please show me the relevant quote? Even Trademark policy shows that when building for Mageia, trademark usage is okay.
----
doktor5000

Postby schultz » Jul 25th, '14, 18:35

As I said, its suggested by mageia-theme, which for most standard installs will bring in the package.

I'm almost certain I fixed that bug, I'll have to check at some point, it was either for KDE or some Gnome crazyness that needed something.
Atelier leader
schultz

Postby Akien » Jul 25th, '14, 19:03

doktor5000 wrote:Totally apart from that, after rereading several times the Artwork guidelines and that blog post, I don't see any mention that cauldron+Mageia logo have to be omitted official wallpaper proposals/contributions. Can you please show me the relevant quote? Even Trademark policy shows that when building for Mageia, trademark usage is okay.

It's true that it should be made clearer, I think I noticed it too when translating the blog post to French.

In the guidelines there is:
When using the Mageia logo to create wallpapers, icon sets, or other original artworks:

Please adhere to the original colour scheme. Exceptions: if the logo appears difficult to read in your art project, consider using a monochrome black or white version.
Please do not separate the word "Mageia" from the bubbling Cauldron symbol. Exceptions: the Cauldron alone might be used in a piece of artwork, such as a wallpaper or icon.
Please adhere to the given element's original proportions -- that is, do not "stretch" the logo.

It lets think that the logo must not be too much altered, but indeed it does not state clearly that the background should be provided without logo (at least in the source file) and that the Atelier team will place the official logo on top of it where they see fit. I guess this logo restriction is more of an informal guideline that we forgot to wrote down in the wiki. I'll see that the guidelines get updated.
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 25th, '14, 19:09

Akien wrote:
Please do not separate the word "Mageia" from the bubbling Cauldron symbol.

I understand: artwork including the word Mageia together with the cauldron symbol is perfectly fine - complete contrary to the "informal guidelines" that the three of you mentioned.
----
doktor5000

Postby marja » Jul 27th, '14, 17:33

doktor5000 wrote:I understand: artwork including the word Mageia together with the cauldron symbol is perfectly fine - complete contrary to the "informal guidelines" that the three of you mentioned.

I can only confirm that I've seen notes for every wall paper contest in Mageia I've been aware of, that the wallpaper should (also) be provided without Mageia logo, because that would be added by art team, but I don't remember whether that was on mailing lists or somewhere else.

IMHO, only art team can work out what the best place is for the logo on that background in different situations (different screens on different resolutions).

Besides: I'm glad our official logo doesn't change too often: We still have a lot of T-shirts with the old one, there is a probably a large pile of CDs with the current one. The more often the logo changes, the more chance we'll lose money on any goodies we sell or provide.

The proposed background with tilted Mageia cauldron is certainly nice, though.
marja

Postby Tefrem34 » Jul 30th, '14, 04:59

I made a slight adjustment to the tone of the wallpaper; I added more depth and gave it a more substantial feel to it. I am currently working on other wallpapers, but if anyone has any requests or ideas, I would be happy to hear them.

http://tefrem34.deviantart.com/art/Mage ... 1406687924

Thanks
Tefrem34

Postby filip » Jul 30th, '14, 17:45

I looked for a few minutes some of your other work too. Most did took my breath away. I'm sure that eventually you'll be able to live from your art.
filip

Postby Tefrem34 » Jul 30th, '14, 18:31

Thank you for the kind comment. :D
It would be really nice to make a living from my art, and some day I sure hope that can be the case.
Tefrem34

Postby Tefrem34 » Aug 3rd, '14, 20:29

Here is another link to a new wallpaper I recently finished. However, I will be changing it in the near future to improve the icon and it's position, in order to accommodate persons who use desktop icons.

http://tefrem34.deviantart.com/art/Mage ... -472743981
Tefrem34

Postby BlueHat » Jan 2nd, '15, 06:32

saved both of em for possible future use :)
BlueHat

Postby daniewicz » Feb 4th, '15, 04:00

Very nice work Tefrem34. Much appreciated!
The dude abides.
daniewicz

Next

Return to Ideas and suggestions